Used 2003 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Alero for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

seems reliable to me

geri7, 01/10/2012

I haven't seemed to have any serious problems with my '03 Alero, which is now at 201,700 miles. Just some part that needed to be replaced, which included my fuel pump, but that was my fault, because I hated so much to stop and get gas, and my gas will always be on empty. And a harmonic balancer and something that has to do with the drivebelt. But that was just very recent. So, I have to say, my car has served me 'very well'. But, 3 of my windows don't work anymore. But I can live with that. Those aren't the parts that matter anyway. Very satisfied with my car. Oh, love the stereo.

Absolute Base Model Review

Johnny, 10/18/2015
GX 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

2.2L EcoTec engine is decently powered for being in a bigger sedan. The instrument panels are very basic like just the bare essentials. Radio is different from the other models. its actually different from the one shown in the owners manual. The window clips that hold the window on a non-power window do become very fragile in advanced age. Only 2 major issues that have happened was transmission lines busting and brake lines busted all in spots which were difficult to repair by myself. There is one nagging issue but is very common and that is the security lock out upon start. The other slight issue is simply the road, between noise and comfort of ride. As the driver i have never had an issue with comfort in the front seat. My passengers tell me the front passenger seat is fine but the back feels like you are dragging the road. I would say this could be suspension. However, i replaced the whole nine yards of it, making it brand new parts. One major recommendation with an Alero (and any car for that matter), is to always do the regular maintenance because as it wears out, the way the car runs and rides becomes rough in this car. I know this due to the Condition of it when I purchased the vehicle in 2012.

Up In The Air

mlzebe, 06/08/2008

I bought my Alero last year with 72,000 miles on it. I was loving it I thought it was a all around good car. Well it was until I started having this problem with the security system. Sometimes when I turn the car off, and go to start it again nothing happens except for the dash light coming on. I priced to fix and was told about $300 to 400 to fix. Besides that and the air drafts it's a nice car.

8 years with a used Alero.

mlrobards, 11/13/2013

I purchased this car when it was 5 years old, that was 8 years ago. I have had only one major issue with it. The drivers side window regulator has gone out and cost too much to replace. Never had issue one with the motor, struts, electronics (other than the regulator) If you treat this car right it will not let you down. Keep up with all regular maintenance and it will last years. Handles really well and an easy ride for long trips. Before you buy any new car make sure it was taken good care of. If it wasn't, walk away.

Not to happy

jasonvqmzm2, 06/10/2014

Bought the car this year, 2014. Had 144k miles on the car at purchase. Fuel pump went out at 146k and found it had been replaced before. Now, the anti-theft system is kicking in when going down the hwy and killing the engine. Ignition switch is jamming up and have to wiggle key to turn and start the car. Being told now that the ignition lock cylinder can fail causing anti-theft system fault and no start conditions. Have towed car home twice in last month because of this problem. GM won't issue a recall on this because they claim it isn't a safety issue. What is safe about your engine cutting off, going 70 mph on the interstate?

I definitely got my money's worth

kjr75, 02/11/2013

I bought a new 2003 Alero back in June 2003. I definitely got my money's worth as I just passed the 183,000 mile mark. Sad to say the time has now come to get a new car as there are issues with the cylinder heads under the gasket not responding and long story short Pep boys wants to charge $3,000 to replace. The car itself is probably worth 1k with as many miles on it. After 9.5yrs and 183,000 miles it definitely has done it's job. Looking for either a new Sonata Turbo or used 2012 Buick Lacrosse. I don't think I can go wrong either way as I take these cars to the grave so I really dont care much about resale value.

Sporty, sporty, sporty

Monet, 12/18/2002

I love this car. It knocks the Honda Civic, which was my last car, right out of the running. The spacious interior, the cocpit feeling drivers quarters, and convenient placement of the ac/cd/radio is great.

I love it!

MFB, 06/01/2003

Between the GM Mastercard rebate and the dealer discounts, I could have bought two-three Alero's for one import. This GLS with the handling package, radio upgrade, minus the tail fin is a clean looking flawless fun to drive car. I cruises the turnpike at 80 with power to spare and plenty of comfort. With the 5 year GM warranty it will be hard to find an excuse to trade it early. This is the best car I have ever owned!

