Used 1998 Mercury Mystique Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercury Mystique - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mercury Mystique

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:

Excellent car to own
By PJM

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car brand new and now more then 10 years later, I am as pleased with my car as the day I bought. This has been the best car I have ever bought. I highly recommend it.

I like it all.

A little bit more space to back seat passengers.

Reliable Car
By no-mistakin mystique

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

4cyl GS. Had to write a positive review after reading many of the others. Bought the car in 2002 with 40000, and so far has far outlasted my expectations. After 187,000 miles, this car is running great. I have changed 2 water pumps, 1 timing belt, 1 thermostat, and 1 blinker switch. For the money, this is the best car I have ever owned. Changed oil every 5k and Tranny fluid every 30K. Follow the recommended service items and problems should be minimal. Granted, I dont get any double-takes from the ladies here, but for everyday transportation, it has been great.

Handling is great for the calibre of this car. Mileage for the 4 is around 30 at 75.

Car is out of production, but reliability should be one of Fords long term goals. I might have gotten lucky with this Mystique.

Great Little Car
By soccertaz

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new, have taken good care of it for the most part. It has had a lot of recalls, but they were little things and didn't take the dealership long to take care of them. I have had little problems with the car, had to have the AC redone, only have replaced the front brakes twice, and am currently having the back brakes done too, which isn't a necessity yet, but thought it was time to do it since the front ones needed new pads. I have found it is great in the snow, I have done better with it than people that own trucks. It is one of the best cars I have had and/or driven in my life. I have heard it called the "Mistake", but so far it hasn't been one for me.

The comfortable seats for long trips, easy to handle, accelerates very well, handles in rain or snow, gets excellent gas mileage, great sound system too.

Stronger trunk release, that is if they ever brought the Mystiques back.

This Car Is the "Mercury MISTAKE"
By Chris

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

My LS Mystique (Mistake)has been nothing but a problem from the beginning. The transmission was replaced before the car was even three years old. The original paint job began to crack at less than three years and had to be repainted. The dealer installed premium 6 disc CD changer and premium speakers have had excessive mechanical difficulties. The list of constant repairs has been going on from the beginning. I will never buy a Mercury again and for that matter will never buy an American car again. I will most certainly be buying a Toyota for my next vehicle.

Mercury needs to improve the overall craftsmanship with better quality parts and greater attention to every detail.

Excellent in V6 manual
By Fibbo

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

Fun to drive, great handling and acceleration for its price. Only cons are, gas mileage isn't great and fifth gear revs pretty high in highway driving (adds to fuel economy problem). Also the front cup holders are poorly designed. Wheel bearing problem around 100,000km was the only big repair.

Torque from the V6 engine, McPherson Struts, Comfortable driving seat.

different gear ratio for 5th gear or add a 6th gear for highway driving