Used 2012 Mazda CX-7 i Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda CX-7 SUV

View reviews for a specific CX-7 model:

Zoom-clunk-Zoom
By l0vedriving

2012 Mazda CX-7 SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I love the car. Hate the reliability. Every year when it turns spring, my A/C has a relay go bad causing A/C to fail. Not to mention the A/C is at best weak. The A/C drain gets clogged multiple times during the year leaking a small pond into my floor board. A few dash lights were fixed under warranty and now out again, out of warranty. Red on the clear tail lights is going white for some reason. Car makes a giant clunk when it is started when the fan engages, Mazda says its normal. Glitchy at best blue-tooth and audio streaming. The car always gets compliments, I just wish it was as reliable as it looks. I have black with chrome door handles and trim. I thought Mazda was reliable WAS WRONG.

Favorite Features

I love my sunroof, heated seats, rear view camera and the over-all look of the car. I purchased new and now has 98K on it. I have had problems since It went out of warranty at 30k. The running boards installed from mazda come in handy loading the roof rack with my bikes. I also had mazda replace the halogen interior light bulbs with LED bulbs. FAR better than the standard crappy ones. Also purchased and installed a wood trim kit inside. Gorgeous, but everything I love was mostly add-ons that to me should've came standard. Also has the remote start option, but i loathe having a huge key and a remote start key fob It makes my keys rather bulky. There are far better cars out there.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability is 2 out 5 stars at best. There is always some little thing going wrong with this car and it definitely adds up! There are multiple things they know are wrong with their vehicles but refuse to stand behind their product. 4 cylinder struggles when the car is loaded with four adults. Back seat room for my child is poor. Awkward loading area for the trunk. Large taller objects would fit if the opening wasn't so tight. POOR gas MPG because the four cylinder has to overwork. Tires are hard to find because of odd alloy size. Rear view camera screen is not the greatest at night or when the sun is on it. Do not buy mazda. Read all of forums for mazda vehicles. Its fun to drive. sometimes

Second and last Mazda purchase ever.
By autobsessed

2012 Mazda CX-7 SUV i Sport 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased the CX-7 in early 2012 new. My first Mazda vehicle was a Mazda 3 Grand touring purchased new in 2008. My 3 had the exact same issues I am having with my CX-7 now. The Computer resets itself and often. Mazda can never identify the problem. Car kills batteries. They have no idea why? Headlight issues, Low beams burn out often. I buy new bulbs every two months on average in pairs because they go out within a week of each other. Short in both headlights as well. Mazda doesn't care. A/C issues; drains often got clogged leaking water causing puddles all the way to the rear seat. Failing A/C compressor mult. times. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't. Way too many problems.

Favorite Features

Phone pairing and audio streaming. Although sometimes it glitches and puts my audio streaming through the phone (sounds like I'm on hold with a phone tree for a business on my cell phone.) and wont fix itself or let me switch to the regular radio, cd's or satelite radio until the car is restarted. Sunroof when the computer remembers I have one. My roof rack is my favorite because it is the only thing dependable and sturdy about this car. My absolute favorite is that this car is about to be paid off and I can trade it in to get rid of it soon!

Suggested Improvements

Mazda could improve customer service at their dealerships. A few more problems to be aware of; My Tail lights inside were melting because the stock bulbs were too hot for the red plastic coating. Other people I know have had many VVT problems, I have not, yet anyway. Multiple dash lights are out. All of my problems had loopholes that were magically not covered under warranty. Trunk space can be awkward with large/tall objects Paint chipping off steering wheel audio controls and other daily touched interior objects aging poorly. I take care of my vehicles. I wash and detail by hand twice a month All maintenance is done on time. This vehicle is three years old and acts like it's ten years old.