FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Mazdaspeed 3 Wins Edmunds' Inside Line Sport Compact Comparison Test
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — December 7, 2006 — Inside Line, Edmunds' high-speed online car magazine, today announced that the 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 won its latest comparison test, which is described in full at 2006 Sport Compact Comparison Test.
The Inside Line editorial team recently compared six sport compact cars; each is small, sporty, practical, costs under $25,000 and has a four-cylinder engine. The vehicles in the test were:
- Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged, with a sports performance package, a 205-horsepower engine and an Edmunds.com True Market Value®* of $21,059
- Honda Civic Si, with summer tires, a 197-horsepower engine and an Edmunds.com True Market Value® of $21,085
- Mazdaspeed 3, with a 263-horsepower engine and an Edmunds.com True Market Value® of $24,282
- Mini Cooper S, with limited-slip differential, a 168-horsepower engine and an Edmunds.com True Market Value® of $21,950
- Subaru Impreza WRX TR, with a 230-horsepower engine and an Edmunds.com True Market Value® of $23,403
- Volkswagen GTI, with a 200-horsepower engine and an Edmunds.com True Market Value® of $21,749
* The Edmunds.com True Market Value® price is Edmunds.com's determination of the current average national base dealer retail price, unadjusted for region, options or color. Please visit http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/index.html for more information.
"The Mazdaspeed 3 had the full house," reports Edmunds' Inside Line Senior Road Test Editor Josh Jacquot. "Its speed and its practical five-door hatchback body made it the fastest car in the test and also the easiest package to live with. Put simply, it's impossible to go this fast, have this much fun and be more practical for less money."
Jacquot continues, "Subaru's fast, sideways-driving WRX TR finished a distant second place, but on certain roads proved to be more fun than any other car in the test. Honda's smart Civic Si finished third and impressed us with its laser-precise controls that truly bring the car to life during hard driving. The Mini Cooper S landed in fourth place despite brilliant dynamics and styling. VW's softly sprung GTI earned fifth place and the supercharged Chevy Cobalt SS finished sixth among this competitive group."
Vehicle Rankings from the 2006 Sport Compact Comparison Test
- Mazdaspeed 3
- Subaru Impreza WRX TR
- Honda Civic Si
- Mini Cooper S
- Volkswagen GTI
- Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged
To read the review and to get more information on the Edmunds' Inside Line editors' evaluation and rankings, visit 2006 Sport Compact Comparison Test.
About Edmunds.com, Inc. (http://www.edmunds.com/about/)
Edmunds.com, Inc. publishes three Web sites that empower, engage and educate automotive consumers and enthusiasts. Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive consumer information, launched in 1995 as the first automotive information Web site. Its most popular feature, the Edmunds.com True Market Value