2014 BMW i3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 BMW i3

View reviews for a specific i3 model:

Charging Issues
By bigv2

2014 BMW i3 4dr Hatchback w/Range Extender (electric DD)

First, the good: Averages about 80 miles/charge, 3,000 miles on 1/4 gallon of gas. Now the bad: charging faults when using delayed charge program after 2 months, took in for service, and was told there was a "customer satisfaction bulletin" posted that involved new hardware and programming. Five days later the parts were installed, but charging fault still existed. Returned to dealer for another week, this time got a loaner car. Service department said faults were cleared, and the problem was caused by my using a level 2 charger for our Chevy Volt, rather than the BMW charger...although it worked fine for two months! Delayed charging with the Volt charger is working after the second service.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, very efficient, good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Very jerky steering, especially on the freeway. Skinny tires tend to wander on the highway grooves. Can't put the windows down on the back doors. The transmission shifter is backwards from any other car.

Tires worn out in less than 3 Months /2000 miles
By mohini15

2014 BMW i3 4dr Hatchback w/Range Extender (electric DD)

I was shocked when I looked at the tires of my new I3 that I bought two and a half months back. Rear tires have lost their tread completely. I mean completely that the steel wires are showing. The car had been wobbling and shaky from day 1 even at 25-40 mph speed . Took it to the dealership and they said it has small tires and this is usual. My other friends who have this car had the same tire experience in 6 months. I am totally distraught with I3 experience .

Favorite Features

Quiet Kids find it a cool looking car..

Suggested Improvements

*Very Flimsy car. *Back door design is very inconvenient. *I have gone on range extender for a short distance only twice but you can hear a lot of noise, as if engine will collapse. So always reluctant to drive on RE.

Most efficient EV in the market
By chchoi

2014 BMW i3 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

i3 is the most efficient in current market. It is the lightest EV (thanks to CFRP). I can get 4mi/kWh easily. Battery is 22kwh, but only drive able with 19Wh. VW eGolf is nice, but you can't compare acceleration to an i3. MB B Class is just too heavy and it does not have DC FC option. In comfort mode, you can drive it as an ultimate driving machine. In Eco Pro or Eco Pro +, you can drive it with efficiency. You need to plan ahead for long trip. I have 1300 miles in a month and total cost to charge is $25. (There are some free charging stations). There is no gasoline Tax.

Favorite Features

Acceleration: smooth and instant. ACC: Love it when driving in car pool lane. I can maintain speed in safe distance and stop the car if needed. Self parking: it can parallel park on its own without human intervention. DCFC: it can charge up to 80% in 30 mins. Very little energy used when stuck in traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Not able to display SOC in car. Only in iRemote. The Frunk is not water seal. If you have 2014, make sure you have updated KLE so you can charge at 7.4kWh.

Driving a Spaceship
By ashumack

2014 BMW i3 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I have the base model without range extender, but this is my commuter car around the city with chargers on each end. It's not practical for a weekend trip outside the range unless you plan your travels in stages with 2+ hours in between for recharging, but I love this car for commuting to and from work (32 miles each way). It's a funky, awesome exterior and the interior build quality is eco-luxury. I love the carbon fiber details and the eco-leather on the seats. The accent lighting makes me feel like I'm driving a spaceship. Also I love how BMW is really into the electric car movement by creating new manufacturing and technology to build them. It's not just a compliance car here!!!

Favorite Features

Silent and spirited driving, exterior design, roomy and futuristic interior, driving past gas stations, computerized parallel parking assistant.

Suggested Improvements

Better nav and dash software. Would love integration with CarPlay or Google Auto. Longer range for weekend trips.

Its a BMW and an EV!
By scottlawson

2014 BMW i3 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I have driven BMWs for 10+ years and this all-electric BMW lives up to the ultimate driving machine claim. It is sporty and solid and handles the road like my 328i. It is filled with high technology with a large screen for nav, music, apps, and information. The construction is solid and the carbon fiber and all-aluminum construction makes the car safe and rust-free. Bodywork is actually less costly than a steel car. This is not for long trips as the practical range in temperate weather is 80-90 miles. But get the DC fast charge option as that has helped me go 300+ miles at times.

Favorite Features

3G internet included, one-pedal driving (strong regeneration), quick acceleration, interior look and feel. I really like the "iDrive" controls for the functions. Some people like a touch screen, but I think those are not safe. BMW does a great job putting all controls in reach and easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

More range is always good! Some people want to seat 5, but I do not need that. Automatic Cruise Control (tractor beam driving!) sometime drops out because of low sun or shadows.