Used 2002 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

2002 Nissan Frontier

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

LOVE my truck!
By Gena

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have had 3 Nissan trucks. A 1983, 1986, 2006 Titan and this one. I looked for months trying to find a crew cab 4x4 long bed. NOT easy but I drove 6+ hours to Utah to get this one. A friend went with me and we stopped to look at another one same year and she ended buying that one. Hers had a lift kit.

So mine is a SC super charge model and I am glad I got that one because the SE which is the one she got does not have the power I have. But I did put a lift kit on it and I really love how it handles. We took off into the Mts of Utah with 4 feet of snow and the truck did awesome. I have Bridgestone AT on both trucks and they really get you moving. Suck up the gas though but hey.

I also have a cap on it so the gas sucks even more. I get a lot of looks and folks say it's a sharp truck but the gas mileage is not up to par. I have to use the mid grade which is now $2.56 a gal. Doing a tune up was a challenge. I had to remove the super charge unit to get to some of the plugs. I had an upgrade muffler put on. I mainly have the truck because Nissan is the only truck that has a crew cab with a long 6 foot bed. I have had notes left on the truck from folks wanting to buy it.

I haven't had it in the shop much because I had a bunch done to it all at once which was a fortune but my friend did it. We drove from Las Vegas to Pennsylvania during the bad snow storm and I wanted to be sure I wouldn't have an issue.

If you do get this truck get the lift kit because it really does make a difference in the handling. Much more fun to drive.

As far as the comfort of the truck it is way better than the other trucks I was driving before this one. We drove both trucks 6 days across the coast during the worst snow storm and we probably drove 10 hours a day with several breaks because we have 2 very large shep mix dogs who rode in comfort as well in the back of the truck. I love driving this truck! It is comfy and I installed a JVC CD player with USB/Bluetooth. I have seen a couple trucks in my area but they are the extra cab short bed and they stare at my crew cab long bed wishing they had it!!

Best truck ever
By Alan Sargent

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SVE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I've had this truck for almost 14 years, it's been in the shop once. It still runs and looks great.

Great truck except for bogus OBD codes.
By Michael Huston

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SVE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I saved literally thousands of dollars by buying a code reader and simply erasing the bogus cat failure codes. I do almost all of the maintenance. including the timing belt; the truck has seen the inside of a shop only twice for small repairs. Some features of the design are stupid. Replacing the driver's side valve cover gasket is a total nightmare, because the intake plenum has to be removed. You also have to take off the plenum to replace the knock sensor, although it can be relocated to the top of the engine. I figure that these are dealer-welfare designs.

Altogether, I have been happy with this, my first truck. It is the perfect size for my hauling and commuting needs. I hear tI needed another truck. hat the new ones don't have the bugs of the '02s. Probably would buy one if

Avoid this Lemon
By ikeburns

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has been a lemon since the day I bought it.
The knock sensor and the catalytic converters (yes, plural) go bad at 100k miles, and you're looking at 3k to fix all this, or else you can't pass emissions.
I've talked to mechanics and they say that they see this all the time with Nissan frontiers.
You'll need to get the Nissan parts, because aftermarket parts aren't compatible and you'll waste your money, & still not pass emissions.
The AC has gone out on me twice, and even the electrical components struggle.
I've only got 145k highway miles, and I've struggled mightily with the catalytic converters, knock sensors, AC unit (broken twice), electrical, tailgate handle, door handle

Exterior design, I guess, but it's not that great. Definitely not worth the trouble you'll have with reliability

Catalytic converters, knock sensors, AC unit, and battery cables are all junk. Even the tailgate handle and the door handle broke. My suggestion is to actually have parts that work.

old truck new love
By carol_okc

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I looked long and hard for the perfect
truck - and I've found it.
I've always driven full-size pickups but wanted better economy, 4wd, a decent cargo capacity, and room for my two big dogs for everything except hauling the big round bales of hay.
Still have the 2500 Ram for the latter, but the Frontier handles everything else beautifully.
Since I tend to drive my vehicles forever, I wasn't concerned about this being older and having a bit over 100k miles on it.
I did have my mechanic go over it thoroughly, freshening several things that needed to be addressed, but still brought it in at my budgeted figure - and expect to drive it at least another 100k miles.
Can you tell I love it??

It delivers everything I wanted and then some. Finding one with the 5-speed manual took some doing, but I found it. I'm not used to the 'luxury' of power everything, especially in what is a working vehicle - this little beast is spoiling me fast.

My only complaint is that the owner's manual (yes, all manuals were in the dash, even after 9 years) is that the instrument panel/controls diagram is incomplete.. still trying to figure out what one toggle does, since it isn't identified in the manual.