Nice cheap car

Justin, 09/03/2007

This car's nice. 3.4L v6 it has plenty of power. Good gas mileage 22 city 30 highway. I wish it had ABS or ETS but oh well. Good trunk space. Smooth drive. Poor quality though considering almost every 60degree v6 has a failing lower intake manifold gasket. I replaced mine once I got it around 77000 miles.

Good All Around Car Except For Seats

Alf33, 06/03/2003

Everything about this car is good except for the bucket seats which are uncomfortable and way too hard. Unfortunatelly I didn't discover this until after it was too late to return it. The performance is good but accelerating when at a crusing speed of about 50 is sluggish if only moderate pedal pressure is used. It gets moving real good when it drops down a gear when you get into it more. The car has tons of great features, is nice to drive, and is more stylish than a lot of cars out there now. I got 30mpg on the highway during a recent trip and that was doing 70-75mph a lot of the time.

Buy it and you'll regret it deeply

loupie1, 06/23/2003

I bought the 2002 GL2 4dr V6. While it handled quite well and had decent ride, it was typical GM junk. I can't stress enough the poor reliability of the car, but more importantly, the blatant disregard GM has for its customers. They DO NOT stand behind their questionable products. For example, brake rotors went at 19k miles while brake pads were not half worn. GM refused to pay. Ditto for intake manifold. I traded the PoS in, taking a heavy loss while doing so because it has the worst depreciation record of ALL compact sedans. I'm in a Mazda 6 now and love it. GM will not get another penny from me.

Not bad, for a First Car.

Kimberly, 11/03/2016
GX 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My Alero was my first car. I drove it for over a year before it finally went out on me. While I drove it, it was fine. The wheel baring was bad, made a horrible sound when I made left turns. Acceleration was okay, and shifting gears was fine. My back windows would fall down over time (meaning within a couple minutes of driving) and I had to hold them up with door stops. My driver window didn't roll up or down, and my passenger window worked when it felt like it. Overall it wasn't bad for my first car, but it definitely had it's problems. But once it was done, it was done. My timing chain went out and it was too expensive to fix, so I ended up scraping it. Got $25 for it.

Great Great buy!!!

Ms C, 11/15/2016
GL2 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My car has 283000 miles and still going!! The horn doesnt work!! Only had to get general maintenance! ! Got to get another car because of the rust underneath!! Purchase the car in 2006 with 75000 miles

Straight Up Lemon

reddstunta, 10/31/2003

This car is junk and was made too fast. The only good thing is that I have not had any motor problems. The inside is garbage, my top light just fell down, my driver side window borke twice, sometimes it does not crank, the rubber around the windshield is continuing coming up. The worse of all the dash board is coming up and look all wrinkle. This car is a lemon and practically worthless. It had a nice body style and outer appeal but it toatal garbage. I will never buy another. I hate this car, there is a new problem with it constantly.

So So, Nothing Special

Dustin, 10/04/2006

First off the brake design of this car is horrible. I've already had to put in new brake pads and have the rotors turned twice. The car has less than 50,000 miles on it. The gas mileage varies from 22 to 30 depending on oil changes, driving conditions...etc. Its seats aren't really that comfy and the interior looks cheap. You definitely pay for what you get. I won't ever by another GM, next time it's a Honda or Toyota.

Worst Car Ever Owned; A Real Lemon

joners, 09/28/2011

Paid 8,000 for car and put 3,000 into engine, mostly seals, major problem in coolent system, cracked engine block, the list goes on and on.... this was the worst engine GM ever built, I don't reccommend it. Replaced fuel pump, then it was needing repairs twice a year. Joined a class action lawsuit and GM got out of it by filing bankruptcy. If your buying an Alero plan on spending alot for repairs, due to cheap parts and a poorly running engine.

nice car

car guy, 07/25/2002

steering is totally numb. No feedback. The ride quality is good but needs better geometry when cornering. The car is great for traveling. Killer A/C

I love my car!

Robb2651, 04/04/2018
GX 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I would happily return to Metro Cars and Credit for another vehicle.

Black Cristine reliable

Mariah Beltran, 08/10/2018
GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Major electric problem or fuse issue dash lights and rear tail wont come back on after replace fuses and relays disconnect battery for 10 mins nothing changes.

A Lemon!

