Used 2004 Lexus LS 430 Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used LS 430 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Initial Impressions with Used LS430

new2lexus2, 01/31/2011
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Finally decided to treat ourselves to some luxury and research led us to the Lexus LS...test driving lead us to the 2004 LS430 we recently purchased. At 92,500 miles, and timing belt service just done, we felt this was a bargain luxury vehicle. Initial driving impression has been WoW! Car does have the often reported passenger side-view mirror problem, but that is easily worked around. We opted for the base model with some extras as opposed to the luxury model (we did test drive one). Since our desire was for a vacation and special occasion road car (instead of our 2001 RX300), we wanted the larger trunk. Still plenty of amenities to make it a true pleasure to drive and ride thus far.

Land Yacht

impressive, 07/13/2010
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Bought a 2004 LS 430 used. BEST car I've ever driven, PERIOD. the engine is smooth, the ride is effortless and getting over 28 mpg on the highway with power to spare. Could not be any happier with this car.

Low cost flagship vehicle

LexusOwner, 03/25/2018
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

The ls430 has been the best and most reliable car I’ve purchased and I bought it with 110k miles. These cars can handle upwards to 300k miles with little maintenance. The car is extremely quite and comfortable and still carries its king of road feel. It was well ahead of its time with its technology and you won’t feel you’re driving a 14 year old car. People will think you’re driving an expensive car but little do they know they cost less than a Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. Why buy one of those tin cab cars when you can buy a flagship car?

Peter Doyle, 10/23/2016
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Bluetooth accepts calls but initiation of calls is best done by smartphone. Initiation of calls is difficult with the automobile system. Once placed you talk over the car system. The Bluetooth will not stream your music but you can buy A thingamabob and have it installed and then you can stream from your phone. This isn't a complaint; it is just a statement about 17-year-old technology. The rest of everything about the car is terrific! Very, very advanced for 2004 This is an update after owning the car for 4 years. It is the best car I have ever owned; it has been 100% trouble free; and I paid the least for it of any car I have ever owned! This year I rebuilt the front end ($1100) and it’s tight like when it was new. About a year ago the amplifier went bad And I had it rebuilt. I haven’t had any other problems. I still love the car I would not even consider getting rid of it.

Absolute Perfection

buckeye30, 01/19/2014
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

After I paid of the student loans, I wanted to treat myself with something very special. Though some people called me an old man for choosing LS-430, I didn't care, and WOW. I am mean WOW. This car exceeds all my high engineering expectations, and redefines the definitions of luxury, reliability, fit & finish, and high quality. I don't even know where to start from, but all I can say I am very lucky to be owner of such a magnificent car. It is truly an engineering masterpiece. It takes awhile to understand what a special car it is, and after driving it for some time, you forget how special it is until you drive other cars, or people compliment you.

Best car I have ever owned

JW, 03/05/2009
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

We bought this LS430 with 6000 miles on it. The car has been flawless ever since. All we have to do is the standard maintenance and that is it. Fuel economy is good for a large car with up to 26 mpg on trips. Ride quality and comfort are excellent for a large sedan. The powertrain is powerful and quiet.

From Japan to Germany and back again!

lexdog71, 09/07/2013
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I had a 1990 LS 400 back when the car first came out, late '89 to 1992. I dropped it, put sweet fat 5-star chrome rims on it and triple-limo tinted all the windows -- burgundy metallic on burgundy leather. That car was 240hp of undeniable quality and perfection. I got a comment everywhere I went; everyone loved that car. I'd take it to Vegas at 130mph like it was nothing! Put 70,000 miles on it in three years and seven years later, I took one in on trade (I was a dealer then) with 280,000 on it -- a black one -- and it started up without a puff and drove like a brand new car!! I've driven an Audi TT quattro cabriolet, a Mercedes S420, 300 SEL, and BMW 540i -- nothing compares to a Lexus LS!

The best of the best!

Margi King, 11/13/2004
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is absolutely the ultimate in driving! I have driven all types of luxury, large sedans and this car so far outclasses any I've ever had. Lexus has made it impossible to drive any other car without feeling a "step- down". it's a feeling of having finally "arrived."

