2014 Nissan Sentra S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2014 Sentra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Sort Reviews by

Excellent ride.
By chuckv192

2014 Nissan Sentra SV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Okay. For all the people that complain about engine/transmission noise all the time I want to tell you that you are driving it wrong.If you floor the car of course its going to make noise. If you drive sensibly the car is extremely quiet and has an incredible ride. In terms of convenience hopping into this car and going from point A to point B is a delight. Getting in and out is effortless, there is ample headroom and the car is extremely spacious. I have not had any stuttering issues at 13,000 miles. The car hasn't had a single issue either. Fuel economy is great and the sport mode does make the car kind of fun. I never use Eco. I bought the car for 16,700 new.

Favorite Features

LED lights, Grown up styling, Premium cloth interior is gorgeous. I would buy this Sentra compared to the base Altima simply because the interior is that classy.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest should be bigger, More HP would be nice but the car cruises at highway speeds just fine and can speed up nicely.

Love it
By vlkins

2014 Nissan Sentra SV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I've had this car for almost 6 months. It has driven me back and forth from SC to Ohio no problem. I really like the sport mode, makes the acceleration comparable to my 04 Camry I had prior. Only downfall is the aforementioned rubber band effect with CVTs. It takes a second to accelerate and get where I need to be unless I floor it, which I really don't like to do. I've used eco mode and it's been fine, no issues. There were a few times when in sport mode that the RPMs stayed fairly high while decelerating. I've had no issues, great gas mileage and it's a beautiful car inside and out. For the money I paid, I'm very pleased and I got exactly what I expected for the price.

Favorite Features

Radio, display, LED lights, sports/eco mode and glove compartment space and floor lighting. Very spacious.

Suggested Improvements

More room for the center console, and a slightly better engine performance would be ideal.

Everything I Expected For $17,000.
By roadtester1

2014 Nissan Sentra SV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Sentra SV on 12/30/2014. After reviewing several other compact cars including Chevy, Ford, Toyota and VW as well visiting various websites including Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, IIHS - Insurance Institute for Hwy Safety and the Department of Transportation 1-4 star crash test ratings buying the Sentra was an easy decision. I watched several videos of both expert and not so expert reviews. Take all reviews with a grain of salt as everyone expects a vehicle priced under $20k to perform like a BMW or Benz. Let's be real about this.

Favorite Features

Quiet refined cabin with soft materials used on the dash, side door and arm rest as well as steering wheel controls etc. Comfortable seats and ride with lots of leg and head room with a huge trunk. Smooth ride and handling matted to a CVT transmission which provides great mileage and no gears with a sport and econo mode. Great for climbing hills and mountain roads.

Suggested Improvements

1). Add the sliding center arm rest to all models which will enhance comfort that much more. The cost has to be minimal. While doing so add top center counsel storage as well as the deeper bottom storage. 2). Refine the glove box door so that the hinges provide items from slipping through the sides. Meaning add a wall or solid piece to the hinge. 3). Add Bluetooth as a standard feature on all SV models and above. The competition does this. And at a cost of $400 as an after market add on, this is a no brainer as even the base model Nissan Versa includes BT. 4). Add a rearview camera to all models but especially the SV and above models as well as a rear passenger 12-volt outlet.

Great experience
By tcapp

2014 Nissan Sentra S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I recently purchased a 2014 Sentra an it has been a pleasure to drive! The interior is stylish and spacious and I like the trunk space. As for the acceleration, I think it is quite good (better) when compared to other similar vehicles I test drove (e.g. Corolla, civic). The sport mode really helps in the acceleration and it actually surprised me after driving other comparable cars. Also, I get a lot of complements on the new exterior look and sighs of envy from others when they see the MPGs. The CVT has been great and I have had no issues with it. It runs great on the highway and in town. This is my third new car and I am very happy with my purchase.