Meeme, 01/19/2009

I have had this car for ove a year now and I have put so much money into it that if I saved it all I could have paid this car off.. The pass lock locked my car first. 3 mechanics couldn't figure out what was wrong. All together $1000 fixed the problem. My Ford that I paid $1000 didn't give me as many problems as this! Brakes, bearings, spring coil, A/C, drum and the pass lock. All together well over $5000 put into it already! It makes me sick to my stomach. I will never again get an Oldsmobile! No wonder they shut down their production. The sound system is great but I would rather have a reliable car instead.

Loving It!

Loving It!, 06/19/2008

I love this car. What I really wanted was a grand am but i couldn't get one due to my credit so i got the closest one to it. I absolutely love this car! It has about 111K on it, it has a few squeals in the front i think its just because I hit a pothole too hard and the ignition sticks a bit but nothing serious so far. I love that it has that sporty feel to it and it beats the hell out of my Mercury Tracer I had.

Great Car, so far.

Chris, 07/25/2008

I purchased my car from a private dealer that buys wrecked vehicles at auctions and repairs them. The fact that it had a salvage title made me a little weary but I couldn't complain for $4500 and only 32k miles. The only problem I've had so far is the wheel bearings at around 45k miles, could be from wreck. Although the motor is strong for a 4 banger it could use a little more power from the get go. A little tip for the gas mileage, buy a k&n air filter and use Lucas fuel injector cleaner every oil change, I was getting about 28 mpg average and now 33 mpg average. I have had a problem with hydroplaning in heavy rain even with brand new tires maybe because the car sits so low to the ground

Tough to trade in

Greg, 09/05/2008

I bought my Alero new and have had no problems with it at all. Anything that did go wrong was covered under warranty. Car has been so reliable that now 6 years into it, I'm having a hard time letting it go to trade in. I think I'm going to keep it. Handles great (I loaded the options when I ordered it). Only complaint is the V6 is a gas hog but makes up for it in the handling and power dept. Too bad Olds closed down.

Problems with Security System

voiceinharmony, 09/10/2008

I bought my car used with 25K on it. It has great power when you drive it but does not give very good gas mileage, about 28 mpg. After it hit 60K I started having problems with the Security System. Basically, my car could start. I was able to find out in the Manual that it has a Pass Lock Safety Lock. So in order to start the car you have to leave it on for 10 minutes on the ON ignition key. So far I've heard it may take $300 to fix the problem. I also have a click, click sound on my signals that won't go away.

Down with the quickness

ken, 10/01/2008

I bought my alero in march of 05, it had 73,000 miles now in Oct of 08 117456 no problems replaced front brakes a year ago tops, and one tune- up. V6, power everything 0-60 5.4sec pretty impressive. rides a little rough I thought mine did great in the snow. Unplowed country roads after 8 inches of snow never got it stuck. it is a glorified grand am i would definitely own another one

Not your old Olds

Mike, 11/01/2008

I bought this car used with 20k miles from a decent dealer. Have owned Olds before and was disappointed in the quality. At 80k miles, gets decent gas mileage both in town and on the road, 20/30. It's a small car and rides like it. Had the security key module replaced three time and then finally the on board computer, which is quite costly when out of warranty. Replaced the front strut assemblies as they were worn out by 40k miles. I would look for a foreign make instead of this.

2003 Olds Alero

alero_blues, 11/10/2008

I bought this Alero in 2004, for 12K being a year old with only 23K on it, seemed like a good deal. Still paying it off today, have had the front rotor replaced, brakes, tires, battery, fuel pump and windshield replaced. The only problem I keep on having is a small water leak into the fuse box from somewhere around the windshield area, had it replaced, was good for a year, then it started leaking after a 3 day rain. By this point I am tired of dealing with the cost of trying to find the problem and just want a car that doesn't leak. I love my Alero, but i need something that is a little less water loving. Great design, like the seat and stereo set up, even though car is compact and comfy.

My Oldmobile Alero

Kedibee, 11/12/2008

I bought this car in 2006 with 63,000 miles on it. I have driven it for exactly two years now and have changed both bearings in front two times. Right now, it looks like I need to change them again. I will be driving it for straight 1700 miles, of course with sleeping breaks as long as 6 hours. I will know after this trip if this car is truly a good one.

