Used 2001 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Impala for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

200000 miles plus easy with this vehicle

Needas, 03/30/2008

I have had my impala for 7 years now, with over 225000 miles, I still get 29 miles to the gallon average for all driving. I have only replaced the catalytic converter. It still has the same get up and go. It is wonderful on long trips. The only car I have ever owned that does not hurt my back after 12 hours of driving. I own three Chevy's all over 200000 miles, one over 300000 miles, if you want minimal repairs and a long lasting vehicle, Chevy's are your car, with Impala's leading the pack

1st 165k were troublefree

Eric, 02/10/2009

Bought new as a company car, drove the 1st 165k no trouble except for 1 check engine for bad gas. Bought the car from my employer at ~80k; still driving it daily at 248k. It does eat front rotors; you get one turn, then replace 'em. I'm on the 3rd set on front. Most of what has gone wrong was mostly due to my failure to do maintenance, and due to operator abuse like overcranking the steering wheel or driving over a cinder brick on the interstate while clipping along at 80 mph (Yeah, I did that; not recommended). Problems coming fast now at 248k, but I'm not amazed. Time to get another Impala. Advice - Change transaxle fluid every 30,000 miles if you want max life on the trans

Money PIT!!!!!!

drsmilzel, 01/26/2011

I have had my impala since 04 I bought it used with 60,000 miles on it. I have replaced the motor once, tranny once, and the power steering went 2 times and that was withing the first 2 years under the warrenty as well as the ABS and traction control sensors in the hubs are a pain they go every 2 years if not more often. Now after the warrenty is up I will say this thing has sucked more money out of me then if I had children! I find my self replacing the power steering pump constantly and the high presure line and the rack and pinion. The gas gauge doesnt work cause the level sensor in the sending unit is frozen and they want 300 for the whole unit cause you can't get just the level sensor.

RE- THINK if your going to spend more

Gene from Mass, 02/27/2002

I have owned my Impala 9 months. YOU can't find a better car for the MONEY! You can't find more ROOM in it's class. You can't find better GAS milage in it's class. You can't beat the PRICE. Luxury, Ride, Power, Handling, Room, Looks, What's not to like?

Faithful Horse

wyddon, 03/30/2015
LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I know many had problems with the 2000 - 2004 - engine cradle, brakes, windshield leak to mention a few. Traded mine in with 109,000 miles, slight hail damage, LOUD Front End Bearing Noise between 40 and 70, along with sensor failures. It just got old. It was a good car until the sensors started wear out. Got low 20 around town and upper 20's on the Interstate for gas mileage. Bladder full before gas gauge screams for attention. Styling was not too dated, always comfortable. Always knew the electric bells and whistles would be the end of the car. Front Air Dam was shot too. Engine temp slowly increased as the the Dam deterioated. Used extended warranty, paid for itself.

Constant lack of starting

Brett, 07/24/2010

From the get go the car was awesome. Then the lack of starting periodically. Some said the ignition/alarm but I searched the internet and found the problem to everyone's trouble was the 1) BCM (body control module) Chevy charge $350 reprogrammed a new one and solved that problem 2) Rotors. Solved that too. Ceramic brake pads. Keeps the rotors cooler on contact. 3) Rack and Pinion. Shot but works like a BMW. Can totally feel the road now. 4) Corners bad-solved with polyurethane bushings to the sway bar. Now the perfect family sedan. Corners like a police car/mileage like a small car. Buy a 2003 on for Onstar 90,000 mile 34 mpg consistently on the hwy. Still a great multi-duty vehicle

Thorn in my flesh!

Laura, 10/06/2008

Not many people are in the market these days specifically for an '01 Impala, but for the poor soul that might be considering this car a viable option, stop. I loved this car when I bought it and it ran perfectly for the first couple years. Then, at 50K miles, I had to rebuild the transmission. Downhill from there. The security system wiring is a mess, had to replace catalytic converter, oxygen sensors, head gaskets, fuel intake manifold, exhaust filter...on and on! Last Sunday, the drivers side window fell unprovoked down into the door and the power window motor will have to be replaced. But, I will not spend one more dime on this piece and not on any other GM, for that matter. Awful.

Great Performance

scottxwinston, 08/29/2010

Love this car! It Rides smoother than my Grandmother's 2002 Cadillac Deville. It's very roomy and fun to drive. I feel very safe in this car. It also gets better gas mileage than previous 4 cyl car did. My Impala has almost 170,000 miles on it and it's still running great. The 3400 V6 engine is like a tank!

