Used 2018 Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class AMG® GLA 45 4MATIC®
Pros & Cons
- One of the most entertaining crossovers in the class
- Returns respectable mileage considering its performance
- High clearance and optional all-wheel drive lend some all-weather capability
- Long list of available tech and safety features on the GLA 45
- Firm ride quality can grow tiresome on rough roads
- Automatic transmission operates awkwardly in stop-and-go situations
- Not much legroom, headroom or cargo room
- Road and wind noise is abundant
List Price Estimate
$23,212 - $26,883
Used GLA-Class for SaleSee all for sale
Which GLA-Class does Edmunds recommend?
The base-level GLA250 comes with a generous features list, but we'd still want to add the Premium package for its satellite radio, keyless entry, heated seats and blind-spot monitoring, and the Multimedia package for its voice-controlled navigation and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto smartphone integration. For frequent highway commuting, we might also opt for the Driver Assistance package, which bundles adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist.
Edmunds' Expert Review
The GLA250 uniquely blends straight-line performance and sharp handling with an elevated ground clearance for rutted roads or the occasional field you might drive through. It's like a powerful Subaru XV Crosstrek. Unfortunately, the throttle and transmission don't respond as quickly as we'd like.
The GLA's suspension, wheels and tires send far more impact harshness into the cabin during around-town driving than we've come to expect from luxury cars. The poor ride quality is a big reason why the GLA fails to earn a higher rating.
Though we appreciate Mercedes' intuitive COMAND electronics interface, the GLA's interior is otherwise compromised functionally. Space and visibility are the same as in a compact hatchback, but you're paying a price that's closer to that of a luxury compact SUV.
It might look like an active lifestyle car or play one on TV, but you can't pack a lot of activity into the GLA. Tidy cargo space can accommodate a couple pieces of luggage or outdoor gear, and with all-wheel drive you could wheel to remote camping. Pack wisely.
Decent bit of tech even at the base level, including an 8-inch display, Bluetooth, a six-speaker sound system and a five-year trial of Mbrace Connect telematics services (which includes an optional Wi-Fi hotspot). Satellite radio, navigation and a 12-speaker Harman Kardon sound system are options.
|Overall||7.1 / 10|
Most helpful consumer reviews
AMG GLA 45 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)
This is what you do when flooring the go pedal on a 2018 Mercedes Benz AMG 45 not to mention holding on to your hat. this is the fastest 4 cylinder on the road. It is great to drive and very responsive to the pedal. No waiting for turbo build up. on the freeway to San Diego I opened it up. When I reached 100mph this car still had more to go and at that speed you feel connected to the road. The stock seats are nothing to write home about. My driver seat although adjustable is just not that comfortable especially on long trips. The car is a looker especially with the air wing. I have already made up my mind that when it comes time for a new car it will be a MERCEDES BENZ.
Features & Specs
Our experts like the GLA-Class models:
- Active Brake Assist
- Uses radar to detect vehicles and objects ahead and applies autonomous braking if necessary.
- Distance Pilot Distronic
- Maintains a set distance from the car ahead of you when the cruise control is set on the highway.
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Monitors road markings and helps detect unintended lane drifting. Alerts driver by vibrating the steering wheel.