Edmunds.com's Redesign Leaves No Technology Stone Unturned
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — December 14, 2010 — Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information, recently launched an exciting redesign with a host of new technology capabilities supporting an enhanced website experience.
The new version of the site benefits from:
- Completely new UI/UX geared towards getting out of the consumers' way and letting them get what they want done fast and with ease
- All pages are made of small, reusable components that can be combined in various permutations to deliver new pages
- Smarter page rendering techniques geared towards making pages "feel" faster and responsive to our consumers
- A brand new Content Management System that was built in-house in an MVC architecture to facilitate content publishing, scheduling, maintenance and distribution
- A new website search platform using Apache Solr
- The second generation of an internally developed message-based publishing (data+content) system
- A soon to be open-sourced traffic routing system to handle a modular application framework
- A heavily virtualized internal "cloud" infrastructure responsible for managing system, network and application deployments
- New suite of automated tests and data validators to ensure bugs are caught early and protected against in the future
"There was no system or application that was sacred at Edmunds if its speed or reliability was in question. This has been a two-year endeavor and, thanks to the dedication and ingenuity of our team, we have made some really interesting discoveries about how to make the experience better for our visitors," commented Edmunds.com CIO Philip Potloff. "For example, our intense focus on improving page load times has resulted in new methodologies for optimizing page structure, handling third-party components and data caching."
About Edmunds.com, Inc. (http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/index.html)
Edmunds.com Inc. publishes Web sites that empower, engage and educate automotive consumers, enthusiasts and insiders. Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information, launched in 1995 as the first automotive information Web site and hosts the most established automotive community online. Its mobile site, accessible from any smartphone at www.edmunds.com, makes car pricing and other research tools available for car shoppers at dealerships and otherwise on the go. InsideLine.com is the most-read automotive enthusiast Web site. Its mobile site, accessible from any smartphone at www.insideline.com, features the wireless Web's highest quality car photos and videos. AutoObserver.com provides insightful automotive industry commentary and analysis. Edmunds.com Inc. is headquartered in Santa Monica, California, and maintains a satellite office in suburban Detroit. Follow Edmunds.com on Twitter@edmunds and fan Edmunds.com on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/edmunds.