Used 2005 GMC Canyon Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Canyon for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Canyon uncovered

Rqquillen, 01/04/2005

The valve line has had to be rebuilt twice for under sized valve springs at 12,000 miles. There is a glitch in the valve spring strength to allow the recovery of the valves themselves. I am dissapointed that they don't offer the 6 cylinder in the motor. The 5 is enough power but it may give problems later. It need to be offered with 16 inch tires. The 15 is just too small.

Great truck

ed, 01/20/2005

This truck looks good and has plenty of room. Bought it for my 16 year old son. Very easy to drive with lots of safety features.

GMC Canyon Underrated!

RT, 06/21/2005

My 2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab (with all the goodies) has been a superb performer: reliable, comfortable, and substantial. Fit and trim are good on the upgraded version with leather seats, etc. (not excellent, but good). The Canyon offers a sun /moonroof which is a must for me, an on-going convertible owner in California. I've owned Fords for the last twenty+ years (including F-150 & Rangers) and I remain a Ford fan. However, this GMC Canyon is encroaching on that favored status. The low-speed torque is lacking somewhat in this 3.5l truck. But, to me it's not big deal. The auto transmission is smooth, as is the 5-cyl. engine. The DRLs are a great safety feature.

2005 GMC Canyon

krushrr, 07/03/2005

I went with the GMC Canyon for the bucket seats over the Chevy Colorado and look of the GMC. I thought about the Toyota briefly but the Canyon/Colorado stole the show. The truck is a 4WD Extended Cab with the 5 cylinder 3.5L engine option and automatic transmission.

2005 Canyon crew

David, 07/19/2005

Seat comfort is substandard. Love the overall design. Gas mileage is to be expected from a 4 wheel drive. Stereo sounds good, but I really hate the auto volume.

Good commuter!

Tim, 07/28/2005

First the details: 2dr regular cab Z85 SLE with the 5cyl 3.5L automatic. I purchased this vehicle as a commuter and have been enjoying it a lot. I wanted the additional power of the 5cyl, but didn't need the extended cab. Combine the extra power, all the electric options/conveniences, and an automatic and you have a great commute vehicle. I looked at the Chevy Colorado, Toyota Tacoma, and a full size Silverado to compare. The combination I wanted was style, power, no extra cab, automatic trans, a way to transport the bike, and an occasional trip to Home Depot. This provided a great compliment to the weekend sportier car with a manual trans for more aggressive driving.

Perfect for me

1mortician, 07/30/2005

With all the bad reviews available on any vehicle, it is important to each driver to find/select the best vehicle for their individual needs. This vehicle aptly drives in the snow, moves mulch, hauls frequent loads from Home Depot, and helps move the occasional friend when called upon. My model is a fairly lightly optioned for an SLE packaged as I intended it ,3.5L, automatic, crank windows, manual locks, cruise control, good stereo. Finding a vehicle that is the combination of the right price, the right features and the right size is difficult, and for an all around well suited vehicle for my needs this Canyon delivers perfectly.

Downsize with a Reason

Joe, 08/02/2005

I traded a Dodge 2500 4x4 in for my new 2005 GMC Canyon. I traded because of the high gas prices. What I got was a truck that suits all my needs in every way. First off, this truck is stylish and tough looking. The Z71 package with the offroad suspension has me ready for any adventure I want to tackle. This truck is a great fit.

Excellent truck

neil lockhart, 08/10/2005

I have driven GMC trucks for 20 years after driving Fords for 16. They have never been in shop for repairs, so I bought another one. It's a great truck with plenty of power. I get 20mpg and a lot of compliments. It cost me $6000 less than the Japanese models and has more power than all other trucks in its class. Don't let the so-called experts fool you, if you can still get the good pricing, go for it.

Great vehicle

Bob, 08/20/2005

Has been totally reliable in 15k miles, great ride, surprising pickup and fuel mileage. I expected a lot and got more than I expected! And, it is made in the USA.

