Used 2003 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Prius for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Drive a Prius

RLG, 03/22/2009

Our vehicle mileage just went over 100,000 miles. This car is amazing. We have averaged about 50 mpg for almost eight years. It's so quiet.

Love the Prius! still going.............

Tone, 08/30/2002

To my surprise,the Prius is a great hybrid car. The Prius has very arrowdynamic exterior styling,especially in the front. If you want a hybrid car,this is a great choice.I have about 500 miles on my new 2003 prius. 507 to be exact and I'm stil on my first tank of gas!!!!!!! LOVE the gas mileage! This car is huge on the inside:).It seems almost like you are sitting in a Camry. Not the best looking car I've ever seen, but it is definitely great value for the dollar. All Toyotas are.:)

Toyota Hybrid is a Winner

homertcornish1, 08/27/2006

After 4 years of driving I have found the 2003 Toyota Prius an excellent auto in every category except for comfort. The newer models are 5 inches longer which should improve the comfort. My average highway mileage is over 50 mpg regardless of speed. In town mileage is closer to 45 (Toyota claims you get better mileage in town but its not true). It has plenty of power to go up mountains and can keep up with the best of cars and trucks on the Interstate. I have had only one minor glitch during the 4 years of my ownership and that was a minor computer that was replaced free by Toyota. Maintenance has been comparable to a regular gasoline car, except for the $700 cost of the 60,000 maintenance.

Glad I bought mine when I did

jack, 11/12/2006

Very comfortable driver's seat.

The best car I've ever bought

diesel power, 03/21/2004

I purchased my 03 after test driving the 04 model. I bought the 03 as 6ft tall adults can fit in the back, something not possible in the new model. I now have 16k miles on my car, and I've had 0 warranty issues with this car. Lifetime fuel economy so far is 46.8 mpg. This number keeps climbing. Toyota has brought us the future of automobiles. The rest of the industry needs to take notice, or risk being left to oblivion. I routinely drive over 35k miles annually. I've driven this car on a 3200 mile round trip from Dallas TX, to Haliburton, Ontario, and back. It's performance was nothing less than stellar.

Just the car I needed

donpar, 07/11/2004

I mostly do relatively (less than 10 mile) commutes which involves a lot of city street driving. Under these conditions, the mileage is excellent, never less than 40 mpg. Don't do a whole lot of highway and hill driving so can't comment on that. For what I need the car has exceeded my expectations.

Fun to save

Klebel, Wolfgang, 10/17/2004

I just have the Prius for a few week, but my dribving has changed. I save more gas because I drive with an eye on the Power picture, always being aware a little less gas can save it and get me there in good time. Especiallthe stopping and starting is more leasurly and saves!

Completey satisfied

Maine-iacs, 03/21/2005

We have tracked mileage for every tank of gas, averaging 53 mpg all around during summer months and 44mpg during winters. We do a 44mile commute each workday at 55-60mph. Two riders with total weight of 290lbs. We see no signficant drop in mileage when on the interstate at 70-75 mph. We plan to purchase another

Great car... wave to the gas pumps

icvalue, 11/08/2007

Outstanding car overall, Great gas mileage (46 avg.). Very reliable car. Better acceleration than most small cars and it handles very well. Much roomier than I expected.

A little bit disappointed

Scott, 05/23/2006

We were so excited to own this car. It is our first new car and I share it with my wife. We drive it more then average drivers ~18-19000 per year. We average 40 miles per gallon and that is when we do not use the air conditioning. We have asked our Toyota dealership about it and they have not been able to answer except by saying it must be because we always accelerate too fast, which is untrue. We also recently had to replace the "transmission knob sensor" at a cost of $750 and it was no longer under warranty. we have also had some other quality problems with the car. It also goes through tires faster then other cars.

Happy Hybrid owner

ColoradoHybrid, 05/01/2005

Enjoyable to drive with plenty of pickup and great turning radius. At ~50 MPG real milage (a bit higher in summer and lower in winter) you have to love passing the gas pumps. Even after ~500 miles I seldom put more than 10 gallons in per fill up. Works to climb the Colorado hills, but still holds it's own. 'B' actually comes in handy decending on grades. I love my Prius so much I just put a deposit on the soon to be released hybrid-Highlander. Narrow tires cause some handling issues on grooved asphault.

worth the wait

garmar73, 11/26/2003

I researched the Prius for two years before I bought one. The machine is, I feel, very sound from an engineering point of view and assembled in such a manner that I have not had to return to the dealership for necessary warrenty work, as I have had to with other new cars that I have purchased. I would not drive anything else.

