2003 Silverado SS: Fun and Functional
By Bryan C on
2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)
Okay guys, here's the real scoop on SS performance. I'm just back from Palm Springs where I hauled my 23 foot travel trailer 120 miles with my new SS. 12.9 mpg while pulling 2 tons+ of trailer (and I wasn't even trying to be conservative!). I set the cruise control at 60 mph, pushed on the trailering button and let it go on its own. To get that kind of performance out of a vehicle thats rated at 13 mpg city and 17 mpg highway is awesome! My personal modifications: electric brake control (for trailering), SnugTop solid tonneau cover and carpet kit to the bed. Now, all I've left to do is tint the windows!
Favorite Features
Where do I start? The heated leather seats with lumbar support? The auto dimming mirrors? The Bose 6 disc Stereo system? The dual zone climate control? For someone like me who's not used to all the "bells and whistles" (I used to drive a Ford truck), this is luxury!
Suggested Improvements
To add the tonneau cover, I had to remove the tailgate spoiler, have four holes filled that were found underneath, and have the tailgate repainted, but the truck looks great. (The suggested hole plugs just wouldn't do. Not for a 40K truck!) How about a tailgate that is hole free?