Best car ever owned

andybenz, 12/28/2014

We bought it used back in 2009 and its the BEST car we ever owned. I have never ridden in a car that is SO smooth and Comfortable! and when you step on it. the car whooshes down the road. and I sit back enjoying the ride. We haven't had any issues with it. We have the LS trim so it looks so much attractive with the sporty look and the wheels and has a much bigger engine. We still have it with almost 200k miles and still runs like new except for the smoky smell after you really step on it after 150k miles. but thats just the grease. could happen to any car anyway

transmission problem

John Dee, 04/07/2018
4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

transmission went at 127,000 miles. That's just unacceptable. I actually liked the car until this happened.

2001 impala 3,4 v6

roy coleman, 07/09/2008

Bought this car, with 13,000 miles, and about 8 months old. Car now has 170,000 miles. First set of tires, lasted over 140,000 miles, there has been only one set of new rotors and two sets of brakes put on this car since new. Runs absolutely great, original plug's lasted 160,000 miles, just recently changed them. Have had some problem's with the air conditioner, having to do with the way Chevrolet designed the system to work. Based on sensors, as to where they do or do not respond properly. Every problem that this car has had I fixed myself, as they were minor. This is and has been a great car.

I'll never buy a GM vehicle ever again

Mark, 04/14/2016
LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a money pit constant major repairs. And the recalls, I'm currently on a long list to get the recalls fixed, both of that may kill you. Handling? It handles like a boat..... Ok the positive's of the car, it's roomy and comfortable, it get's decent mpg for the size. Don't be fooled by my mileage 200k this is my 3rd engine and 2nd transmission in this lemon Among many smaller repairs. I don't mind repairs I understand eventually things go bad or maintance needs to be done, but when parts fail because they are poorly designed or cheaply made that's what makes me angry and I'll take my business elsewhere.

This is not a family sedan

atmandjLS01, 01/26/2009

I just got this car 4 months ago and already I had to spend $600 replacing the oil pan gasket. Also, the owner before me had to replace a couple parts like the steering rack, as well, which cost him around 2 grand, parts+labor. It drives great, has plenty of power for freeway driving although electrical problems bring it down, like intermittent times where the turning signals dont work. For all its problems, it is still worth buying.

Great Car

brian, 12/29/2009

Would recommend this car for someone who wants sports car but has family very comfortable good on gas 3.4 performance ok but used to driving a camaro z28. Front end needs some rebuild after 120k but not as expensive as some may say cost about $400. most cars require some rebuild after 100k so dont complain normal wear and tear. Little oil leak just damp under oil pan who ever said 600. to replace is getting ripped off easy to change. Transmission shifts great run awesome getting ready to tune up for 100k tune-up great car dependable.

impala sucks!

Shelley, 07/07/2002

I purchased a 2001 white Impala LS, fully loaded for $27,000 & it has been my nightmare ever since! Ten months later and the transmission has gone out THREE times! You have to schedule an appointment, 25 miles away, to have it looked at. Let me tell ya, I've been doing a lot of reading up on Illinois lemon laws. The 0% is what got me to buy the car and I will never, ever, ever buy a Chevy again. I have tried numerous times to trade it in and it's true about the value of it dropping as soon as you drive it off the lot. 10 months later and it books at $12,000 less than what I paid for it. Don't buy Impalas!

Reliable Car!

jig226, 01/29/2003

This Impala is my first brand new car. It works great. But I have to mention several problems of it. First, in the winter time when temperature is very low, there is squeaking noise when braking slowly. Second, one of the door windows is a little shaking when it is not closed entirely. Third, the display on the screen will be faint out automatically. Anyway, it's great and reliable car.

No matter what color, impalas r lemons

troy8432, 06/17/2004

Electrical - Turn signals wouldn't work at 3K miles. Brake rotors - Warped at 3K miles. Chevy replaced but told me next time I would pay. Transmission - Fail to shift at 15K, 20k, 25k, and 35500 miles. Chevy found no fault until 36100 miles. Hmmm...just after original warranty expired. Ignition - 38k, intermittently won't recognize key and fails to start. Can't disable system. No matter what I will sell this car at 69999 miles or before. I expect the fenders to jump off at 70k.

You get what you pay for

e humphrey, 11/29/2004

I have almost 49000 miles on my Chevrolet .The steering has had excessive work required, both struts have been replaced some sort of drag link has been replaced two times.The electrical system is a joke, the fuel gauge works part time,other indicators are unreliable.The transmission is noisy and slams in when shifting down.

