Used 2006 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 187 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2006 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Worst i every owned - i regert purchasing this.
By rayamash

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

i purchased the 2006 liberty with the Turbo Diesel engine. this is the 2.8L 4-clyinder. i had nothing but problems with this and had to fix all the short commings that chrysler failed to install. for example:
1) chysler never installed a fuel lift pump for the diesel and instead relied on the high pressure injection pump mounted on the engine to suck the fuel from the tank at back of the veichle.... this created vacuum issues and caused air to be sucked in and cause fuel cavitaion issues and engine stalling. Solution: i purchased $100 auxilary fule pump from napa and installed this.
2) chrysler routed the crankcask venilation back into the tubo instake... Problem: all oil vapers are condense in the intercooler and cause blockage of intercooler and cause engine to starve of air and smoke like hell due to wrong air/fuel mixture. Solution: cost me $500 to have intercooler replaced. then install a hose to vent crankcase vapers to atmosphere.
3) the fule filter is only 10 micron rating...not fine enough for the CRD injectors...Problem: fine particles pass right through the fuel filer and destroy the injector(s) Solution: i had to purchase all 4 new idiesle injectors at $800 each ..YES!!! $3200 for new injectors before tax and labor!! AND ..chrysler is the only provider of these injectors because nobody else in america sells these parts!
4) the engine threw a rod and punched hole in motor block and seized up at 151,000 miles. Solution: junkyard
chrysler abandoned all the jeep liberty owners...

DONT EVER BUY A JEEP LIBERTY....YOU WILL REGET THIS DECISION AS I DID. Learn this from me...

Love this Jeep...
By Bob

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Got my 2006 Liberty in 2012 W/80,000 mi on it. Had the recalls done. Done nothing else but routine Maintenance. It likes Mobil 1 High mileage full synthetic. I've been from The Florida Keys to New England and back whith it. 192,000 mi on it and going strong, love it. Good gas mileage For a Jeep too.

most unreliable suv ever owned, death trap
By v

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I was a jeep lover until I bought this jeep. Slows down from 55 , jerks stutters will not accelerate. Acts as if its going to just stop. Took it in for recall of tow hitch and catching on fire. Who wants a car that hesitates, will not accelerate without reason. More people will get killed. Had to wait for engine code replaced coil pack, tuned up, engine light comes on then drops code. Abs anti skid, eps warning lights on, replaced radiator. Cooling fan, brales, tires. Sensors. Over $2500 in a month. Scared to drive it I've replaced the regulator and the other replaced before I bought it.

Still in love
By rachmox

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my Liberty in Feb '07 with 54 miles on her.
She's now at 162K miles, and I've only had to replace a rear control arm and the right rear passenger side window motor up until recently.
The left rear window just crapped out a couple of months ago, and I'm about to replace my water pump and fix a leak in the evap system, but after 6.5 yrs, I can't complain.
She's been the most reliable vehicle I ever owned.
Took a hit from a light rail train that clipped my driver's side sideview mirror.
It didn't even take the arm off, only the mirror itself popped out!
A freaking train!
I was in an accident in Dec and begged my insurance not to total her.
So yeah, I love my Liberty.

I love that the window controls are between the seats, and not on the doors. No worrying about the dogs stepping on the button and choking themselves. Plenty of room for 5 people. All around fun vehicle to drive!

Better motors for the windows, since that seems to be a major issue with a lot of Liberty owners.

Not Good
By jillcurry5

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my Jeep Liberty for 5 years, I have had to have my air conditioner fixed 3 times. The windows have dropped 5 times, there was a recall on some jeeps in 2006, bad luck for mine did not make that cut, I now have 2 windows broken and don't have 700.00 to fix them.Too bad say's Jeep, The back seat is covered in stains,because of a the type of material used .
I will never buy another car from Jeep, and very sorry I bought the one Im stuck with.

When you make a product that is just not good, take responsabily and fix the problem...