Better than Advertised

prius driver, 12/17/2003

The Prius is dead-on reliable. It has been my every day driver for two full years now and it has averaged about 51 miles per gallon. It does inspire me to try to squeeze every extra mile I can out of each tank of gas, but when I need to be in a hurry it rises to the occation for that, too, while still getting excellent economy.

Love the Prius

thyde, 12/24/2003

I went from a Ford Expedition getting 11 mpg to the Prius and am saving over $100/mo in gas. Pickup is surprising (it's no sports car, but for what it is, it moves better than you might imagine.) Has excellent standard features and the Toyota reliability.

She rocks!

Diane, 12/29/2005

I have never been happier! She rides great! Looks great! Is amazing on gas! Much more room than one would think! I can't say enough great things about my Prius! Thanks, Toyota!

I Love My Prius

jussmith, 01/03/2006

I have owned a Prius for 2 1/2 years. I love it. I have had no trouble with it. The only time it did not start the temperature was 40 below zero and I really don't think many cars were starting that night. I have had no problems with the car. I would probably get better milage if I lived in a city instead of the country. If I keep my speed to 50 miles/ hr or less i can get 52 miles/gal. But since I drive 40 miles a day to work one way and my speed is between 65 and 70 miles/ hr i"m getting about 45 miles/ gal. the car is wonderful the only thing I would change is that I really like a sun roof and this year did not have one.

Great fuel saver

DMcGee, 04/09/2004

Excellent vehicle, would never give it up. Going to buy the Toyota hybrid SUV once it is avalible.

A DRIVING PLEASURE

LANNAHOE, 04/25/2004

INCREDIBLY QUIET DRIVE, GREAT POWER WHEN YOU NEED IT. COMFORTABLE, RELIABLE, A SHEER PLEASURE TO DRIVE

The perfect ten.

zes, 03/02/2006

Without question the best car I ever had. Fun to drive. Excellent quality. Perfect reliability. Efficient, great handling, clean exhaust. Great dealer relationship. Affordable, consistent 50 MPG fuel consumption.

2003 Toyota Prius Hybrid

Aennchen, 10/22/2003

My husband and I bought this car in Feb. 2003 anticipating gas prices to increase with the possibility of a war in Iraq. We drive approx. 2000 miles/month so fuel economy without sacrificing comfort is important. The Prius has not let us down.

WHAT A CAR

MIKE G, 12/06/2002

IF YOU NEED A COMMUTER VEH AND WANT TO SAVE SOME MONEY THEN THIS IS THE VEHICLE FOR YOU. ITS A MINI LEXUS. CLIMATE CONTROL, QUIET, FUN, AND CAN CRUISE AT 75. THERE IS JUST SO MUCH THAT YOU CANT SEE ON THE FIRST DRIVE. I STEADILY GET 47 MPG HWY AND CITY. I GO ALL WEEK WITH OUT FILLING UP. THE BACK SEAT CAN SEAT ADULTS AND BE COMFORTABLE. TRUNK IS LARGE. AND THIS CAR IS QUIET.I LOVE THIS CAR, I AM A BIG CAR GUY, BUT THIS FITS THE BILL FOR WORKING, I TRAVLE 30K MILES A YEAR AND NO PROBLEMS

My Prius

cob111, 02/10/2003

great gas mileage. Fun to drive. Feel like I contributing to reducing dependency on foreign oil by driving

Toyota Hybird

Clara, 11/14/2003

Fun to drive and it is very comfortable and the gas mileage , you can not beat it. I would buy another one for sure.

Love it!

L. Keeling, 04/22/2004

Fun, peppy, turns on a dime. Pull into any spot.

Will never buy a gas car again

newyawk2000, 11/30/2008

I bought my 2003 model Prius in late 2002. At the time only two hybrids were available in the market, the other was Honda civic. I chose the Prius because it was roomier. I had a major engine problem a year ago but thankfully was covered under warranty: The fuel injectors were replaced. Otherwise the only other problem has been the tires wearing out fast. Make sure you get a warranty on tires.

wouldn't drive any other car.

