Used 2000 Pontiac Sunfire Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Pontiac Sunfire - Consumer Reviews

2000 Pontiac Sunfire

View reviews for a specific Sunfire model:

Fullfilled My Expectations
By Leanne

2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

Bought almost new, In total, i have put 110K on it. I have had almost no issues at all in the 6 years I've had it. I still get 28 mpg avg. It has been a good investment; paid off 2 years ago and kept on going. For a 4 cyl. it goes pretty well, no trouble passing, and travels well at 60+. Had recent starter trouble, replaced it, no problem since. Also gas gauge seems to be off sometimes, but i've never had it looked at. I live in upstate NY, not great in snow, but not horrible, however RUSTED a LOT! I'm not in love with this car, but I wasn't when I bought it. I wanted a little cheap car for lots of driving, got good mileage etc, and it filled my needs and was very reliable and fun.

Favorite Features

Good sound system, nice big windshield, good visibility, good gas mileage, nice sized trunk and fold down seats. Reliable, comfy for a small sedan.

Suggested Improvements

Move window controls from console, A/C- heat seemed to always be too hot or too cold, and blower didn't work as well at lower levels. Also, i have had complaints about location of passenger side seat belt.

Much better than expected!
By benswing

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

After 110,000 miles, 2 minor fender benders and loads of road trips I still love my first car. Even the SE engine has some pep with an upper engine mount and a K&N air filter. She is relatively quick off the line and gets me where I'm going with a touch of style. Not the cleanest lines in a car, but not a boring Civic/Camry/Escort/etc. Only issues in 8+ years has been a hose replacement, and the vibrations are more noticeable than I'd like, but not bad overall. I've been very pleased with the reliability, fun and comfort for the price.

Favorite Features

Extra torque thanks to easy engine mods, stereo has been solid, better handling after anti-sway bar was installed. With a little care this is a very solid car.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the stereo feature that increases volume at high speeds, redesign interior to look more classy less cheap.

mine
By green machine

2000 Pontiac Sunfire GT 2dr Coupe

Lots of small repairs but worth it. Steering is awesome but braking is ok.

Favorite Features

Cheap replacement parts

Suggested Improvements

Disk brakes all around. Better auto trans shifter

Best Car
By kthiesen

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car brand new, it currently has 175,000 miles. I have had one minor problem that cost 200 to fix. My car runs better than when I purchased it and it is capable of getting 35 miles/gallon on the interstate. This has been an excellent car for me, if I didn't need more room I would buy another one in an instant. The LCD display on my monsoon radio also went out on one side but that wasn't that big of a deal considering how many miles it has and how great it's been to have and drive!

Favorite Features

Monsoon package, sunroof, acceleration ability, gas mileage, size.

Suggested Improvements

LCD display shouldn't go out so quick. Wish it would accelerate on the interstate with the AC on, it can but it sounds like it's killing the car, I always shut it off then back on once I'm up to 80.

buyers beware
By konadh34

2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE 4dr Sedan

At first the sunfire was a great little car. Then it all came crashing down. Within 2 yrs. I had to replace the transmission and ignition switch (3 times I had to fix the switch, each time I was left in the middle of nowhere with an absolutely non functioning car). The ignition switch was a warranty recall yet every time it was "fixed" it broke down again! I've spent as much as I paid for this car on repairs, it is ridiculous. I was lucky enough to get rid of it for a trade in on a cherokee. For a commuter, it got decent gas mileage but when you're constantly worried about being left stranded god knows where, 100mpg couldn't make up for it. Do not buy this car!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

fix the body style, it looks god awful. The overall quality of this car is terrible, the only way to fix that is to quit making them.