Used 2004 Chevrolet SSR Consumer Reviews

$25,498

Used SSR for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Unbelievable

GentRancher, 02/17/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. The attention it gets is awesome. It is a nice roadster that finally has some functional room for taking trips. It is a truck, and does have functional value as one. It wasn't meant to compete with crew cabs, it is a whole lot more fun.

Awsome, Awsome, Awsome

AZ Carol, 02/22/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is fun to drive, has great power, and turns heads as you go down the road. It's not practical as a truck, but I don't think anyone who buys one is going to use it for hauling equipment. It's fun just like the corvette. The back has plenty of room for golf clubs and groceries. It's worth every penny. Chevy has a winner in the SSR.

A SSR FOR ME!

The Vitter, 09/27/2009
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I thought the truck was Bad when it first came out. The GM designers did their work on this one to create a unique ride. I almost bought a red 05 last year, but backed out. I started to look real hard for a clean one. I found one in my own backyard at Chase Chevrolet located in Stockton, Ca. I have driven the big engine and found that the small engine is just fine. I have owned many Chevy muscle cars in my day. Still i'm my geerage to this day are a stock 71 RS/Z28 350 LT-1 4 spd. A 67 Chevy II Nova with a 427/turbo 400 with 456 cogs. The black SSR i just bought is in pristine condition. I did not buy it for a hot rod, I bought it because it is a classy ride. The Heartbeat rides on

Class by itself!

aimsbrown, 01/03/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

A friend of mine took it for a test drive, stopped by a store and was returning home when he was pulled over by the police. Eventhough this is really a fast vehicle, the friend was not speeding, the officer just wanted to know what kind of car it was and if it was a concept car or production model. The first time I took it out, I fell in love with it! It is the new muscle truck for the true enthusiast. It drives almost like a vette without being as expensive nor sitting so low.

My beautiful SSR

Pat Yanish, 05/18/2010
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is awesome. I have wanted this SSR for six years and it was worth waiting for. It gives me a smooth ride and I feel great driving it.

Great toy to let the wind blow thru your hair !!

Andy, 03/21/2018
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought as a toy so I over look things others might not. If your depth perception isn`t good you probably shouldn`t buy. All four corners disappear & the mirrors are a must.You will get use to where the edges are.hopefully before you dent them. A blast to drive .has a stiff suspension so if you are looking for a smooth ride again don`t buy. Exhaust talks to you so if noise is a problem don`t buy. It`s my main ride and find a reason to go out everyday in it with the top down.If you don`t like attention don`t buy

Last of the Great Sport Cars

Sergeant39, 08/29/2009
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased my SSR in September 2008, after seeing it at the Dealers, and just had to have it. Have seen them in the past, and thought they were just the kind of vehicle I needed to have. Traded in a 2004 Mini Cooper, same yellow in color, but not a color person. It was just what was available. This SSR does everything asked of it. Comfortable in long drives as well as down the street. Always attracts looks of envy, jealousy, or whatever. There are only 2 others in the whole county, so I know it still attracts attention. Don't plan on ever getting rid of it and even have it mentioned in my will as to who gets it.

Awesome

pestamistic, 02/19/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

A fast sporty elegant piece of machinery that will amaze you every chance it can. Go ahead and push it; it will let you know what you are in for.

One Word - WOW

fatrat, 02/21/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

There is Only one word to describe the SSR.... WOW. it is so fun to drive and forget about all the looks that you get while driving it. everyone looks and points. Once the dealer let me take it for a test ride i was hooked. i called and said i was coming and he had it outside with the top down and he threw the keys at me and said let go. that was all it took. i love it. its like driving a corvette pick up truck. i.ve never had so much fun driving a car in a long time. down here in florida i'm sure the top will always be down.

Back in the Fifties

Dawagonman, 03/04/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I haven't seen a vehicle get this kind of attention since I did burnouts with my new Roadrunner in 68'. Everywhere I go it attracts people,stops traffic and causes drowling. I drove down Duval St in Key West with the top down and all I could hear was "DID YOU SEE THAT?". It's fun to drive, takes you back in time and makes you want to drive around 24-7.