Basic GM Econo-box

Jeff, 11/24/2008

I purchased this car in 2005 with about 20,000 miles on it. It was an ex-rental from California. I now have have about 63,250 miles on it and it has/had some problems. The passlock had to be replaced ($460), the suspension starts squeaking annually and I have to take it to the dealer to get it lubricated, and the CD player only takes CDs when it wants to. The 3.4L V6 is nothing to write home about either at 170HP. Based from what I've read, I've been lucky with this car. My dashboard hasn't started peeling and I haven't had to replace any pumps or bearings. Although functional, the interior seems cheesy. Also, this car can't handle in the snow. The rear end gives out even with good tires.

Car has been great so far

BJ, 11/25/2008

I have had the ignition problem but seems to have gone away after taking all keys off except house key and ignition. I have 120k on it and have only replaced front hubs at 86k and fuel pump at 96k. Everything else works great and I love the rds stereo system. I use synthetic oil and have had the car since it had 56k on the odom. I get 26 in town and 34 on the highway with the 2.2 4cly as long as I drive it easy.

Not a bad second car

D. Ahart, 03/21/2009

Bought this car with about 21,000 on the odometer. Now has 53,000 mi. and so far it's still running well. The front tires seemed to wear down evenly, but quickly. Make sure you do tire rotations regularly. Love the way the Alero handles on dry road...even wet not too bad, but less than stellar in the snow.

2003 Alero

GrammaB, 03/22/2009

I bought this Alero from a dealership as a used vehicle with 11,000 miles on it. The fuel pump died at 58,000 miles, and the brakes had to be replaced once. All other expenses were my fault. This has been a great car. Gas mph averages about 24-26 mph, a bit more on highway. It has about 66,000 miles on it now. Sure am sorry GM discontinued Oldsmobiles! I am trading for a Chevy Malibu, hope I am not disappointed.

Awesum lil ride

Steven, 04/04/2009

I bought mine in 05 w/ 9,000 miles. now has 120,000. has NEVER let me down. Only minor maintenance costs so far except for the intake gasket, which the dealer covered. Ive customized mine with a new wing, body kit, tinted glass and fancy wheels, and it turns heads everywhere I take it. Both my sons are jealous and want me to hand over the title. (not gonna happen!!!)

Do not buy this car

dsh1127, 01/18/2008

I bought this car new in April 2003. It was a nice car until about 50,000 miles. At that point, my opinion on this car changed greatly! It started having one problem after another, and had so many squeaks, rattles and air leakage that you would think it was a 20 year old car. This car was in the shop so often that everyone knew me on a first name basis! The final problem was a major computer meltdown at 68,000 miles. I left it at the shop (unrepaired), got what I could for trade, and bought a used Nissan Maxima! Do not waste your money and time on an Alero!

Okay Car

Marissa, 06/16/2009

I purchased this car about 8 months ago and have put lots of mileage on it. I have replaced 2 front rotors and brakes and drivers side window regulators. The interior is made real cheap and you can tell, and stereo keys fell off within weeks of having the car, but it has been pretty much reliable. I would not buy another one, but its been okay while it lasted.

So far so good

sharon, 08/05/2009

My alero 2003 has been so far pretty good. Going on a 2,000 mile trip within the next couple of days. Only problem I have is front driver side tire seems to have problems - rotate every 2,500 miles and gas mileage not the greatest. Used to buy Fords but they have the worst paint jobs in my opinion. Rust out. Chev's never have rusted; my dad always bought Oldsmobile so thought I would take his advise.

Problems

Elly, 10/16/2009

I had to replace the intake. It was covered under warranty. Then my rear defroster broke. It would cost me $100 because it was not covered under warranty. Now five years later my valves need to be replaced in the engine. What a joke. No warning. It started cutting out one day. Also last year 2008, I had to replace the wheel barrings in it.

Not a big fan, overall

NeglectedMind, 09/08/2010

I have had so many problems with this vehicle, that it was really not worth the money I paid. I have replaced the brakes more often than I should have to, and have had numerous problems with the security system, that no one seems to be able to fix. I will take it into the shop, and they will temporarily fix the problem, and it will stop again. I have changed the spark plus, the ignition system, brakes, bearings, command start, and the clutch. It drives nicely when it is working, but not worth the money that I have had to put into it. All in all, I plan on buying a new car and ditching this lemon of an Olds. Do not buy!

Alero is a great car

johnpelder, 07/26/2002

Every aspect of this car has been outstanding. Fit and finish are first rate. The GX sport package is a great value, and the 5-speed getrag tranny is very tight and crisp. I'm not usually a fan of 4 cylinder engines, but the 2.2 ecotec is super smooth, yet still torquey.

