Used 2005 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Canyon for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Long term review

Andy L., 01/09/2010

I bought this truck new in Oct 2004. My review from Jan 06 remains true. This truck has been outstanding. The fit and finish on the interior is fine, the exterior has held up perfectly. It is very well powered, and a pleasure to drive. Does great in Michigan winters. Even better with new Dick Cepek FC-II tires. I've hauled many loads of wood, pulled a small boat, traveled with family of five and never been let down. The only two issues have been the theft deterance went out (minor), and the drivers window regulater died ($300) I have 86k miles and plan to put on many more.

Great Truck

Matt, 05/05/2010

Great truck for doing things you need to do, without the gas of a full size. Great family car to take to the beach, worth every bit of money.

Engine /electrical problems

marc, 10/23/2008

After purchase it was noted to have bad water leakage on the passager side under the dash that shorted out the OnStar system and caused the computer to error. Problem was found to be a bad lead seam over the windshield. Computer error causes one of the cylinders to runs rich, crack in exhaust manifold, now getting only 11 mpg. Remote failure also, attempted to open the door with key and found that the tumblers in the door and back gate had been missed keyed. Lots of problems with remote entry system and electrical connectors under vehicle rusting loss of plate lights and other exterior lights. Vehicle only 18 month old and GM providing little help.

Still going strong

sullylang, 08/04/2012

Coming up on 8 years owning this truck. It still runs great, drives great, very reliable, and good efficiency (18mpg city / 22 mpg hwy). Gas mileage was better with regular hwy tires. Dick Cepek FC-II tires took about 1 mpg off the fuel economy. Just did 120k service on vehicle. I wrecked my brakes, but they would have needed rotors and drums at 120k either way. Only issue that's odd is the rough, or low idle from a dirty throttle body. Very simple to clean, and now runs perfect again. Very satisfied with this truck. The experts have their blinders on when giving it poor performance ratings. Power is great and it tows very well.

Great Little Pickup!

05CanyonOwner, 11/19/2018
4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

I bought this Canyon new in 04/2005 and it’s still going strong in 11/2018. There are now so few smaller/mini pickups out there that some people confuse my cherry 2005 Canyon as a 2019 model, and want to know where they can get one for themselves. Consumer Reports trashed this vehicle back in the mid-2000’s in so many ways… I know after 14 years of owning one, I am so glad I got this pickup. My 2005 Canyon has never let me down and it gets its recommended servicing per owners manual when due. It has always gotten about 20 MPG combined mileage since new. It’s nothing fancy or classy in any way – it is just reliable, bullet-proof small pickup transportation. If you can find one for sale that has been cared for, you’ll be most rewarded with loyal transportation.

Sweet 5 Cylinder-GMC Pickup Truck

angelballs, 02/09/2014
4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE 4WD SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Bought my truck new in October 2004, This sweet 5 cylinder pickup has served me well on long 1100 mile runs from Florida to Maryland and back as well as 5 and 6 mile trips to buy heavy materials such as sod and mulch, as well as lumber from big box stores. The paint quality is exceptional and day after day in Florida sunshine it is still beautiful after all these years. A dream to drive, it still stirs my soul when I see it sitting in solemn eloquence. My Canyon will be Thirteen years old this October, I have 66,000 miles on her and the Silver Birch paint is still beautiful, (I wax once per year). I drive it 4 or 5 times a week, First truck I ever had a seven year original battery in. Just replaced the second battery with a 5 year one. Like I said when I saw her on the dealers lot, "That sure is a pretty truck", she still looks like a million bucks to me and I drive her 4 to 5 times a week. Just paid $1700 dollars to replace hoses, plugs, and front end work. Now she is "good as new" to me. I can send you a photo if needed.

Stone

Pete Stone, 08/07/2008

I have a 2005 Canyon with off road package and 3.5/5 cyl. eng. I have 46,000 mi on it and it has been a great truck. It rides smooth and has good power. I have a K&N air filter on it, a bed cover and I run full synthectic oil in it. I get 24-26 mpg if I keep it at 70 MPH. I drove it at 65 MPH and got 27.6 which is great. I think for the money it is the best mid size truck out there and I've driven them all. With the V8 option in 2009 no other mid-size truck will be able to touch it. I reccomend the Canyon especially with the Off Road package.