Run Far Far Away!

Piece of Junk, 01/30/2007

I've only put 24k miles on this car and have had to replace brakes and rotors twice. Thermostat twice, the temp gauge keeps going out and when that happens the air/heat doesn't work properly. New exhaust system only to find out it was recalled and gm only reimbursed me 60% of the cost. Rattles between 55-65. Performance is horrible. Gas mileage is nowhere near what GM claims. And this week the transmission just went out. I am buying Japanese from now on. This car is completely unreliable and I would recommend you not even test drive it. I now have so much negative equity that I have to buy a much more expensive car to carry it.

My tranny

walkhud, 08/01/2007

Bought the car at 188,000km. It had a new transmission 1 year before we purchased it so we thought we were safe despite the mileage. Transmission went within 1,000km. They said there was a problem with a heater that warms the transmission fluid and that killed 2 transmissions ($2500 CDN to fix). New battery ($200). Oil in our coolant led to a new radiator ($800 CDN to fix). Now we have oil in our coolant again 2 months later...we'll wait and see now. By the way, we've only driven 5,000km! That's $0.70/km not counting car payments/insurance/gas.

LS NOT RELIABE

FRANK DAVIS, 03/21/2002

I really wish US auto makers would get it together. I spend too much time dropping this car off at the dealership. Transmission problems,AC problems and noises under the dash. I'm going back to buying NISSANs. The car looks and handles great, but it's not reliable.

My Favorite Car

Justin, 10/31/2018
LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Said goodbye to the impala tonight. Loved the 3.8 L engine. I got 305,000 miles on it. Very few problems. Traded it in for a newer car with updated safety features as my wife and I are expecting a child soon. I'm going to miss my Chevy.

Wonder Car. I wonder what will break next

Oilmech, 05/16/2016
LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, in very good condition and well maintained as a commuter for my wife. Within two years of of a 50 mile round trip commute on easy roads the transmission, alternator, air pump system, several solenoids, thermostat and several sensors failed at around 70,000 miles on the car. The latest issues is that the front bearing hubs are starting to fail. Thankfully, I can do most of the repairs myself or I would have needed a second mortgage on my home to pay for everything. While the car is comfortable and the heated seats are great in cold weather, I am sick of fixing it and am in the process of selling the car. Yes, it is an older car, but the failures are inexcusable on a car with relatively low mileage that has had good care. We have had several GM vehicles over the years, this one was by far the least reliable and most expensive to own. There will be no more GM vehicles in our garage. Update. The car was sold at a significant loss after I grew tired of spending every weekend doing repairs on it.

Definately have got my money's worth

Karen C., 09/16/2018
LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Have have had very good luck ,so much so that we own 3 Impalas 2001,2013 and 2014 ,only issue with the 01 is a glitch in the security system ,if you let it go through 4 rounds of flashing from battery to security ,till it flashes single on each 1 it starts right up was told by dealership it would be $1,500 to fix ,if i does this it starts in less than 10 minutes ,wasn't worth my hard earned money to fix something that happens 1 time a year .

Don't Want to Give Up My Impala

Judy, 11/01/2010

Purchased this car new. Currently has 122,000 miles on it. Classy looking and very comfortable. This vehicle handles and rides like a dream even through I am hard on vehicles. I did have some issues with the electrical system during the first few months, but they were resolved. As others have noted, there is an issue with a knock in the steering & the gas float doesn't work anymore, but I work around it. Getting approx 28 mpg in rural driving situation. Husband is pushing for a new car, but I don't like the style of the new Impala's. Hate to see the "old girl" go. I'll probably go for an all wheel drive crossover this time since I can't find a sedan that gives me what I want.

EXCELLENT DRIVING MACHINE

sear2, 07/15/2003

Edmunds is right, it might be call the Impala, but this beautiful front wheel- drive family sedan has little in common with the v8-powered rear-drive models of the past. It is a much better sedan. than the past, excellent performance from 3.4 V6 & 3.8 V6. And it is better sedan than Ford, Chrysler & Toyata.

