Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan
Which 3 Series does Edmunds recommend?
Edmunds' Expert Review
- Balances sharp handling with a ride quality that won't beat you up
- Engine choices offer power, smoothness and fuel efficiency
- Interior is upscale and spacious, with logical, easy-to-use controls
- Base 320i model offers limited feature availability
- Storage for small personal items is limited
Overall rating4.5 / 5
The 2017 BMW 3 Series should be near the top of the list for shoppers wanting a compact luxury sport sedan. Whether enjoying its blend of features and refinement or putting its smooth optional engine to the test, you'll be impressed. It runs in a crowded class, but the 3 Series is one of the best.
BMW practically invented the compact luxury car decades ago, and today's 3 Series advances that heritage. It's the best-selling car in its class, and for good reason. Few can match its artful blend of performance and refinement, though that doesn't stop them from trying. In either sedan or wagon style, the 3 Series makes few compromises. It's simultaneously comfortable and sporty, compact without being confining, and its engines are fuel-efficient and powerful. It's a truly fantastic all-rounder with no significant flaws.
Notably, we picked the 2017 BMW 3 Series as one of Edmunds' Best Used Cars.
2017 BMW 3 Series models
The 2017 BMW 3 Series is available in sedan and wagon body styles. (The 3 Series Gran Turismo hatchback is reviewed separately, as are coupe and convertible models collectively known as the BMW 4 Series.) Sedans come in 320i, 328d, 330i, 330e and 340i trim levels with standard rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive (called xDrive) is optional on all but the 330e plug-in hybrid. The wagon is available only in 330i xDrive and 328d xDrive trims. The 320i is the cheapest way into a 3 Series, but it lacks many standard and optional creature comforts. Best to start at the 330i.
The 320i starts with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine (180 horsepower, 200 pound-feet of torque) and a choice of a six-speed manual or an eight-speed automatic transmission. Standard feature highlights include 17-inch wheels, remote locking and unlocking, push-button start, automatic wipers, dual-zone automatic climate control, premium vinyl upholstery, BMW Assist emergency telematics, Bluetooth connectivity, the iDrive infotainment interface, a 6.5-inch display and a nine-speaker sound system.
The 330i has a more powerful 2.0-liter engine (248 hp, 258 lb-ft of torque) as well as power-adjustable front sport seats, power-folding and heated side mirrors, auto-dimming mirrors, paddle shifters for automatic transmission-equipped models, driver-seat memory functions and split-folding rear seatbacks.
The 328d and 330e sedans come similarly equipped. Both also use a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine paired only to the eight-speed automatic, but the 328d engine uses diesel fuel and generates 180 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque. The 330e engine takes conventional gasoline but is augmented by an electric motor for a combined 248 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque.
The 328d and 330i wagons are equipped like the sedans and also come with a panoramic sunroof, roof rails, a power liftgate and the eight-speed automatic transmission.
Finally, the 340i sedan has a turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine (320 hp and 330 lb-ft), the contents of the Premium package (see below), LED headlights, keyless entry and ignition, a sunroof and a 16-speaker Harman Kardon audio system (optional on most other models). The M Sport package (see below) is also standard, but its contents can be replaced by those from the Sport or Luxury packages.
There are several option packages for the 2017 3 Series. In our opinion, the main ones to look out for are Premium and Technology as they further equip the 3 Series with a host of desirable convenience and tech-oriented extras. Other popular picks include the Track Handling package (improves handling) and the two Driver Assistance packages that add many advanced driver safety aids.
|Overall||4.5 / 5|
Noise & vibration4.5
Ease of use4.5
Getting in/getting out4.0
Child safety seat accommodation5.0
Audio & navigation5.0
Most helpful consumer reviews
Features & Specs
Our experts like the 3 Series models:
- Active Driving Assistant
- Camera-based system combines lane departure warning, forward collision warning, autonomous braking and pedestrian detection.
- Active Blind-Spot Detection
- Alerts you with in-mirror lights when a vehicle is in blind spot, followed by steering wheel vibration if you attempt to change lanes.