Good as a Honda for thousands less

holly, 08/08/2002

I purchased my Alero after three years of debating between it and a Honda Accord. Though I have to admit the Honda seems more refined, it wasn't $5000 more refined than the Alero. I enjoy driving this car because of the big 16 inch wheels, the torquey V6, and the excellent 8 speaker sound system. Once I heard about the free 5 year warranty, it just didn't seem worth pursuing the Accord anymore. The only thing I would like changed about the Alero is the transmission's aggressiveness. At highway speeds, a downshift requires a substantial stab of the gas pedal. Overall, I love this car and plan to keep it for 200k miles.

DON'T GIVE IT UP, OLDS!

BIG D, 08/08/2002

THE ALERO IS THE WICKED TWIN SISTER OF PONTIAC'S GRAND AM. ALERO HAS ALL THE PERFORMANCE FEATURES OF THE GRAND AM, AND LOADED WITH LUXURIOUS IMENITIES.

THICK STEERING WHEEL; FAT RIDE!

JOE SPINELL'S BRO, 08/08/2002

BUCKLE UP, AND HANKER DOWN. THIS 4 DOOR, ROAD ROCKET IS A LOADFULL OF FUN.

Glad I bought the Extended Warranty

Bill, 02/07/2008

I bought this car with 12K miles on it. Came off of a fleet lease. No problems the first year. In the 2nd year had to replace right front wheel bearing, 6 months later the left front wheel bearing 35k miles on it. At 55K had to replace the fuel pump and some additional parts associated with the fuel system. At 74k had to repair and replace many parts of the air conditioning system. Good thing I had the extended warranty total repairs come to $4800. This car is a glorified Grand Am. Will not consider another GM vehicle after this car experience. Hello Honda/Toyota.

Buy Toyota

Donewithit, 11/11/2002

3 years owing this car, thank God it had a warranty. Power window motor went out, strut became unattached, paint peeling, hazard button fell through the dash, doors required realignment, noisy, and cruise control stopped working. If you enjoy visiting the dealer then this car is for you. My car has two days left on the warranty and I'm getting rid of it now.

My First Car

survboiurbvs, 11/26/2002

This was my first car. I have always drove my parents cars which are both German and cost a lot more than my Alero. The Alero is not a sports car, but I like it a lot. The steering is great and its fun to drive around town and on short road trips. Mine is one and a half years old and has 45,000 miles and it works great.

alero review

Aida Reyes, 12/03/2002

This car is quite strong. I was in an accident with a Chevy Tahoe that broadsided my alero on the passenger side and the Tahoe went away hurting. My alero was messed up inside but I was able to walk away a little banged up, but alive. Good car.

Good

Friendly Helper, 01/28/2003

I got this car as my second car. Before I was driving a 1994 Olds LSS. Even though this is a lower endmodel than the LSS was at the time it was made I tend to like this car more because it comes with alot of features such as cd which my old car did not have. The stereo was not as good as the lss unofrtunately, but what can you expect from a cheaper car I guess.

My Alero Experience

lisa, 06/11/2003

This car is stylish and fun to drive - when it works. My brakes have been replaced 5 times, last time they put a special GM "kit" on so that it won't happen again. I have replaced the drive belt twice, the power steering pump twice, my radio antenna and air conditioning recently stopped working and I'm tired of throwing money into it. I had one minor bumper scrape, it was expensive to fix, but it held up very well in the accident. I'd say it was a lemon, but I am not the only person with these problems.

Excellence with the Alero

nosralj, 02/26/2003

After leasing an Alero in '99, I bought another 4 door GX in 2002, but this one was a manual. This car was a steal and with the rebates I was able to get it for $17k. The car drives beautifully and gives off a solid feel. I had minimum problems only having problems with the backseat door paneling pealing due to the extreme Arizona heat. If I'm ever in an accident, I have the confidence that the other car won't punch a hole in the Alero like paper machete. With it's sporty exterior and manual transmission to boot, provides me the pleasure of driving a sport car at a reasonable price. Great car.

Not bad at all

Russ Hoss, 08/04/2003

Other than the driver seat feeling like its broken, I LOVE the car. I put about 400 miles a week on my car and it's really fun to drive. Actually, my wife has taken it from me and she is a diehard Honda fan.

51050