It's a Chevy

Chevy for my Baby, 01/03/2006

I bought this car used for my wife when it had 60,000 miles on it, now has about 85K. It's been a decent car, a good road car. Had to replace spark plugs at 62K, catalytic converter at 65K (under warranty). Problems include intermittently working turn signals, squeaky suspension, motor on drivers' power window switch about to go out. Steering feels too light, car doesn't feel very substantial for it's size. My biggest gripe is that the car can't make it up a moderate grade without downshifting, which gets tiring on long trips. My 4 cylinder '89 Acura makes it up without so much as a hesitation.

twice satisfied

whking, 10/02/2004

This is our second Impala LS. The first ('00) has more than 80k and has had no problems, brakes lasted until 75k. We still have it and now have 3k on 01 LS used with similar great performance. Car is underrated.

Excellent

intercat, 06/01/2003

I love this car. I purchased it to celebrate my graduation from college (35 years after high school) and suriving breast cancer. It's beautiful, and it is everything I wanted it to be.

review

c m brady, 04/10/2002

excellent in ach category

Good Car

Dana Ripley, 07/06/2008

I thought someone should write a review that was not based on an immediate car malfunction situation. I have had this 01 Impala with 3.4 for almost three years. I have put 70,000 miles on it. The intake manifold gaskets had to be replaced at about 65,000 $600 (a well known problem by now), the coolant level sensor has gone twice at $55 each, it had the steering shaft issue under warranty and that is it. I have not had to change the plugs yet at 101,000, nor a single light bulb, no oil usage, factory tires went 95,000 miles and the gas mileage is excellent (22C -34 R). I drive it on the interstate a lot. It makes me money at the standard IRS reimbursement rate. I would buy another.

Drive till it's dead

Scott, 08/04/2008

Being military we drive these vehicles as police patrol cars. So I know first hand these cars can take a beating because we drive them 24/7, 20- 25K miles ayear. When I had the opprotunity I brought an Impala. I try to tune up all my used cars as soon as I get them, but had no chance. So after two weeks, one of the plug wires went out so I had the whole set replaced (plus sparkplugs). She runs great now, lots of leg room, put 18 inch rims and tires on. Went on a 9 hour driving trip, solid car inside and out, looks great. I had a '03 525I and drove it to Southern Bavria, wish I had this car instead, my lower back would have appreciated it.

Can it be fixed

doublejv, 04/24/2002

Fun to Drive.

Love My Impala

springtulip108, 09/22/2008

We bought this car used with 32,000 miles and now I have over 122,000. Never had any problems except with rotors. Love this car. We are starting to look for something with less miles but wish I could buy this car over again (don't like the design of the new Impalas).

GM WONDERS WHY THERE SELLS ARE DOWN

deerslayer, 12/21/2007

I have owend gm for a very long time have 6 of them now but this car is just trouble traction control problems ,brakes ,wheel play,hubs replaced 2 times,the dash stays light up with problems all the time I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER CAR LIKE THIS FROM THEM AGAIN GOOD LUCK GM IM GONE

Old Faithful

extreme commuter, 11/22/2008

I bought my fully loaded Impala LS from friends at 3 years and 28,000 miles. I put 214000 miles on it in 5.5 years. It was a great car and never let me down. I had some of the same issues as others with brakes, catalytic conv., rack and pinion and recently with sensors (low coolant), but the problems were infrequent. I donated the car this week at 242000 and it was still going strong. (Although I suspect that the tranny was on the way out...) I put some money in over time, but not lots, and the car served me well. Heck, the fuel economy went up from a steady 28 to 30mpg after 150,000 mi. How many cars can make that claim? I have owned many excellent GM autos, and this is certainly among them!

Great car.

Professor1, 05/08/2002

Love this car. Drives well, great mileage, very comfortable and safe. The car is by far my favorite, especially with options like dual temperature controls (my girlfriend can stay warmer), a great stereo, very roomy, and steering wheel controls for radio and cruise...Oh! And I really like split split front seats with safety options like side air bags. This car was well designed and well built, I'll be keeping mine a long time.

Mach 2.5

Toady Two Step, 12/19/2008

My mom bought this car in 2004 used with about 30k on it or so. Drove it until having heart surgery, and then passed it on to me. At first, I loved the thing. It cruises very fast (As she said "Impalas, run. It's great on West Virginia/Pennsylvania's twisty roads too. But, it could be more comfortable, ride a little smoother, have a bit more pep-in-it's step, and most importantly- -stop. I pride myself in being the only 20 year old I know who doesn't need TCS in winter--because the ABS/TCS sensor hasn't worked in over a year. Also needs new rotors...again. Great beginner's car. But, when I give it back? I'll get a CVPI.

Watch out.