Perfection++++++++

Mike Dennis, 03/19/2019
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this LS 430 in October 2018. Had only 42K and well maintained. It was a one owner vehicle. I have owned 30+ vehicles in the past ,various makes and none...NONE have been this close to perfection. This car is superb in every way. Fifteen years old and it is still basically new in/ out...primarily due to the construction and Lexus commitment to car design and reliability. They made a flagship for ALL other luxury vehicles. Bar None. Wonderful to drive- so quite..I have actually got out and walked away ...the car beeped and I realized it was still on! Fit and finish excellent. It still is way ahead of its time even by today's standards! I love it and my suggestion is ...buy one you will never return to anything else! Now at 48k and 1.1 years...no maintenance except oil change and a cabin filter. Drove it to Canada ...better mileage the faster I went?! Only issue sub stopped working...seems that's a issue as speakers get old. Otherwise very 😊 happy.

"Conservative, Reliable Luxury"

Murphy 2010, 07/09/2010
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned and driven many cars in my life from cheap to expensive and I can honestly say that the 2004 Lexus LS430 that I currently have surpasses them all. The car is big but it handles very well and it is very quiet and luxurious and unlike other expensive cars like BMW and Mercedes the Lexus is very reliable so you are not constantly in the shop getting things repaired. The car also is not bad on gas when you compare it to other V-8's and even some V-6's. I also like the fact that although the car is very luxurious it is not ostentatious(flashy)because I am conservative and do not like a lot of attention. Lastly I had heard that Lexus Customer service was outstanding and it is.

True Luxury, Great Road Car

WilliamR, 11/21/2008
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Everything one would expect from Lexus: the cabin is quiet and surrounds one in understated by unmistakable luxury. Very quick at all speeds and excellent braking. Cornering is OK, but this is not a "driver's" car. It is, however, outstanding on the freeway and on long trips and comfortable and capable if not exciting around town. GREAT highway passing ability. My actual highway mileage is 25+ mpg -- and I don't drive 55. In town, expect 15-17 depending on mix and how heavy one's foot is. The Mark Levinson sound system is magnificent. Back seat comfort is arguably better than the front seat. The shifter is extremely nice and can enhance driving experience and reduce brake wear.

Wow!!!

Happy C, 10/05/2004
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have been a loyal BMW customer for 15 years. I never thought I would own a different car. But we decided to check out the lexus because of all the problems with the 7 series. Once we test drove the LS 430 we were sold. We purchased the Ultra Luxury edition and it is chopped full of amenities. We Love it. The ride is luxurious and very quiet. Hats off to Lexus on this one. It does not have the handling of a BMW, but, I haven't missed anything. I highly recommend this car to anyone who desires a smooth, richly appointed luxury automobile it is worth it. Look out Germany Lexus is pushing the envelope!!

2004 Lexus Great Car

Larry, 05/08/2017

Dependable, low maintenance and very comfortable even for a 2004 model

Wow

Greg Hoyle, 10/15/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in my 2001 LS430, and just love the new version. Lots of nice touched, great ride and I love the Smart Key!

Nnothing Compares to the LS430

JWW, 03/24/2006
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is a truly superb vehicle in design, performance and reliability. It is our 3rd Lexus and it is hard to get my wife to let me use it. The seats are fantastic. This is an outstanding highway cruiser with outstanding fuel economy and comfort. We will buy another Lexus when we replace this one.

Our worst new car

thedriscolls, 05/14/2005
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

This car has been a problem since we first bought it. Every temperature change causes the low tire presure light to come on and can only be reset by Lexus. The transmission was replaced by a recall notice as well as the fuel pump! Last month the switches in the drivers doors stopped working, it took Lexus 4 business days to replace it. By the way Lexus still does not have a software fix for the low tire presure light, so come fall we have to return to Lexus to reset it. Our next car is going to be a Toyota Avalon.

Jeff's LS 430 comment

Jeff Nelson, 09/09/2006
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

The ride is incredibly quiet. It is pure comfort. The design is elegant and the car a pleasure to drive. I believe the car has a very distinctive look and is by far the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned.

Well well well

MSH, 09/09/2008
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I had to make this post because the last review was over two years ago. I burn through cars being a sales rep. I try to purchase them at least 2 years old so that I don't take the depreciation hit so hard. Looking for reliability after two BMWs, I bumped into this car on a MB lot. I felt foolish for not knowing that a car could be that much better. If you are thinking about purchasing this car do it! I am 6'6" and enjoy getting out of bed in the morning knowing I have a hour of alone time with my 430. Sometimes you become lulled into such a comfortable trance. I have found myself in my driveway on the phone with my laptop out. Never mind the office. Ultra package is great.