Only have 1100 on it

Daniel, 08/21/2005

I just picked this up, first one on the lot. I've only 1100 miles, but drove like a dream up in Yosimite and is very comfortable for my 40 minute commute, even with the standard cab. I am disapointed with the gas mileage, I am averaging 20.9mpg with an automatic, mostly freeway driving without AC. Seems very low to me. I was getting 20.2 mpg with my V8 Silverado. I bought this one, hoping to get an improvment over that. Over all, a very enjoyable compact pickup for only $13k. (AC, Cruise, standard cab)

Good comfortable transportation

roadrunner1722, 09/06/2005

Very pleased after about 1 month. Much more comfortable than the 2000 Sonoma x cab that it replaced. Back seats comfortable, 2.8 engine has more pep than the 2.2 and gets about the same gas mileage. I would like a bed a little larger though.

Very nice....

Doug, 11/26/2005

My Canyon is all that I could expect from a smaller truck. GREAT mileage with the 5 cylinder. Plenty of power. In fact, on a wet day the wheels actually break loose! Interior could be a bit more "classy".

Nice Little Truck

Phil, 01/26/2006

Overall, a good light-duty truck and I am happy with it. Fuel ecomony is about what the EPA said it would be (23MPG Hwy / 19MPG City). Fun to drive and the I-5 engine with the 3.42 rear end is peppy enough for everyday driving, but the cruise downshifts if you are climbing any significant grade at all - and rather abruptly! Cruise set on 65MPH will indicate 1750 RPM. No mechanical problems so far (6300 mi). I ordered it with leather seats & most of the available toys. No squeaks or rattles and the body is very tight. A good little truck for today's high gas prices!

Canyon-Great Truck for the Money

Tom N, 02/11/2006

The GMC Canyon is a great looking, very functional truck, particularly for medium duty use (truck is rated 1300 lb. payload, 4000 lb towing capacity). Interior is very clean looking, straightforward and functional with easy controls. Great ride, and 5 cyl is a good compromise between power and economy (21 mpg on last tankful, averaging just over 20 mpg). Seats could be more supportive but are not uncomfortable. Extended cab gives good inside storage capacity, but would not recommend it for passengers on long trips. If you need room for more than 2 passengers, go with the crew cab instead. Got a great deal on this truck on the fly 4WD, duraliner and tonneau for 22K

Love it

countryhonk, 02/14/2006

I love it. My last truck was a Toyota Taco 4cyl 4x4. My new Canyon 5 cyl has twice the horsepower and 2mpg better than the anemic Toyota. This truck is loaded with more gizmos than I need. My enthusiasum may be do in part by the ten thousand dollars I saved with the "employee discount for everyone" I paid 18000 w/tax and the window sticker was 26935 Even so this is a very nice truck and the G80 locking rear diff is what makes it happen for me. I have read that people say the straight 5 lacks power? Nonsense! Maybe if you put it in a heavy hummer, anyways this motor gives me better mpgs w/auto than my manual Toyota 4cyl. This truck smokes the tires ! Get a little higher in revs to make it work

Excellent truck

David, 10/30/2006

Love the exterior design. Interior is well laid out but it doesn't seem the designers spent a whole lot of time on it. Excellent fit and finish. Stereo is competent as well as the engine. The only problem I've had so far is a faulty fog light wire. Back seat is a little cramped but it is a compact truck.

Major Problems

Stauch, 11/15/2006

This is probably the worst vehicle I have ever purchased. I traded in a 2001 Dakota to try and improve on the amount of money I spend weekly for gas. I do quite a bit of driving due to my work, plus I have to be able to carry material with me out to distant job sites. My first 3 months the truck was in the shop 7 times. I called the GM hotline to no avail. All of the problems had stemmed from when the truck was built. Windsheild wiper transmission mounts welded in wrong place, causing wipers to dig through plastic, gouge windshield, and finally stripping, all during a major storm, which is what my job is all about. Defective wiring, fried CPU. Dead on the side of the road again

Good But.

Jason, 12/05/2006

For a midsize pickup I have no great complaints. It is great for a light load, and has a slightly larger look to it than the previous S-10. With 30,000 miles on it, I have had no problems.

It’s a so-so

Little Smokey, 04/09/2018
4dr Crew Cab Z71 SLE Rwd SB (3.5L 5cyl 4A)

The interior desks kinda tight. Making me wish that I should have gotten the Chevrolet Colorado extended cabor Chevrolet Silverado extended cab.

51050