Love It

Zach, 09/08/2009

This truck can do a quarter of a miles in 13.267(average) I love it it burns out fast and the the I5 has 246 hp and its perfect i would love to get the 5.3 v8 but i got it for a great price.

great truck

w biello, 01/16/2010

truck has preformed very well - handles great- 21 to 25 mpg.no problems- dealer mastria buick gmc best dealer i have ever dealt with - service dept great-

Perfect small truck

Andy, 01/06/2006

I have taken this truck across the US twice going from Florida, to Maine, back to Florida, and then to Michigan. I've gotten as much as 24 MPG at 75 MPH with 5 people, and luggage. I hauled a 3000lb trailer from Florida to Michigan with no problems, and got 17 MPG while doing it. No problems on climbing steep hills in Tennesee, or with braking. I love this truck. It is perfectly powered for a small truck. It has also performed excellant during the Michigan winter with it's traction control, even in my steep driveway with snow.

All-new and fun to drive

KangarouxKid, 06/30/2004

This new GMC Canyon fits the need for a good-sized truck with excellent fuel economy. In light of what I believe to be permanently high fuel prices, economy of operation is important. The truck is comfortable and quiet.

Great truck

Goden, 06/22/2006

I've used this truck for hauling and as a daily driver. Great little truck, very smooth 5 speed, comfortable for a bench seat.

Pleasantly Surprised!

cb500rider, 10/09/2005

I've never trusted GM vehicles. I grew up in MIchigan and heard all of the horror stories about the poor quality for my many relations who work or have worked in the GM plants. My last GM car was a 1980 Chevy Monza. I bought the Canyon because of the employee pricing and the five cylinder engine's fuel economy. I have the Z71 SLE Ext cab with bucket seats. The seats are very comfortabe. The ride is high and smooth. The 2WD offroad suspension is great. I drove it down five miles of washboard dirt road at 45mph and couldn't believe the smooth ride. No problems so far, accept the center console creeks when i rest my arm on it. This is probably due to it's thin plastic.

Look before you buy

chevylover1965, 12/14/2005

Overall the truck offers inferior quality, poor towing capability, and poor service from General Motors. The turning radius is horrible, as is the braking system. It is underpowered to the point that the transmission must shift often to maintain speed. The most significant problem is a weak air conditioning system. The air fluctuates between cold and warm. GM is aware of the problem, but does not have a fix.

Love it so far

Jason, 12/22/2007

I have owned my Canyon for a month now and this being my first truck I love it! It has plenty of power and the look is great, only thing I have any sort of problem with is the rear seat is a little shallow but I don't sit there so no biggie. I would recommend this truck to anyone who wants a small truck that has good gas mileage and lots of HP.

Best Truck I have ever owned!!

Devastator_454, 04/19/2009

I had no intention of trying to improve this vehicle when I first bought it. But after driving it for the first 2mths I was curious about what else I could do to improve its performance and make it more fun to drive. Just adding a K&N intake to it, the results were undeniable. Since then I have added a Magnaflow exhaust system, changed the 3.42 to 4.10 and added belltech anti-sway bars to name a few. This truck is now Super Awesome. It is the best 4cyl truck out there. Not even import cars with modifications can beat it. One day I plan to drop a larger engine in it. Then I will really be kicken!!

Great truck !

mr bill, 11/24/2009

I bought my 2005 used in 2009 after the lease ran out. It is a great tight well handly truck and I have had no problems with it. It gets a consistant 26 mpg with 3.5 and auto transmission. As I said I bought it used, but it still is in great shape and I am very pleased and would recomend it to anyone wanting this size truck.

Nice truck so far

Ron, 02/02/2005

I really enjoy the ride of this truck. The seats are comfortable. I have used the truck to pull people out of ditches and it does it easily. I have the Z71 extended cab with a 5 cyl automatic 4X4. My truck has the side steps and at first I thought they were useless. When someone slammed their door into the side steps and not my door, I really liked them. I have about 11,000 miles so far with the only problem is getting out of 4 low.