Pound per pound the Best car ever built

mob4life, 11/17/2008
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

After thoroughly evaluating and test driving the BMW 745, the S500 and the LS 430, the Lexus LS is pound per pound the best car ever built. The interior of this vehicle is 2nd to none. There is no other car manufacturer that can beat Lexus in this category. The exterior is beautiful as well. Many people want to claim that the exterior is subdued, but I disagree. I get plenty of compliments when I drive the Lex. And third, and most importantly, is the reliability. Lexus sets the standard in this category.

Fact not Fiction

Mister C, 07/18/2009
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

After 9mos. of ownership, I'm still amazed how a 2004 can still outrank & perform 2009 Mercedes, Audi, BMW, & Infiniti. The LS430 is the car to own (Period). Good on gas, handles swell for a big car, instant acceleration when the light turns green, great on braking, awesome reliability like no other; even though in Chicago winter snow tires could help... although u may do fine without. This car is very quiet, comfortable, quality is a 10-of-10. Mark Levinson sound system-"The Best", Navigation is easy to work with. Privacy rear shade, heated-and cooled seats (front and rear). Dual Climate Control, nearly 300hp, HID lights, LED rear lights. Very low wind noise at 70mph. Also holds its value.

Reliable Lux Vehicle

Toan Tran, 08/24/2009
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Bought Vehicle with 84k miles on it. Regular oil change from Lexus, 93 Octane gas when filling up. Car drives very smooth. Vehicle has a lot of power and fuel economy is very good for this big vehicle. The driver seat is very comfy. Problems with the car, the subwoofer is rattling when there is bass, windshield makes high pitch noise above 75mph, my front left door actuator door lock does not lock anymore. I have to lock it manually. Vehicle has the Modern Package.

Finest luxury car available

C. H. E., 12/24/2009
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned Mercedes and several BMWs and am a big fan of the latter. None, however, are as pleasurable to drive as the LS 430. The design is not as dazzling as some others but the car is a work or art in its functional perfection. Everything is designed with a purpose and everything fits and functions flawlessly.It is designed and executed to enhance driving comfort and experience without unnecessary complexity. Almost everything in its operation is intuitive. That is what intelligent design is all about. Once you experience the LS Lexus everything else is just a car. I will move up the LS 460 in the future but the change will be merely evolutionary.

BestValu

fijip, 10/22/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned 5 Lexus and haven't had a single complaint (other than the coffee cup holders)about the car's performance, reliability, and cost of ownership. Best value in a luxury car...bar none. Good & safe driving.../frank

Should have bought a Lexus earlier!!!

J.W., 10/23/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

After driving the 2004 LS430, I couldn't believe that I actually drove a Mercedes S-class for 5 years without thinking about a Lexus. This Lexus is sooooo quiet!!! Everything inside this car feels so refined and comfortable. The ventilated front seat is really a treat on an(unusually hot) October afternoon. The Mark Levinson system is much better than the Bose system on the Mercedes. The navigation system seemed hard to use at first, but once mastered, it is rather intuitive. The keyless entry feature is really cool, too. This is the best car I have owned so far in my 27 years on earth!!!

An Almost Perfect Car

topken, 12/24/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

This car has everything I was looking for. Sure, the design from the outside is undistuguished, but heck, when you're driving it you don't see the outside. The Smart Access (like MN's "Keyless Go") is wonderful. I had the XM radio added and when heard through the Mark Levinson sound system- -WOW. Bluetooth compatibility means I don't pay ANYTHING to hook my mobile phone to the car. Like the Smart Access, when you're in the car your phone works through the radio. Hundreds of little well-thought out features, like that extra wipe you get 10 seconds after you've used the windshield washer to get that last drip.

