Used 2014 BMW i3 Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific i3 model:

Ok car
By Steki Car

2014 BMW i3 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

8 months and 7700 miles so far. It runs ok. Driving it on deep snow is a huge challenge. Almost impossible to control it. 80 miles in summer and around 60 miles in winter on one charge. Installed 240V, 32Amp, ClipperCreek charger. No problems at all, charges the car within 3.5 hours from empty to full.
Got it for 280/month with taxes for 12k miles per year. Car is not worth a cent over this price for lease. Already have uneven tire wear. More significant on rear than on front tires. I did not expect tires to last 60k miles but at least 20-25k miles. Stealership stated it is a "normal" tire wear. I almost expected them to offer me a lifetime oil change on this car, that is how knowledgeable they are. Wonder if they know any better ...

19 Months and Lovin' It!
By John Gerondelis

2014 BMW i3 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

After reading some of the other reviews, I needed to speak up - it appears that either the purchasers did not research the car, or they are exaggerating. I have a BEV - no gas engine. I have driven the car more than 17,000 miles in the past 19 months. In that time, I have not had the car require service - there is nothing that goes wrong. Very simple. I will say that it is a city car - do not buy it if you are hauling a group of folks around the country. I have a Level 2 charger at home ($600 to $1,200 depending on the location and access of your service) - DOES NOT NEED TO BE A BMW-Branded charger (as some might make you believe). Never has taken more than 3-1/2 hours to charge (it will take 20 hours with a standard 120 volt plug). This is a perfect, quick, nimble ride. I love it! I traded a 535xi SW for this (which is a very different car). My other cars are a 325i and a Mini Cooper S. Recommend doing the overnight test drive offered by BMW if you are serious.

BUGGY
By James

2014 BMW i3 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

do not BUY, car is very buggy. Will get warning lights every mnth, Engine light 4 times !
lots of flat tires reported
Tires are expensive.
Handling is like a golf cart

I3 the electrical failure
By Enrique Llanso

2014 BMW i3 4dr Hatchback w/Range Extender (electric DD)

Has abundant of electrical issues. Especially with the drive train. The vehicle went to the shop for over four times within a 50 day span and has yet to be resolved. My I3 is a LEMON.

Horrible experience -returned in one day!
By BH

2014 BMW i3 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

We purchased this car, I loved the look and everything about it. We were told it would charge over nite in our garage. When we got it home the car showed it wouldn't be charged for 20 hours. Then it runs for about 100 miles on that charge. The BMW chargers are about $6,000 and then it is a shorter charge time. After paying $60,000 for a car we didn't want to spend that.
Other chargers can screw up the system. We returned the car and on the way back to the dealership at 45 miles an hour trying to reserve the power to get there, a tire blew out and completely shredded so there was no tire left. After you pay top dollar for the car there are thousands of dollars of upgrades and insurances.
Be sure to pay for the tire insurance, they insisted we would need it because of the low profile of the tires they don't last very long but we never dreamed one would blow out the first day we had the car. Wasted two days and will never buy an electric car after this!