Solid Truck

Bradh, 10/11/2004

My first pickup. 3.5/5cyl/4WD/tow pkg /ext.cab. Was considering larger 8Cyl., but crappy mileage eliminated all (I've got a fairly long commute). Compared to other mid size pickups, power rating was much better. Mileage so far, about 18-20, mixed driving. Needed mainly for lighter hauling (lumber, mowers, etc.) Haven't tried towing yet, but will be pulling 2500lb trailer occasionally. Handling is pretty crisp for a truck. Good std. stereo w/CD, decent interior & sharp exterior. Truck is a good fit for those of us who don't need massive power or towing capacity, but still need a truck for various reasons. No problems apparent (only at 2000 miles) So far I'm pretty satisfied.

Cool Canyon

John Jenkins, 10/17/2016
4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Base Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

Very disappointed

loveledc, 04/08/2005

Interior quality is sad, no padding, and very little comfort. 4 cylinder engine is quite an improvement over the old S-10. The engine is quite noisy at low speeds, and gas mileage is sad for a 4 cylinder. It certainly does not live up to the 27 mpg promised. The truck is certainly over priced for value.

Engine trouble in GMC Cannon

tccagle, 04/11/2006

I bought a new 2005 GMC Cannon to use as a work truck. I bought a very basic model without any extras. I have been so disappointed. Within the last year I have had the truck in the shop over 10 times. They have never found out the problem wiht the engine. I have been through several meeting and I am happy to say that GMC is repurchasing my truck. I have missed so many days from work taking care if this matter, but it is finally over.

GMC canyon disapointment

pman, 05/23/2005

I have a vibration at 48-54 mph, which is considered normal by GMC. Fuel mileage with the 4 cylinder averages 15-19 mpg at best. No adjustmets for the seat backs, no exterior key lock for passenger door. not much help from GMC. It's probably the last GMC vehicle I will buy.

Love My Canyon!

woofie, 11/27/2006

What a great truck to run around with and take out hunting! It's a little workhorse and it looks good no matter what we do with it. Consumer Reports doesn't rate this truck well at all but they dont know anything but Toyota,Honda, Nissan etc. Not every truck is perfect, but this truck suits us just fine!

Overall a good truck but has some issues

John, 03/20/2008

This vehicle is a great medium sized truck but there are the usual GM fit and finish issues. The turning radius is ridiculous and cause many parking lot problems. The radio is probably the worst piece of junk I have found in any vehicle.The radio is an easy fix with aftermarket units. The turning radius is not curable. Experienced a few rattles, could be tighter.

Stay away from this vehicle

Geoffrey Couch, 02/23/2017
2dr Regular Cab Z85 SLE 4WD SB (2.8L 4cyl 5M)

Stay away from this vehicle-nothing but trouble since the day I got it for gas mileage electrical travel till finally after only putting 24,000 miles on a used vehicle had a loss of compression and had to scrap the entire vehicle because it would not pass emissions. Had to get rid of it before I even had paid for if it came down to buying another one or riding the bus give me a bus pass stay away stay away cannot speak for all GMC’s Caio this was the only one I ever owned and will never own another one as long as I live

Good All-Around Truck

Dan, 07/22/2008

I traded a 2002 Blazer for my '05 Canyon. The Canyon has great mileage for a 4x4 truck; interstate travel is about 24mpg, 19mpg around town. My 3.5L I-5 does great for fuel but compromises in towing. Pennsylvania winters are no problem, it does great in a lake effect snow storm! At 76,000 I haven't had any major work outside of normal wear and tear. I drive the truck everyday and it fits my lifestyle great, including many outdoor activities. I try to not use it like a work truck. I still get compliments at the gas pump! Speaking for the crew cab, I would highly recommend this truck

Frustrated with Canyon

Kristen, 10/15/2008

Wow! What frustration with this truck. I love the looks of it and wanted it to be the best. However, it's been to the shop at least 10 times. At 25,000 the engine and head went bad so they put a new one in. Luckily it was under warranty. Now, at 65,000 miles the head is bad again! Within 25,000 miles, the brakes and tires needed replaced. Like others I've noticed the air conditioning system is not good and doesn't cool very well. In addition, my CD player is broke. I've done every suggested GM service at the mileage marks to keep it in top shape but it didn't work. I'm in the process of looking for a new truck and contacting GM. Very dissappointing!