Mine Has Radar Cruise Better Than Great

MANDALAY, 05/31/2005
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have to admit the dealer lied a lot but the car is super-I paid more than I should but radar cruise control is life saving and I love it-car is the best all around-there is nothing left I couldn't pu t on it-bought the 5 year warranty with tax cost me 79,800 but worth more and runs better than any German car or Jag. It is an amazing vehicle and will keep it a long time so I don't mind the cost-car is great but dealer & sales & managemtnt were not

The very good and the not so good

Jack Johnson, 08/14/2006
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Let me start off by saying this is a very, very well put together car. It's fast, quiet has great electronics and the build quality is top notch. Very good gas mileage for such a strong V8. No rattles or squeaks. What it is not is exciting to drive. If you like the old American Caddy ride, this it the best ever. If you want to feel the road, have some steering wheel feel and be able to corner, this is not the best choice. If I had a driver, I would love to sit in the back. For those who like driving dynamics, you may prefer the Euro cars.

MY SIX LEXUSES

charles hasper, 04/08/2004
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 6th 400 series Lexus. Each time I get ready for a new car I try all the supposedly comparable models and then know none of them could satisfy me except a Lexus.Since 1990 in the previous 5 cars I have NEVER had anything go wrong----and wherever I've traveled the local Lexus dealer treats me as if I were a local.

Best car ever

Frank Ruprich, 04/20/2004
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have found the best vehicle I have ever owned or driven. The V-8 is very quiet and powerful. Not many can out run the car from the green light and be so quiet and unassuming at the same time.

6 months old and we hate it

GER12, 03/16/2004
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

This is my wife's car and we've had it for about six months now and have put maybe 5,000 miles on it now, because we both can't drive it for long drives. We get motion sickness in the car for long trips, because the suspension is always rocking and the ride is ultra smooth becase of it but it rocks back and forth while your on the highway over the little ridges between where the highway was poured. Look at the 745i we love ours and the new A 8 looks nice and neighbor seems to like theirs.

Is it worth the high price?

margy, 04/21/2008
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

The car is very comfortable, quiet and safe. It has excellent acceleration and braking. It is very bad in snow. I don't have snow tires, so maybe those would improve driving. The a/c compressor just broke down completely and had to be replaced. It was an expensive repair and I was very surprised and disappointed that this would happen on a Lexus. I don't know if I would buy another Lexus, if it was truly worth the expense.

Right

Ehsan, 10/31/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Just trust it. Car hugs you. It's unbelievable great & imperissionable. Thanks to LEXUS.

BEST FOR THE MONEY

TURIDDU, 11/09/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

A SIMILAR VEHICLE SAVED MY LIFE IN A "REAR-ENDER" THE SERVICE THAT ALL LEXUS DEALERS PROVIDE IS SECOND TO NONE. LIL WOULD PREFER A "SPORTIER" VERSION. THE "SPORT" SETTING ON MY ULTRA-LUXURY MODEL JUST DOESN'T DO IT

Great but not Fantastic

carperson, 11/08/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I've had the car for one week now and I have driven about 350 miles and have read through and figured out all the bells and whistles on the car. My previous car was a BMW 328i 2000 automatic 4 door sedan in titanium silver. I think this is a great car. It is extremely expensive however. Since I was buying an 04 in 03 I paid $3500 over sticker with an auto broker. However, I got a GREAT deal on the lease with a money factor of only .00164! I didn't want the smart key ($1K) option, but it seemed that all the cars with the Modern Luxury Package came with it. One problem with the smart key is that it interferes with remote start - nice for the winter.

My Experience with the New LS430

RajaReMax, 11/18/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I just bought a new Black 2004 LS430 on 10/31/03. For the 1st few mornings after, I must admit to peeking in the garage to see if it was really there. This car is superb in every way. The car has a EuroSport suspension w/18'wheels. A rearview camera is an entertaining feature as well as the Navigation & MarkLevinson sound system. A SmartKey enables a keyless system to enter & drive the car. With SmartKey, interior & sideview mirrors light up automatically when you simply walk up to the car. Also a big kick is the headturning factor...With style, luxury, power, quality & plenty of toys, this is understandably the highest rated luxury car.

PERFECT

DADDYMALU, 11/06/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

THE LS430 IS THE BEST LUXURY VEHICLE FOR THE DOLLAR.....

great car

h.meyers, 11/25/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

this car is a driving wonder

Best car I've ever owned

William Tell, 11/24/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned Japanese, German and American cars over my 50+ years and have never owned a better car. The new 2004 replaced (traded in) my 2001 LS430. The braking on the LS is phenomenal. The '04 has improved pads and rotors. The six speed transmission gives the car a 0 - 60 of 5.9 seconds and I swear it is actually faster than that. The keyless entry is wonderful as well. It is very, very convenient to keep the fob in your pocket when you open doors and start the car without having to fumble for a key. The adaptive Front Lighting System (headlights aim where you are going) is great. This is an incredible Driver’s Automobile.