- Side and Top View Camera
- Offers top-down, 360-degree view of the car and surroundings to monitor approaching traffic and maneuver in tight spaces.
NHTSA Overall Rating5 out of 5 stars
- Frontal Barrier Crash RatingOverall4 / 5Driver4 / 5Passenger5 / 5
- Side Crash RatingOverall5 / 5
- Side Barrier RatingOverall5 / 5Driver5 / 5Passenger5 / 5
- Combined Side Barrier & Pole RatingsFront Seat5 / 5Back Seat5 / 5
- RolloverRollover5 / 5Dynamic Test ResultNo TipRisk Of Rollover9.5%
- Side Impact TestGood
- Roof Strength TestGood
- Rear Crash Protection / Head RestraintGood
- IIHS Small Overlap Front TestNot Tested
- Moderate Overlap Front TestGood
Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan Overview
The Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan is offered in the following styles: 330i SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 320i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 330i xDrive SULEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 330e iPerformance 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 8A), 340i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A), 320i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A), 340i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A), 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A), and 328d xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A). Pre-owned BMW 3 Series Sedan models are available with a 2.0 L-liter gas engine, with output up to 248 hp, depending on engine type. The Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan comes with rear wheel drive, and all wheel drive. Available transmissions include: 8-speed shiftable automatic. The Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan comes with a 4 yr./ 50000 mi. basic warranty, a 4 yr./ unlimited mi. roadside warranty, and a 4 yr./ 50000 mi. powertrain warranty.
What's a good price on a Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan?
Price comparisons for Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan trim styles:
- The Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan 320i is priced between $18,499 and$26,590 with odometer readings between 17492 and88367 miles.
- The Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i xDrive SULEV is priced between $23,398 and$31,998 with odometer readings between 7696 and44864 miles.
- The Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan 320i xDrive is priced between $22,495 and$26,998 with odometer readings between 15883 and56003 miles.
- The Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i SULEV is priced between $21,999 and$27,998 with odometer readings between 29915 and59855 miles.
- The Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan 340i is priced between $29,998 and$33,998 with odometer readings between 7395 and62141 miles.
- The Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330e iPerformance is priced between $23,990 and$23,990 with odometer readings between 42006 and42006 miles.
- The Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan 340i xDrive is priced between $37,988 and$37,988 with odometer readings between 41385 and41385 miles.
Shop with Edmunds for perks and special offers on used cars, trucks, and SUVs near Ashburn, VA. Doing so could save you hundreds or thousands of dollars. Edmunds also provides consumer-driven dealership sales and service reviews to help you make informed decisions about what cars to buy and where to buy them.
Which used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedans are available in my area?
Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan Listings and Inventory
There are currently 36 used and CPO 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedans listed for sale in your area, with list prices as low as $18,499 and mileage as low as 7395 miles. Simply research the type of used car you're interested in and then select a prew-owned vehicle from our massive database to find cheap used cars for sale near you. Once you have identified a used or CPO vehicle you're interested in, check the AutoCheck vehicle history reports, read dealer reviews, and find out what other owners paid for the Used 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan.
Shop Edmunds' car, SUV, and truck listings of over 6 million vehicles to find a cheap used, or certified pre-owned (CPO) 2017 BMW 3 Series Sedan for sale near you.
Can't find a used 2017 BMW 3 Series 3 Series Sedan you want in your area? Consider a broader search.
Find a used BMW 3 Series for sale - 4 great deals out of 19 listings starting at $25,378.
Find a used BMW for sale - 7 great deals out of 21 listings starting at $20,550.
Find a used certified pre-owned BMW 3 Series for sale - 6 great deals out of 21 listings starting at $12,952.
Find a used certified pre-owned BMW for sale - 10 great deals out of 14 listings starting at $18,872.
Should I lease or buy a 2017 BMW 3 Series?
Is it better to lease or buy a car? Ask most people and they'll probably tell you that car buying is the way to go. And from a financial perspective, it's true, provided you're willing to make higher monthly payments, pay off the loan in full and keep the car for a few years. Leasing, on the other hand, can be a less expensive option on a month-to-month basis. It's also good if you're someone who likes to drive a new car every three years or so.