Jerry22, 10/05/2002

Love it, it's a hybrid that I can live with. It's easy on the road, and easy on the enviroment. It's a car for the future. It's a car for the now. It shames the Suv's, even though the people in them don't know it.

surprise!

bruce bagnell, 10/14/2002

driving the Prius is a surprise. It handles very well, turns on a dime, gets great gas mileage without being tied to an extension cord, has many luxury vehicle features, and lots of power. Toyota did not scimp on this one!

Super Duper Prius

Ivan Urbina , 10/01/2002

The performance of Prius is great! I would say that this is a radical type of car. The instruments are like futuristic. The monitor display gives you information of average mile/gallons, the battery energy storage and many other stuff. (I kick my self for not purchasing the model with a mapping device) The design is sleek and aerodynmanic. I found very confortable on the ride even on bumpy road. The GAS MILEAGE consumption is super duper great!!! The inside four people sits confortable. The fifth person would have to be skinny. But all in all, this car is great for transportation and saves on gas!!!

ching ching!

kramerica, 10/26/2002

Hey, it's all about the money, admit it! This is my first car and it'll be hard to top this. I wanted a great ride with some great mileage. I purchased my silver prius in july and have gotten a lot of oohs and ahhs. More importantly, I've gained a couple things. One, incredible gas mileage in a brand I've come to respect. Two, how much I really drive and my driving style. Those two have resulted in better mileage, savings in money, and a more comfortable ride. In general, a great car for a first time buyer. And if that ain't enuff, it's super clean and you get a tax break, unbelievable!

What a great car

PriusONE, 12/02/2002

I was a little hesitant to buy before the technology was proven, but once I drove the Prius I was sold. Its a great little car that feel much bigger when your driving. I live in the city and the turning radius to grab a parking spot is amazing.

Great little Car!

gran1, 12/10/2002

I've only driven big vehicles and when we moved to the country, I had to re- think my gas mileage. I decided to "get as good as I could get" and that was a Prius. I hate little cars that make you feel like you're in a little car. This one doesn't!! It's great! Rides great and very comfortable! And will run like a scalded dog when I need the power to pass. I'm very pleased with this car. I still miss my 4Runner, but I love the mileage in my Prius!

Ken's Prius

kennethj, 12/26/2002

My car has lived up to my expectations. It has not given any problems for the 15000 miles that I have had it. It drives well, rides good, and is fun to drive.

great car

nedlaw, 02/11/2003

This car is fun, zippy, quiet, safe and comfortable, and you feel good about minimizing impact the environment, and minimizing our national dependence on oil!

The Greatest Car I have ever owned

JoJa, 02/12/2003

I love the car for its design, economy, enviromental concerns, and comfort. Out on the road, it is great. I am old enough to have had many cars, and this is my very favorite.

Technology that works-and its fun

rmstrauber, 02/13/2003

I bought the Prius because I believe that it is the best technology available at this time to promote environmental resposnsibility and reduce our dependence on oil. The first 3000 miles included a 1000 mile trip to Fla. on interstates at 70 mph and 2000 miles of local driving in an urban setting. The car lives up to all expectations, it is comfortable and fun to drive.

Meryl Streep is right!

donallen, 02/16/2003

Meryl Streep (who owns a one) asks "why doesn't everyone drive a Prius?" Toyota engineering brilliance has seen to it that there's no sacrifice to getting 50 mpg. This is a solid, comfortable, roomy, powerful, well-made sedan that delivers the mileage Toyota says it will.

Totaled my '02; immediately bght an '03

CWH, 02/21/2003

Most comfortable car that I have ever owned. 660 miles in one day and felt better than 400 in my Mercury Sable. Exceeds every expectation that I had. SAFE. In a near headon it acted just like a race car; ie. passenger cage was solid and the rest of the car absorbed impact energy. Air bags deployed and I walked away UNHURT.

A Terrific, Fun, and Responsible Car

mgenito, 02/24/2003

I have driven my new Prius over 5,000 miles and have loved every minute of it. It is a terrific answer to those seeking to drive a more environmentally responsible car, without sacrificing the look, feel, and maintenance of a more traditionally powered car. It not only significantly reduces air and water pollution, but noise pollution as well wehn it slips into electric mode.