Nice Truck

Cris, 03/04/2009

I bought this truck, my first "new" vehicle, for my 50th birthday and BA degree graduation present. It's been great. I did have a squeak in the radio but there was a kit that the dealer put on for me (rubber molding around the unit) that got rid of it. Great running, only in the shop for a recall once. I do get the oil changed as recommended, which helps on vehicle longevity. I did notice molding around rear tires now coming loose so that's a problem. Otherwise impressed and a nice ride (my carpooler said the heated leather seats help his back more than his chiropractor!)

Great little truck!

bill, 05/05/2009

I bought my GMC Canyon used with 20k on it in early 2009. It is a well built and quality truck in my opinion. It has the 3.5 and automatic trans. and gets an average of 25-26 mpg. Very pleased with the truck and features and would recommend it to anyone who wants a smaller economical truck. I looked at Ford and the imports, and this GM truck is as good and maybe better and glad I bought it.

Great little truck

Bill R, 05/26/2009

I bought this truck used with only 20,00 on it. It was taken care of and the truck is a great little truck. With the 3.5 and auto trans I get a consistent 26 mpg. I have no complaints as it is a tight, well built truck. For a compact/mid size truck, it's great! It is also American built! I looked at other brands, and the GMC is as good as any other truck.

Great little truck

Bill in NYS, 09/30/2009

I bought this truck used; but it is a well built truck and has not had any problems. I am ipressed with the overall truck for the money. I would recomend it to anyone looking for a mid sized truck. With 3.5 engine and automatic it gets a consistant 26.5 mpg. No complants!

exellent truck

bill biello, 10/18/2009

exellent truck-58,000 miles. driven right i can pull 23-24 mpg.no problems so far

I love this truck

chris , 04/13/2005

I have only had this truck for about a month now but it has already seen snow and hauled some mulch and dirt. It handles great and the drive is smooth. It is very roomy and comfortable. I wanted the interior room to take adults with me. Seats 5 easily. I really enjoy driving it.

Love my Canyon

chris, 05/13/2005

I have had this truck for two months now and I love it. The ride is smooth and comfortable. I have had nothing but compliments from everybody that's seen it. The back seat is very roomy considering it's a truck.

Beter new than old

Jammer, 07/21/2005

I love this truck. I have had an S10 crew cab for 3 years and traded it in as soon as I drove this one. The power is more than enough for a smaller pickup. The truck is not made for large towing but it does handle my 2 ATV's on a trailer just fine. Gas mileage is much superior to my old S10, about a 20% increase, and it isn't even broken in yet. The interior is typical GMC, but I like it simple. Stereo, and interior controls are easy to use and understand. The rear doors give good access to the extended cab which has almost as much room as my old crew cab did! The handling is superb, crisp and the acceleration is miles above my old one. If you like your S10, do yourself a favor and buy a new Canyon.

Rides great, looks great

Terry, 08/12/2005

I've had a number of people ask me about this truck. They love the front end look. I've added a cap (Century), sunroof (CRL) and upgraded the sound system (Alpine XM) and made this into a great ride for my wife and I on some long trips. Lots of open cab room, leather and heated seat... the only way to go in New England.

Awesome Truck

IIZFISHIN, 09/23/2005

Bought this truck with 14,000 miles on it in July and have 18,000 on it right now. It’s a super truck and pulls the boat and camper just fine. Plenty of power and very roomy inside. I'm 6'2" with plenty of leg room and headroom for me.

