2002 Nissan Frontier - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:
old truck new love
By carol_okc on 01/03/11 15:01 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I looked long and hard for the perfect truck - and I've found it. I've always driven full-size pickups but wanted better economy, 4wd, a decent cargo capacity, and room for my two big dogs for everything except hauling the big round bales of hay. Still have the 2500 Ram for the latter, but the Frontier handles everything else beautifully. Since I tend to drive my vehicles forever, I wasn't concerned about this being older and having a bit over 100k miles on it. I did have my mechanic go over it thoroughly, freshening several things that needed to be addressed, but still brought it in at my budgeted figure - and expect to drive it at least another 100k miles. Can you tell I love it??

Great truck, I'll stick with Nissan
By biker on 03/21/10 18:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

8 years and still going strong. I use my Frontier for towing a motorcycle trailer and it does fine. Not any reliability problems except my A/C compressor is a bit noisy when it kicks on at highway speed. Nice and cold though. It has held up well in the body and interior department as well. The 2.4l 4 banger with the 5 speed is adequate but won't win any drag races. The gas mileage is great. Even with a raised topper, I get 25 and without the topper I average 26-28 on the highway. The ride is a bit stiff but it is a truck after all. Overall I am very satisfied and plan to keep it a LONG time.

Little truck, lotta truck !
By john d on 02/23/09 17:13 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I use the truck primarily to tow a 3000 lb camper. The 3.3 L engine in the 2002 was rated at only 170 hp but this little truck seems to use all of them as it tows the camper plus another 500 lbs of camping gear as though it is not there. That is both with power and mileage. The camper and gear doubles the weight of the truck alone with no more than a 15-20 % increase in fuel consumption. For power I'm comparing it to my old Ford full-size with a 351 V-8. Never any maintenance in nearly 8 years of use other than regular preventative maintenance. Cannot recommend this little truck too much!!

Disappointed
By jratzloff on 10/06/08 14:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE-V6 Desert Runner 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the Desert Runner (100,000 miles) after owning a 97 Dodge. The heater core had to be replaced ($700), the heater controls on the dash were "stripped" out and did not work properly($250), and the air distribution box under the dash still needs to be replaced, but I won't do that for a while, if ever. I've had many small trucks, but none rode as rough as this one. I have replaced the shocks and will change tires soon. On a smooth road, it is great, but on a rough road, wow!. Steering wheel blocks the dash instruments (I am 6'3"). Truck looks great and has enough room inside for me, but I am really disappointed in the mechanical aspects of the truck, specially for a Nissan.

I'd buy again but Frontier too big now
By kyboy on 09/12/08 19:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Truck is babied. Other than oil and filter changes, no expense, but air went out at 45k. Still on original tires at 55k. Rear vibrated even when new, 55-65 mph. Gearing is very tall, making engine appear sluggish, took some time to get used to having to rev up to take off, but love the mpg, 24/28.

Nice & Slow
By Ben on 08/14/08 15:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck, nice looking, great mpg, very slow. I have an auto with 63,000. Something squeaks when i go over bumps.

Disappointment
By Joe on 07/07/08 22:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE-V6 Desert Runner 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

The 4X2 V6 Frontier has limited power and handles poorly. Don't try to go up hill in 5th gear with the A/C on. After 8,000 miles the A/C compressor pulley started squealing and then broke off. this truck will get stuck in HARD PACKED sand with all season tires so get the All Terrain. The stock speakers blew out twice on both sides and the cd deck always froze up. I just replaced them with aftermarket due to the warranty expiration. The # 4 and #6 spark plugs are very hard to get to and the alignment has never been correct. Even after getting new tires and having an ajustment kit added it pulls. The clutch pedal squeaks after every rain so keep WD40 in the garage. Generic fender flares fade!!

Awesome Frontier
By FYREGOD on 01/07/08 21:56 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have 2 complaints with my truck. It's averaging below 20 mpg. I previously owned a '99 S-10 V6 that averaged just over 20 mpg. I was really expecting the newer Frontier to be a little over 20, but I average about 18. Half of my 60 daily commute miles are highway. A few months ago I drove 1500 miles to visit family in California and it averaged 19 mpg (averaging 80 mph). I am very impressed with it's performance. Shortly after purchase the stereo won't play or eject CDs (err03), but it sounds great still. I am also considering buying a new extended cab Frontier when this one is paid off. Overall I'd give it about a 95% satisfactory rating.

2002 Nissan Frontier Saved my Life
By doris on 07/25/07 13:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab XE-V6 2WD SB (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has been a delight to drive. In only 4 short months, I grew to LOVE it and the ability it provided to haul things around. However, last weekend, I ran off the road in the rain and crashed head-on into a large tree. My truck gave its life for me! The police officer said I probably would have been killed, or certainly seriously injured, were it not for the air bag and seat belt. My air bag, seat belt, and the structural integrity of the truck saved my life. I had only a few bruises. The truck was totaled, but I was so impressed by its performance while I owned it and in this worst of circumstances, that I'm buying another one!

July 2007
By July 07 on 07/12/07 10:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab Standard 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck from my father. I have had it for 2 months and it has 35,000 miles on it. Yes I said 35,000! Absolutely no power. Basically it is like driving a low model 4cyl sedan. Get the 6 cyl if you expect to haul anything. Forget about the accelerating with the AC on. Getting about 21 MPG highway as I really only drive on highways. Belts squeak a lot. I would recommend buying this truck if you can get it below the Edmunds vehicle pricing. It is handy to drive around. No mechanical issues since it was in the family - it was bought new.