Used 2018 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0T GLI
Which Jetta does Edmunds recommend?
The range-topping GLI is the most compelling of all the Jetta trims for those shoppers who prioritize performance. But we recommend that most buyers take a look at the SE Sport, which hits the sweet spot among Jettas for performance, comfort and value. Its engine has more oomph than the one in the base Jetta, and it has a solid complement of standard creature comforts.
Edmunds' Expert Review
- Spacious cabin feels like a class larger
- Large trunk has plenty of space
- Quick acceleration with optional engines
- New, longer warranty coverage
- Downmarket cabins in many trim levels
- Limited availability of advanced safety features
- Not much fun to drive because of lifeless steering and handling
|Overall||6.4 / 10|
The Jetta with the 1.8-liter engine is a bit of a drag racer among compact cars — faster than almost all its rivals. But show it a corner, and it fails to deliver any semblance of responsiveness, engagement or confidence. Lower trims with the smaller 1.4-liter engine would fare even worse.
The Jetta is a small sedan you could envision taking a cross-country road trip in as it is suitably quiet and comfortable. Is it more so than its competitors? Not really, and it also can't match the altogether more impressive Volkswagen Golf.
The Jetta's generous size would be the reason to consider this car, especially in one of its less expensive lower trims. Quite simply, this is one of the most affordable ways to get a new family-friendly sedan.
A huge trunk goes a long way toward making the Jetta a truly practical sedan. Its cabin storage isn't quite as impressive, ranking about average.
Most helpful consumer reviews
Features & Specs
Our experts like the Jetta models:
- Blind-Spot Warning System
- Alerts you with visual and audible warnings if other vehicles are in your blind spot.
- Post-Collision Braking System
- Applies the brakes once the airbags go off to reduce the possibility of further damage during an accident.
- Forward Collision Warning
- Sounds an alert when a front collision is likely, and primes and applies the brakes if necessary.