Used 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Fun to drive
By RA

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Needed something small and economical, without being a lame ride. Looked at corolla, and sentra. By far the Mazda 3 has the looks and the performance. Fun to drive, very quick. Not so fuel efficient only getting about 21 combined. Excellent handling.

The triptronic transmission, stability control. The looks. 2.3 engine.

Can't install splash guards with the side body kit. Cabin very noisy on hwy. Center arm rest to far back. Huge blind spot.

An Excellent Car for a Surprising Price
By TexasGuyJD

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This car has many refined features and amenities of much more expensive cars. I would much rather drive it than my mom's pristine Lexus. This car is nimble, versatile with the back hatch, fold downs, and comfortable. I get compliments all the time on it. It is Metropolitan Grey Mica; sun/moon roof, heated power seats, Bose stereo independent suspension and a computer for about anything you can thing of, this thing just ROCKS. It is plenty quick and comfy at 85+ on the expressway if that's your bag. I stayed away from the turbo charger because the dealer in my home town wasn't certified to work on them, so I didn't want to chance it. I get 30+ M mixed driving! The AT, with manual mode is fun.

Looks good. Runs good. Excellent value.
By Bestdaddyo

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I like driving this car, even though I generally dislike automatic transmissions. I bought this mainly for my daughter, but she's away at college 7 months out of the year, so I get to drive it often. It shifts smoothly and quietly. Has plenty of quickness and power, and doesn't feel too small, like the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa and Scion xD. Excellent steering/handling. Plus, the gas mileage is pretty decent. I drive 90% city, and average 26.2 mpg. Road noise is a little high, but not a big distraction. It has every comfort and convenience feature one could ask for, yet the price is ridiculously low. Heck, in a BMW, you could spend the price of this car in accessories alone!

The leather steering wheel and heated leather seats. The iPod aux. jack & power outlet in the center console. The decent stock stereo with steering wheel controls. The xenon auto headlights & auto wipers. The excellent gas mileage. The nice stock wheels & tires. It looks expensive!

Use better carpeting. A little more sound proofing. Turn the speedometer markings 90 degrees clockwise, it's weird having 60 mph at the 9 o'clock mark.

Love this car!
By Chris

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Traded in my 2003 Mustang GT convertible for this vehicle and I must say I love this car. Even with going from 8 cyl down to 4, I still get plenty of power and pickup from this car, especially from a stop. Ride is great, very quiet and tight. Bose stereo system is very nice as well. This is a great car for someone looking to get a small car, but still wants to spend a little money for comforts and options (auto lights and wipers are cool!). The only "complaint" is the somewhat low MPG for such a small vehicle. I have been averaging 26-28 MPG combined according to the onboard computer (if I calculate it the old fashioned way, I estimate 28-30 MPG).

Stereo, performance, auto wipers/headlights.

Improved MPG, trunk is just a hair small (hard to fit even a set of golf clubs), doors won't lock with remote until they are all closed, need to separate clock from computer so I can have MPG and clock up at the same time.

2008 Mazda 3 S Touring 5dr 2.3L Manual
By jfahl

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded my beloved 04 Toyota 4Runner SR (V8 4WD) for the Mazda 3 and really though I would miss it. It's only been a short-time but so far the 3 has been so much fun to drive that I haven't missed the big SUV. With 31 Cu Ft of cargo space (seats folded down) I should be able to transport my kids back and forth to college with ease. So far I have been saving ($4.20 per gallon) $36 per week on fuel.

Everything... sunroof, stereo controls on steering wheel, storage compartments and cargo space. My three teenagers can sit in the back seat and are not crammed in.

Remote hatchback release. Instant fuel economy / distance to empty display