My1st American Truck

my2004ssr, 07/01/2011
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2004 ssr in 2010 with only 1,600 miles.. with only adding 8k miles, i had to replace the windsheild wiper motor, gas tank, and coolant fans. A total of $7,000.. This will be my LAST american Vechical !!

No Spare

Nanuke, 12/21/2007
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I’ll just start by saying…I love my vehicle, and plan on having it till the day I die. It handles very well in the turns, but because of U.S. law, it has a governor to limit your top speed… bummer, but it will still get up and go. I have the 5.3 V8, and love the sound it makes when you romp on it. I also love the fact that it looks like nothing else on the road, and that people still stop and stare when I drive by…priceless.

Like nothing else on the road

dogd923, 03/13/2006
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Got my dream vehicle this January-a yellow SSR. Always wanted one, but the expense (they ARE pricey) was holding me back. A local dealer found me an '04 SSR with 900 miles. Low mileage ones are available-since these are NOT daily drivers. New ones go for 50k, but mine was a little over half that. True,mine has the 5.3 v8-the new ones have the 6 litre Corvette motor, but they look identical, and my truck has no problem in the power department. The truck gets lots of attention,from its 'old school" looks, bright paint, and the throaty growl of the V8-if you don't want to attract a lot of attention-don't buy one of these-gets smiles, and thumbs up everywhere I take it.

A roadster to remember

MATTS04SSR, 02/01/2009
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned all types of car and trucks. In fact I have a 64' Chevelle, the SSR is the best. I drive it as a daily driver, mine is an 04' purple. I get some looks that is for sure, not so good in the snow but, it is still fast and fun.

It rules the ROAD

Superman01992, 02/13/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I only need to say about four words to describe it: IT RULES THE ROAD!!!

SSR sweet.

jim owens, 02/14/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

if the looks knock you out wait till you get behind the pilot seat it makes you feel special its like no other the ride is very smooth if you want power no need to look any further it has a lot of charm i have never had a ride that makes me feel like this if you are having a bad day take one look at her and you will smile the rest of the day what a piece of cake rating ****

MY RED SSR

JAYDEE, 03/11/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

FROM THE MOMENT I SAT IN THE SSR I WAS HOOKED. I COULDN'T WAIT TO START IT UP AND HEAR THE NOTE OF THE EXHAUST. IT PERFORMS AS WELL AS EXPECTED AND THEN SOME. FUEL ECONOMY IS POOR, BUT EXPECTED CONSIDERING THE WEIGHT OF THE SSR. CONTROLS ARE AT YOUR FINGERTIPS AND THE BOSE SOUND SYSTEM WILL DROWN OUT ANY UNWANTED NOISE. THE SSR IS VERY QUICK ON THE TAKE OFF AND HAS PLENTY OF PEDAL LEFT EVEN WHEN CRUISING AT HWY SPEEDS. FUN TO DRIVE, BUT DRAWS A CROWD EVERY TIME YOU STOP FOR A BREAK. I LOVE IT, MORE FUN THAN MY LIMITED EDITION DAYTONA 500 TRANSAM

FUN SSR

hotssr, 05/08/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

most exciting fun vechicle I,ve ever driven. I don't ever want o drive a boring car again.

What a thrill

kenny andrus, 10/03/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

What a thrill to drive. Every time you get behind the wheel, it's like being 15 years old and first experiencing driving. A real head turner. Hopefully it will hold its value as predicted as mine is an investment. Has plenty of pep yet not hard on gas.

What a riot.

Wingnuts, 05/24/2005
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in an F-150 FX4 for this ride and love every second of it! Talk about a fun drive, but if you are an introvert you'll hate it because everybody wants to talk to you about it. Top down is the absolute best especially @60mph or less. The only issue I've had is cavitating with the windows down and the top up over 40mph. I'm glad I waited on it though as the dealer knocked off $15k from the sticker.

My Red Star

Richard Hobza, 01/23/2017
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle is not for everyone, Chevy really went all out on the design, I really love the build of the SSR. Old school with modern technology. I have many people ask if it was custom design and to their dismay they can't believe it is production. I just LOVE IT. Only have 5,300 on it but will not part with it, what a joy to drive! 2004 SSR

Part Pick Up, Part Roadster collectively a joy to

Gregg Kalmar, 09/18/2018
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Put the top town, hit the highway and find out what a true joy it is to drive!

