Used 2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Wrangler - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV

View reviews for a specific Wrangler model:

Muffler Gone Bad
By TamiW

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased 08 Wrangler 2 weeks ago. Own a 94 and wanted a new one for once. Absolute blast to drive. Very disappointed with the muffler. Two weeks old and 500 miles later it's a rusted mess and Chrysler won't do anything about it. Do they actually want me to drive around and advertise for them? Why would I want to purchase another one? What are my options? Why should I have to replace the muffler and will I have to every two weeks I own it?

Favorite Features

removable tops

Suggested Improvements

Muffler

Wrangler; I'm back!
By Butler Jeeper

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Sahara 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Traded in my Mustang convert in order to get back into a Wrangler. This is my third one and they just keep getting better. Sahara has the perfect trim level for cruising. The 18" wheels and Dueler A/T tires can take you anywhere. Plenty of power and acceleration for freeway cruising. The 6-speed shifts so smoothly! No complaints about gas mileage. The trip computer consistently shows I'm getting just over 23 mpg average per tankful (30/70 city/highway). Almost 6000 miles and not a problem. This vehicle gets a lot of looks. Can't wait for Camp Jeep 2009!

Favorite Features

6 speed manual transmission. Jeep Green with Khaki interior and top. The big wheels and tires as stock equipment. The "Wave". Driving with the top down!

Suggested Improvements

Give me two inches more seat adjustment (I'm 6'2"). Bring back the slide and tip-forward front seats for easier rear seat entry.

2nd wrangler
By RC

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV X 2dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

I had a 1997 wrangler soft top w/ a 4 cyl and I loved it. Finally drove it into the ground so I bought a 2008 x. Coming from a 4 cyl to the new v6 I don't have a problem with the power that many ofter people seem to. The 2008 has power everything, 6 speaker stereo system, a 3 piece freedom top. It's a huge step forward over my old Jeep and I love it. The only thing I don't like as much as my old Jeep is the fact that the passenger seat does not roll forward like my old Jeep did which makes it harder to get into the back seat.

Favorite Features

Unique style, removal top, great off road/ bad weather driver.

Suggested Improvements

got back to the folding passenger front seat frame.

Brand spanking new Rubicon in shop 3x
By maynard

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

Alright so my husband talked me into this vehicle and heck it is fun to drive, when it actually works. I have less than 4000 miles and already the jeep has been to the shop 3 times due to all the indicator lights coming on and the gauges not working (speedometer, rpm) while I was driving. Then once you turn the car off, it won't start. I have called the customer service department and they expect you to keep running it back and forth to the shop to get it fixed while you are paying your car note and insurance.I am hoping that this will be resolved but I have to say be weary to those who are interested in this vehicle. anyone else with this issue?

Favorite Features

none now, i just want the thing to work right.

Suggested Improvements

Jeep Chrysler, you need to stand by your products.

The Rubicon That Replaced the Minivan
By Rex Johnson

2008 Jeep Wrangler SUV Unlimited Rubicon 4dr SUV 4WD (3.8L 6cyl 6M)

We are a family of five and most people with a penchant for traveling and camping would have opted for a Caravan or SUV offering a little more space. We were being pushed towards a Durango, but insisted that we go with the Jeep. We had a Jeep Cherokee in the past and missed her greatly and with the new four-door option, it was a no brainer. We grabbed the 08 Unlimited Rubicon and we are not sorry. After logging over 23,000 km on our Jeep green machine, we are definitely considering it to be a "Ruby". We travel between Ontario and B.C. through all types of weather and this vehicle has saved our skins countless times. With it's ESP and 4x4 overkill. It is the ultimate family ride!

Favorite Features

ESP and the lockers. Haven't used the sway bar disconnect that much as I haven't needed to. Tried to get stuck but can't!

Suggested Improvements

I would put in the 3.0 CDR in a heartbeat. The new 4.7 would be good too but might be a bit thirsty. I would definitely put more padding in the seats and add two inches to the stretch of the vehicle. Please drop the plastic bumpers and go with some ARB-like bumpers.Improve fenders and windshield.