Hybrids are the BEST!

awilley, 07/03/2003

The Toyota Prius is an amazing vehicle! The Energy & Consumption displays definitely make me feel more connected to my vehicle's performance. I find myself doing everything I can to increase my average MPG. My average is about 500 miles per TANK (and with a compact-size tank, it doesn't cost much to re-fuel). Though it's more expensive than other cars on the market, I feel this is the best investment I've ever made! It's a wonderful car and I think everyone should own a hybrid!! Here's to cleaner air and less dependence on fossil fuels...

BEST OF ALL

jsmjr, 07/25/2003

I have owned this car since October 2002 and drive about 15,000 miles a year. On average I get around 45 miles to the gallon, and would be getting more if I didn't live in a hilly community. Can't say enough about this car. I have owned many new cars in my lifetime, and this care is fantastic.

Clean Green Lean Machine

Brad Munger, 08/05/2003

Excellent energy efficieny and "super ultra-low emissions car. Pushing 50 mpg actual, this is a smartly engineered, high quality vehicle, with excellent safety features. Well laid-out spacious interior for a compact vehicle, sits four adults comfortably, with adequate trunk space. Safety features ABS, DRL, front- and side-airbags. Adequate power and speed (does 85 mph without problems) with aceptable--but not performace-- handling. Great car for in-town or road trips. Mileage superiority really shines in town.

Fuel-efficient fun

KevB, 08/16/2003

High tech features make this fuel-efficient vehicle a bit quirkie, but it's a gas to drive. It's all Toyota, so quality is built in.

Fight High Co$t of Fuel

Flyingwest, 08/23/2003

My doctor convinced me to purchase a Prius. He had 55,000 miles on his 2000 Prius and found it to be extremely reliable. It was enough for a doctor's needs. I had researched the Prius on the internet looking for fault. I found none important. I have a ball each time I drive. I am a commercial pilot.

Love this car!

barryaz1, 08/27/2003

I bought the Prius because I'm an environmentalist. I drive it because it really is a very enjoyable little car to drive in the city. I've always had Hondas and I appreciate the tight, precise handling. The Prius is even a little better than our Honda Accord in that regard -- driving is almost effortless. The steering is very smooth. The ride is quiet. The driver's seat is positioned well and is quite comfortable. And of course, it helps when you can feel a little bit of pride in what you drive. If you support American energy independence and clean air, you should be in one of these.

love it in a way

frank60446, 09/01/2003

car is great except the promise gas mileage 38 mpg is not 45 and i was told they going to lower there rating every time i take a small trip to the store the mileage drops and when i am on the highway the milage drops i cant kept going 45 mph all the time which is about where i get the best mileage i am having a problem with the sterring wheel shaking when i first start it up problem is service department dont believe me

Biggest, Cheapest, Efficient Car Yet!

clunyusa, 09/06/2003

All around the Prius wins! A small footprint on the environment coupled with performance, interior room, including high seats and head room.

prius

pivocome, 02/28/2003

excellent gas mileage and a very smooth ride. excellent interior and extreamly low emissions. I love this car. it rewards all of the proper driving techniques that everyone should follow. slow starts and slow stops, perfect.

Can't Beat the Prius

Clogdancer, 09/09/2003

I had my pristine 92 XLE Camry ripped off and totalled. I went to my dealership in search for a used Prius. They are rare. One pulled in: Emerald Gold flake. I could not believe our luck. It had every option. It looked new on the interior and exterior. It handles GREAT! Very small turning radius! Plenty of pep. This is not a whimpy Echo. Did you know that going from 30 to 60 MPH, the Prius can beat a Porche? The 2002 Prius is a tried and true design. The example I purchased is quieter than the top-of- the-line Camry XLE, or Avalon.

Mr. Economy

Steve L, 09/13/2003

This automobile is very comfortable ahd quiet. My average fuel economy is 44 mpg with the majority of trips being 3.5 miles to and from work. I have read other reviews of the cars poor handling but I find those views to be untrue. This car hugs the twisties and is very predictable in its responses. Power is marginal but adequate. Passing power band is acceptable with a top speed of 104 mph on level road. Top mpg I've gotten was 53. The feel of the car is much larger that it's footprint suggests. The car I was going to get before looking at the Prius was a Mini Cooper. Glad I got the Prius though I still have the "motoring" philosophy.

Love my 2003 Prius, named: "Petipa"

Peggy B. Sherrill, 07/22/2003

Having wanted an electic/clean air auto for many years, I am extremely pleased to have found a car that is ALMOST totally free of gas emitions, freeing up some of the world's polution.

51050