"This is a collectors dream"

Dan Donald, 09/06/2018
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I was once ask by a older man( when I was getting out at a local home improve store) how I liked my CHEV. SSR. I told him it made me fill 20 years younger. He smiled and said I think I will get me two of them !!

My yellow SSR

myyellowSSR, 09/28/2009
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love how this truck handles, The power it has, right there when ya need it, Girl's do drive trucks. Just love It. What more can I say?

My Beautiful SSR

Pat Yanish, 05/18/2010
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is beautiful and in great condition. Drives like a charm and has a lot of get up and go. I love my SSR. Buying experience was outstanding. My sales person, manager and financial person were great and honest. Honesty is hard to come by. They were fantastic and I would recommend all my friends to go there.

SSR Super Stinky Roadster

kajunteddy, 10/12/2006
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It looks real good sitting beside the road while you wait for the tow truck. It looks good in the dealership repair shop. It would even look good in your garage if you could get it from the dealer to your garage. This is the worst made GM product and least stood behind. Forget the three year/ 36 K mile roadside towing assistance,(Which you will need) because GM will not honor it. If you want a quality built $50K vehicle, buy foreign.

Pumped

kcwlaf, 05/16/2008
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 in Dec 07. I have always wanted one but couldn't justify the price. Well the price was right and I got my new toy. It is my company vehicle and my daily driver. Makes me feel like a young man again. Top down is incredible and a great attention getter (nearly causes many fender benders) I had a vinyl wrap put on with my company logo and I tell you it is the cheapest and greatest advertising you can get. We put woodgrain accents above the fenders and on the gate. This baby looks like a true 40's roadster. I've owned over thirty vehicles in my life but this one has got to stay. My future grandchildren will have the opportunity to drive this one. Thanks GM!

My 2004 SSR

hueyhusser, 02/13/2008
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Great style. Great pick/up,I get 19mpg in town and 26 on hwy. Love truck and conv. style of driving machine. Have not had any problems what so ever.

It's all that AND a party hat !!!

DocFooFoo, 01/04/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

A W E S O M E !!!!!!!!!!!!

SSR lovers

hotdhs, 01/09/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a Tundra pickup 2 months ago and I bought a SSR today. Not because I need another car but because I need a SSR. Driving home 120 miles after purchase probably cured all my adult onset ds. Not for everyone, may be great for business promotional campaign. Wait patiently until you find a dealer who will sell it to you for MSRP or less. Too many gouging dealers out there.

The Best Yet

ibereb, 02/07/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

What a head turner. Just a real fun vehicle and a great ride.

FUNNNNnnnnn SSR !!!!!

XOXO Bill, 02/14/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am definately glad to have the honor to drive this new type of vehicle

Outstanding

deputydoug, 02/18/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It's a great vehicle.. long overdue

Best vehicle I've ever owned.

ssrowner, 02/22/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in my T-Bird for the SSR. Not a truck, but more versatile than any other 2 seater. Great looks and performance. It's a blast! Take your time to shop around. Many dealers were asking 5K to 10K over MSRP. Just wait it out. Don't let try to sell you the "integrated side saddle storage". The top already locks.

What A Ride

Twelve_v_man, 03/13/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I just picked up my Slingshot Yellow SSR today and have already driven over 100 miles. I can't wait to get thru the break in period so I can drive it the way it is meant to be driven

Can't Stop Smiling

drgb, 03/16/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Okay, okay, I waited and waited for this car, and worried that it would never meet my expectations. The first wait was concept to production, then Chevy's production problems, and lastly couldn't get a ship and build date--BUT- -now that it's here, I CAN'T STOP SMILING!! The SSr is gorgeous. Sure, the truck's not a rocket, but on crowded roads,who needs speed, anyways? The truck can't tow, but this isn't a workhorse, it's for stylin'. And, with that throaty rumble when you step on the gas, it's all about stylin'. Think I'll buy another color...