Jordiec, 01/02/2009

After owning this car for 6 months, I've already had to put more than 1k into repairs for it and there is currently something wrong with it, yet again. I bought this car used, with 76k on it and was in love with it! So far I've had problems with the body control module, fan system, and doors. I admire the interior - the seats are comfortable and it is roomy. It also gets pretty good gas mileage for such a big car. However, it is completely unreliable. It is cheaply made - the materials used are low quality. Just yesterday the gas cap fell off and a piece of the trunk interior did aswell. If youre going to buy a used car - look elsewhere! It is not a wise investment.

Lemon!

jenn76, 01/26/2009

We bought this car 7 years ago. After the warranty ran out we have had nothing but trouble. We have had to replace the fuel pump, the transmission (before it ever reached 100,000 miles). At one point the car would shut off while I was driving it! Just recently, the engine basically exploded and set on fire. Our mechanic said it was due to a fuel leak that was running through the engine. I would never recommend this car! We have sunk over $5000 in it just for repairs. GM has offered no recalls for the problems we have had.

Way to go Chevy!

Safetyman, 05/16/2002

Car is driven for business and personal use, miles pile on quickly. I spend 40+ hours a week in the car, and I've enjoyed every minute & mile. Best Chevy I've owned or been in since my dad's '66 Impala. No comparison to the Chevy's of the '80's or early '90's.

my review

HXS, 06/03/2002

The only afordable car that fits me (6'4", 215#) and my family of four. Very comfortable, great gas mileage.

WAS an Impala kid

WAS an Impala kid, 08/22/2009

I had loved the car. I wanted to buy another. THEN all the issues built up over the years. Do highway driving, garaged. The electrical system is very messed up in these cars. My temp gauge has not worked in years in the winter. Now it does not work when air temp is under 80 degrees.had wiring and sensors replaced and it still does not work. gas gauge now floats, directionals go out (mostly when humid), have a $900 oil leak. Under $100 for parts but $800 in labor to lift engine to get to. I also have the traction control and ABS issue. They go on when not needed and disble on their own. We like the new malibu (car of the year) but am so soured on Chevy.

Terrible Car

Nancy, 09/19/2009

Bought the car about 5 months ago. Totally disappointed in vehicle. Gas gauge quit working, won't start half the time, gas mileage isn't near as good as they say it should be. All in all the car is terrible. I would love to get rid of it. Had a Chrysler before this and loved it, but had to get new car because Chrysler was wrecked. I won't advise anyone in buying this Chevy. It is a piece of JUNK!!!!!!!

Good ride but you will pay for it $$$$

GregS, 09/15/2009

To be fair i bought it used and was an x security car. Anyway had the head gasket, lifters, tie rods, and the air stopped working. I do have 184,000 so that part is good. Key lock problem a huge pain but can be reset by leaving the key in on position for 11 minutes exactly as it resets! Stinks if you are in a hurry because it happens at the worst times!

Original Owner 2001-2009

Arizonan, 11/13/2009

Owned car from 2001 to current (2009). Been a good car. Comfortable for long trips, reliable, attractive enough. Decent gas mileage per age of car now. Currently over 105,000 miles. Normal repairs and regular oil changes, and car has continued to be a good car. Large enough for family comfort too.

Best Purchase I ever made

Jerry, 12/11/2009

Never have I had such a great car! Every other auto I have owned; Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota.. None have come close to the dependability and quality of my Impala. I'll drive this one til the wheels fall off! It's had it's share of incidents. Less than a month old the rear end was crushed (Drunk Driver hit us). It has hit two deer. Yet it keeps on chugging. Power/handling are just as good today as when we drove it off the lot 8yrs ago. Not to mention 151000 miles and still average over 30mpg! I'd buy another - but why!

great car

claimjumper, 01/22/2010

bought this car used in 2002 with 22000 miles on it, has been best car i ever owned ,replaced intake gaskets at 90,000 miles other than reg maintenance no problems, use it as back up car for all the family now has 156,000 on it, still would take it anywhere.

2001 chevy impala

laura, 03/23/2010

battery light continuously come on, changed the battery and it still comes on. service light comes on after bringing it into the shop. car bucks to the point where the cars about to break down, and is undrivable. dashboard lights dim. hesitated start.

My first Impala

P Harvey, 06/23/2002

Everything so far is great. Only complaint is the constant mailings from GM wanting me to take the car in for replacemnt of an air bag sensor (WHICH WAS DONE AND REPORTED TO GM NUMEROUS TIMES)

51050