1998 Mercury Mystique - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mystique model:
By ptrybk on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 15,000 miles on it 3.5 years ago and today it is junk. It was a constant nightmare. The timing belt, sensors, struts, spoiler, overhead interior lights, broken power windows, and numerous other electrical problems ended up costing a fortune in repairs. Last week cracked gaskets enabled antifreeze to leak into the oil, which totally destroyed the engine. For a car with slightly less than 90,000 miles on it (that has been regularly serviced throughout the years), it ended up being a major disaster. PLEASE think twice if you are considering the "Mistake" as my friends have come to call it.

Geatest car ever designed
By mikecosta on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

If you want a quality automobile i suggest that you go ahead and get two.

98 Mercury Mystique Sport
By MystiqueSport98 on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I got my Mystique in Aug 2000. It had 14K miles. Since then it has been 100% reliable and a joy to drive. It currently has 60K miles & the only mechanical problem was when the O2 & fuel sensors had to be replaced Sept 03. I drove it through the worst road conditions I have seen in Jan 02. 12 hours to travel 400 miles, counted 38 accidents, but my car didn't slide once. Had a bad accident with my beloved car last Wed and it may be totaled, but it saved me and I was able to walk away.

My Mystique
By JKelly on 09/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I love my mystique. We bought it new, it has about 96,000 miles on it, and we have had no majorproblems with it

Good car
By Musicman on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was a year and half old. It gets great gas mileage, looks good, handles well and is fun to drive. Good reliability too!

Never Again
By shortntall on 07/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I fell in love with the looks of the sporty LS with the alloy wheels and spolier. The V-6 was very peppy and it handled suprisingly well. But my pleasure has not lasted long. My disappointment started off with samll things. First my head lamp brackets cracked. Light in my dash burnt out. My dome light fell out. os2 censor went out. Water pump went out. Cellunoid on the transmission went out. Then the whole transmission went out. The only thing that hasnt went wrong is the muffler bearings and blinker fluid. All this before I reached 100,000 miles. I still love the looks of the car and the performance. But it has cost me a bundle to keep up.

Cool Car
By Sara23 on 06/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique GS 4dr Sedan

I have had my car almost a year. It is a great car to have. Especially when caring around friends or your little brother and his friends. It is kind of though a good family car not so much for a teenager. It is great though for a 16 year old that is just starting to drive. It is a great car. It runs great with almost 80,000 miles.

mercury mystique
By lorraine yeager on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

does a good job on the expressways. It also performs well under other driving conditions. Makes you feel in control.

I Like my Mystique
By Fred.P on 04/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I got this car brand new. I have had no major problems with it. I think the 2.5 liter V6 is really peppy. The premium sound with single cd is great. I like the rear spoiler. The ride is a bit stiff but the handling is good. The paint is really holding up well with a zymol wax once a year.

Please Don't Buy
By kdub198 on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mystique LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new not knowing that Ford likes to make inferior brake rotors that tend to warp quickly. I had many problems with the car as soon as the warranty ran out. How convenient. I had to replace the break twice in 65K miles due to warped rotors (which can't be turned). The wheel cylinder sprung a leak the power steering pump leaked dry, plus all the recalls. Amazingly, I always had great service from all of the dealerships that I had to visit. The V6 is a must, but nowadays smaller engines do just as well and don't suck down the gas. Leather is nice if you don't live in Vegas. It's probably a good thing that ford discontinued the mystique.