Our new SSR

Lewis Moore, 03/17/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck runs exellent. It is fast on take off to be so heavy. Out on the highway it is like going 60 mph when your going 120 mph. It holds the road and drives like a dream, better than anything I have ever driven before. The ride is smooth and sure. Chevrolet has once again out done themselves.

Incredible!

UPS-er, 03/19/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased the black SSR adding only running boards and ghost flame graphics with underneath red LED lights! This truck is the most fun I've had in years! Even more fun to show than my custom motorcycles. Handles great! Love the corvette feel and rumble!

SSR

john krelow, 04/02/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

EXCELENT HANDLING, GREAT HORSE POWER, VANTASTIC LOOKS--A REAL EYE-CATCHER. GOOD SOUND SYSTEM, VERY COMFORTABLE AND A UNIQUE SOUNDING DEEP HORSEPOWERD RUMBLE.

BillyBsSSR

billyb48439, 04/22/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I really love the attention I get when I drive My SSR. Every place I go people young & old ask questions about it. People think it has been custimized by Me. They don't know it is a prodution vehicle made in a factory & a 04 model.I am glad it is made in the USA, in Lansing MI. I would not have bought it, if was not made in USA.

The Smile and thumbs up car

Ron Cox, 05/01/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this as a second car, but got rid of my Mercedes CL500 after two weeks of driving this SSR because it is so much fun. I just didn't want to drive anything else. EVERYONE seems to love this car. The only problem, if you want to call it that, is that it attracts an extraordinary amount of attention everywhere you go, fun though. Fun is what it is all about. As for the one complaint... not enough power, (is there ever enough ?) well I'm supercharging it next week and that will bring it up to about 460 hp. That should help offset the 4700 lbs.

ssr

lm`, 05/25/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

the most different and fun to drive vehicle to come out in a long time

best in years

candace, 07/04/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

this is the best truck i have seent in years i have had a truck my whole life and i have never been more satisfied as i am now!!!!

Great Ride

Balloons, 08/02/2004

Great Ride super look!

yahoo

DDD, 08/26/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love this car it is the coolest car and I think everyone should have one and I can't wait to get mine customized in hot pink. Its going to look so cool and it will be the only one like it!

Ten days of sheer joy so far

Gentlespirit, 10/04/2004
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 SSR 10 days ago. It is Slingshot Yellow and has all of the trimmings except the chrome wheels. I got an incredible deal from the dealer: 8% discount AND 72 months at 0% financing. Some of the salesmen suggested I might have "stolen" it (heh heh). Well certainly not. But I can certainly say I couldn't have afforded it any other way. An MSRP of nearly $47K put it out of reach until the magic of discount + 0% came around. I have been driving it all around for the past 10 days. It has been pure unadulterated joy. I get thumbs up, "OK" hand signs, rolled down windows with big smiles and every other kind of admiration everywhere I go. A huge boost to my self esteem. I adore it!

Attention Getter!

berne1, 01/23/2005
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I got my 2004 SSR in December. The prices have come down since the launch. This car is definitely an attention-getter! The first day I got it I was stopped at the dry cleaner by a passerby to give me a compliment. I can't wait for summer to put the top down. This car looks sleek and low but actually sits up quite high, which is the best of both worlds. I love the interior design with the gauge package and upgraded stereo.

Loving my SSR

james mayo, 02/21/2006
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love to let the top down and take my wife for sunset cruises. My SSR is yellow. It is so beautiful against the sunset. It also gets a lot of looks and comments from other motorists. I let my best friend drive it. He loved it so much that he bought one. I will keep my SSR till I die.

My 2004 SSR experience

Gary, 01/13/2007
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have been driving vehicles for almost 40 years and this is the neatest, most exciting and fun vehicle I have ever had the pleasure to drive. It turns heads and gives a driving experience that no vehicle has ever given me.

Wow Factor

Peter Nielsen, 03/01/2007
2dr Regular Cab Convertible LS Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have never owned a more fun vehicle to drive, the ride is great, handling is impressive, fuel economy is around 19 combined, and the WOW factor is incredible. I think I will keep this one for ever.

51050