Favorite Features

Looks, mpgs, and space

Poor engine choice by Nissan
By donp9

2014 Nissan Sentra SR 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased this car about a month ago. Had only driven 200 kilometers when I noticed a loud noise and vibration from the transmission. Turns out it needed a new torque converter. Replaced by the dealer however I still notice the vibrations others have mentioned (juddering stuttering) especially in normal mode when driving at 20 to 80 kilometers an hour. Most annoying as is the constant buzz at any speed. I only drive in sport mode now as it reduces the vibrations due to the engine revving higher. The problem is that the car is underpowered. They should have left the 2.0L My 2008 Sentra has no vibrations whatsoever at any speed with the 2.0L. Piece of junk - avoid buying this car!!!

Favorite Features

The interior is OK

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the option of either the 1.8L, 2.0L or 2.5L in this car

drifts and pull
By ardic

2014 Nissan Sentra SL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

poor engine power, horrible cvt trany. 2000 mile onVehicle drift and pull on windy days so bad hard to keep on center line or the road. milage 3800 on the vehicle and transmission fells like slips on up hill driving from stop and go. millage 4000 vehicle stall and almost shuts down when almost stop on braking. Horrible customer service provided by Nissan and he dealer.

Worst Decision Ever
By never_again10

2014 Nissan Sentra SR 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this 2014 Sentra SR a few months back and within minutes of leaving the dealership I noticed the Shutter/Shudder/Jutter whatever you want to call it. 3 Nissan Dealerships and 200+ technician driven miles later and they still can't come up with a fix. I contacted Nissan North America about a month ago and have been going back and forth with the rudest, most incompetent customer service agents ever. Not only are they impolite and discourteous, but they actually have the nerve to talk down to you like you're some kind of idiot. Anyways, I'll keep everyone here in the loop as this process plays out. In the meantime, AVOID NISSAN LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Favorite Features

Sharp Design / Large Interior / Decent Drive

Suggested Improvements

Nissan needs to acknowledge it's mistake and come up with a solution before an innocent person is killed in one of these vehicles. None of us are sure of what's going on behind closed doors at Nissan or if this vehicle is even safe to drive. For all we know this vehicle could be a death trap waiting to him. Unfortunately, It seems that Nissan is waiting for a fatality and a lawsuit before they address this problem.

Go to another brand, any other brand!
By objon

2014 Nissan Sentra SR 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Have had this car for almost three months and I regret that decision every day. This car is doing the juttering that has been described by other reviewers. The standard line from the dealer is that it is designed to do that. Can't imagine why a manufacturer designed a transmission to vibrate. The icing on the cake is a leaky sunroof. Not talking about leaking in a carwash, this thing leaks whenever it rains. Once again, the dealer says that it is working as designed. The car "quality" is suspect and the service department is a joke. Avoid this car!

Favorite Features

Lots of features, some of them work!

Suggested Improvements

Admit there is a transmission problem and fix it!

So far we like it
By steveh552

2014 Nissan Sentra S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

This is my first brand new car so maybe I am biased but we like our 2014 Sentra. I bought the car April 29 2014 and have driven nearly 2500 miles in a month. Not much road noise, it gets up to speed and cruises just fine, great MPG and I find it comfortable. I have read people complain about the car being underpowered but if you test drove it before buying it, you knew what you were getting. Driving around 100 miles round trip per day all highway and its great.

Favorite Features

MPG being about 42 on the highway Accent lights Ice cold A/C Lots of room for everyone Large Trunk

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control and bluetooth on the S model would be great. I paid $400 to put aftermarket cruise on it as I drive 100 mile a day round trip for work.

Avoid like the plague!
By 1angryconsumer

2014 Nissan Sentra SR 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this car about 3 months ago. When I test drove it I didn't notice anything unusual. But after about a week of driving I noticed the car starts to "shudder" when slowing down to a stop or creeping in traffic. Every day, every time. It will keep it up until you either stop or accelerate. The CVT operates at two levels for 2014, basically Low and Drive. It's not dropping out of Drive to Low, causing terrible shuddering in the CVT. Nissan calls it "Juttering." So it's a known issue! I've been to the dealer 3X. Nissan Corporate Consumer and Regional Techs have been involved and say it's "normal." Really? That's BS, inexcusable and very poor engineering. This CVT is a disaster! AVOID

Favorite Features

Nice styling, nice wheels, very quiet interior, good mpg, short turning radius

Suggested Improvements

Change the software so it downshifts sooner!