2014 Lexus GS 350 Consumer Review: Great Chassis Terrible electro

2014 Lexus GS 350 - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (3.5L V6 8-speed Automatic)

Great Chassis Terrible electronics
By techtroop on

2014 Lexus GS 350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Leased this car after Hyundai Genesis & I wanted a more engaging chassis & I certainly got strong capable handling. I HATE the terrible dash & electronics setup & contrast with Genesis was shocking. iPod integration, NAV, route management, radio presets are so poorly done on the Lexus that you will hardly use them. Most everything is many extra clicks to do anything and then still works badly. Steering wheel controls poor E.g. media player jumps from tracks w/o regard to artist or album. Car beeps when lights set to auto and you open the door. older iPod shows up as USB & then says no songs. Great driving car, but you won't get much value out of the dash. Test before buying

Handling, responsiveness of chassis, genuinely sporty experience.

Find someone that knows how to setup a modern dash. If this were a app that someone had to buy they would sell zero!!!! Seriously - look at other products, build a new specification, fire the current designers and start over! e.g. zoom the map or tune the SAT channel is easy w/o looking on the Genesis yet requires eyes off the road on the Lexus and more steps all the time. Seats are too hard, a little more cushion in the bottom would be an improvement. premium fuel and unimpressive mileage for performance. FIX the ROAD NOISE - tire roar is too loud.
By jlsexton
on 07/29/14 16:33 PM (PDT)

Shame, Lexus GS, reviewed so poorly, I was considering it to replace my 06 Avalon limited BUT I'll now look elsewhere. BMW 535I, AUDI A6, maybe even a Hyundai EQUUS.

By brannwry
on 11/28/14 17:17 PM (PST)

At the end of August, 2014, I purchased a GS350 AWD with luxury package. I was trading a 2001 530i, stick, which I loved, but wanted a car that was easier to drive but still had a modicum of sport sedan in it. I found that in the GS line of Lexus. When I test drove the BMW 528i to compare it with the GS, I felt (and my wife agreed) that BMW had lost the BMW spirit in the 5 line. In addition, the GS has much more comfortable seats than the Bimmer. BTW I tested 10 cars before deciding on the GS, and I drove the finalists more than once each. I did not test drive the Audi A6 because I owned an A4 from '98 to '02, and overall did not like that car. Thus Audi was not in the running for me. The GS handles very well, has plenty of torque throughout its arc, and feels like a real sport sedan whether in the Eco, Normal, or Sport mode. It is a pleasure and fun to drive. The electronics interface is very hard to learn, but Lexus still has basic commands on the dash, i.e., "Radio and Media" so a new owner can fall back on those if need be. A new owner can always call a product specialist or salesperson to ask HOW something works. I find, too, that having learned the functions I most want to use, I am comfortable with the tech. Nevertheless I hope Lexus improves this aspect for later buyers. Any friend or neighbor who rides with me and my wife in this car usually remarks that this is a really lux car. They also comment on what a great ride it has. It was hard for me to leave the BMW family, but I really found this car was a better overall sports sedan in the mid-size category. I recommend that anyone who likes to really enjoy driving test drive this car and more than once. I like mine every time I drive it!

By rog26
on 11/13/14 07:34 AM (PST)

Your review is highly biased and your tone is not neutral - you seem frustrated. 1. It looks like you bought the 50k+ car without even a test drive to see if you liked the seat or not or if it worked with your iPod or not. 2. If things are not clear to you (like how to do a radio preset), you didn't even try to figure out or read the manual or just google it! 3. Every car manufacturer has its own system - you'll need to learn it - don't expect it to be same as your previous car. 4. Car beeps - you can turn that off in setting! 5. Media player jumps - did you uncheck the "RANDOM" button in the system? 6. Road noise - check your tires? Either it came with 'SPORT' or low profile tires which are inherently noisy or you've damaged your tires (on a railroad crossing that you didn't bother to slow down maybe?) Good luck - next time when you buy - check the car out first.