Exceptional

Abba180, 12/01/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I traded in my already perfect Lexus LS400. The car drive is the same legendary lexus drive. With the added air suspension, you can change the car to a more sporty BMW feel with the flick of a button.

The best LS 430 ever

lovetoplaygolf, 12/02/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

By far the best Lexus and car on the market.

Fun Cruiser

Chris Parker, 11/21/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I tested the M-B S500 and the BMW 745L, but when I drove the LS430, there was no choice. I've never driven a car this large that was this much fun. The comfort, safety, luxury tweeks, stereo, and build quality go without saying. If there is a better car-per-dollar on the market I missed it... but I have no regrets.

Somebody's got to be First . . .

Jali, 11/22/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Allow me to qualify: I am a former Lexus Salesperson and I recently purchased the LS in Idaho for my parents. I then drove it to them in California. On new cars, I have sold over a dozen brand names including luxury lines and, IMO, Lexus is at the pinnacle of all badges. The 2004 LS has introduced new features and options that further enhance a legendary series. After 1100 miles in 2 days, it was the most pleasurable and least fatiguing road-trip I have ever made. Not a head-turner to every passerby, it does garner attention from knowledgeable consumers. That’s refreshing to those seeking the finest of automobiles without parading apparent wealth.

ultimate car

paul b, 11/23/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Great new features of parking assist, headlights are amazing, & comfort is unsurpassed. Should have standard sat radio & navigational system for the price

My LS 430

427 AC Cobra/PA, 12/03/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

The seat was too small to accomadate support under thighs. I purchased my LS 430, and I can honestly say, for me, that this is a much better car. The interior is bigger, adjustments on seat can be dialed in to my preferences. Gas consumption was 25.7 mpg @ 75-80 mph, on a 350 mi trip. The one complaint that I do have is the mandatory purchase of the navigation system, in order to have the upgraded audio system. With the windows all the way down, the rear middle restraint-belt produces a very loud slapping noise.

The Perfect Car

Allen04, 12/06/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

When you first get in the LS, you experience a wonderfully plush interior with less of a technical assault than the BMW 745i. The technology is easy to use, and it's got to be the most comfortable car in the world. With ample power, the car accelerates 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, which is fast enough for just about anyone. You could be going 100 mph and not even know it. This cabin is incredibly quiet, and the bumps are non-existent. The rear back-up camera is a very useful gizmo. Overall this car is wonderful, and if it's anything like its Lexus predecessors it will hold up to its value. And at thousands less than its competitors, this is one great buy.

ultimate smooooothy

David Pugh, 12/07/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

When first shopping for a replacement for jaguar XK8 I never expected to end up with the LS430.I wanted something different, drove many different models. Finally drove Ls430 and came to conclusion for the money this was the best available. Bought the base model with perforated leather (A/C) seats, chrome rims, sunroof. Love it, great car, no problems at all. Dealer is superb, third car purchased there. Exterior is a little frumpy but excells everywhere else.

LEXUS 2004 LS430 RATING

jvmclean, 12/14/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

The Lexus LS430 2004 model is the best vehicle on the planet - without a shadow of a doubt!!! I have driven all the "wanna bees" and I confirm this from experience. Fast, smooth, reliable and extremely durable it leaves the competition gasping for "air". It is also the most quiet car in the world, inside and out. Say no more! The real difference between the LS430 and the competition is in one word:- ENGINEERING If you go no to include price, then it is a "slam dunk" for the LS430.

lexus 430ls, the best

mikels430, 12/10/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

best car for the money. very reliable, great service. I will never buy another Mercedes again

LS 430 not an old's man car anymore!

Precision Pilot, 12/20/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Awesome.. Great new styling. Fresh Quick transmission. Great 18' wheels with awesome handling characteristics with the Euro-suspension.

A Great Car

RonPar, 12/27/2003
4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Performance, reliability, comfort, ease of entry (front and rear), and economy for a large car meets or beats cars in the $85000 plus bracket. The service is top notch.

51050