Love my Canyon

Patrick Chaisson, 11/08/2005

First time buyer of pick-up truck, serched web for past two years and decided to get it. All my friends love the looks and I and my wife have found our all round vehicle. I tow a small boat and it is a breeze. Lots of power and love the fuel economy. I am sticking with my GMC.

GMC Tough

fatboy, 12/22/2005

So far this truck has been everything I thought it would be for a small 5cyl truck. It gets the small jobs done perfectly and is a lot less expensive than the Tacoma. It is also easy to change the oil and air filter. Nice room under the hood.

Good Mid-sized Truck

RSWARD, 12/29/2005

Very happy with the truck. Like the I5 engine, good acceleration, fun to drive, gas mileage is around 17 (city). Get compliments on the vehicle. Would have liked a better turning radius. Interior plain and simple. Otherwise very happy with the truck and got a good deal on it with all the rebates.

Canyon a Great ride

Greg, 12/31/2005

This is my 6th compact truck and by far the best. My last was a Japanese brand- mistake. Interior convenience is so much better and the seat material so much more durable. I have a low end version with 4 cyl and auto, the power is suprising and I still get 16 mpg around town.

Canyon z71 crew 4x4

CrazyEyez, 02/05/2006

I just got the truck in October already has 4110 miles on it and I got it with 88 miles on it. Fuel mileage really stunk at first, but as with other owners I’ve talked to, it’s getting better as it breaks in some more. The ride is pretty good, though it is stiff being that mine is the 4x4 z-71. Handling is pretty good for a truck. The inline-5 motor has plenty of power, but it lacks in a good strong sound. The engine, though more powerful then the old 4.3L v-6, doesn’t sound as powerful as the v-6. I drove a 4.3L powered 2000 Blazer 4x4 4door, and I am missing that extra 25lb-ft of torque that the 4.3L has over the inline-5. And though I haven’t had a chance to, 4wd seems pretty strong.

GMC Rules

Truck Man, 05/21/2006

So far this has been the best truck I have ever had. I have the inline 5 and it has more than enough power. Great for work or play. Wouldn't buy anything else. Great truck!!!

awesome truck

Power, 11/18/2004

the funnest truck i've ever driven. I've owned 7 trucks in my past

Canyon

Cindy Miller, 12/02/2004

I personally think that it is probably the best vehicle on the road.I would recomend it to the whole world.

On The Road In A Canyon Pickup

Kent Sherry, 12/21/2004

I like the exterior styling and had several friends remarked how great it looked. Of course there were some extras such as the mud flaps and running board. The first day out of the dealership I took it out on some snow covered mountain roads in Pennsylvania. The 4-WD high range feature came in handy and the change from 2-WD to 4-WD was fast and smooth. I purchased a unit with alot of extras such as an MP3 radio, power windows and side mirrors, and remote locks. The truck has a 6 cyl Vortex Engine that kicks out over 220 hp. It is being set up for towing and I plan to pull an 18' pontoon boat during the summer months.

Charming Canyon

Edwin Feliu, 01/03/2005

This truck drives like any of the best Japanese SUVs, roars smoothly like a classic muscle car, the off road package gives you commanding visibility and a smooth ride that lures you for more driving, and the fuel economy is about 19-20 MPH if you stay in the highway. On wet pavement it is a steady stead. GMC successfully created the ideal SUV-truck hybrid: tough like a truck, yet spacious and comfortable like the best SUV. I am very impressed and pleased with the package and final invoice.This vehicle definitely and permanently changed my previous skeptical opinion and dislike for trucks in general.Thank you, GMC engineers, for this remarkable and extraordinary vehicular achievement.

Canyon uncovered

Rqquillen, 01/04/2005

The valve line has had to be rebuilt twice for under sized valve springs at 12,000 miles. There is a glitch in the valve spring strength to allow the recovery of the valves themselves. I am dissapointed that they don't offer the 6 cylinder in the motor. The 5 is enough power but it may give problems later. It need to be offered with 16 inch tires. The 15 is just too small.

Great truck

ed, 01/20/2005

This truck looks good and has plenty of room. Bought it for my 16 year old son. Very easy to drive with lots of safety features.

51050