FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Edmunds.com Provides Tips for Winter Driving on Snow and Ice
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — (December 11, 2009) — Edmunds.com, the premier resource for automotive information, provides winter driving tips in time for this weekend's expected downfall.
Edmunds.com's article "Driving in the Snow and on Icy Roads: 10 Safety Tips" may help keep you safe while driving this winter season. Here are some of the most important tips:
- Check your tires: Look for the "snowflake on the mountain" icon on the sidewall to make sure that you are using snow tires. Some all-season tires may not provide enough traction in heavy snow. Always make sure tires are properly inflated.
- Maximize visibility: Clean windows thoroughly, apply water-shedding material to windows and mirrors, replace windshield wiper blades, have windshield washer fluid replaced by anti-icing fluid, and keep headlights and taillights on and clear of snow.
- Run the air conditioner: To remove condensation and frost from the windows, turn your air conditioner on — even if you set the temperature to "hot" — and choose the fresh air option.
- Stop efficiently with anti-lock brakes: If you have antilock brakes and must stop suddenly, stomp, stay and steer: Stomp on the pedal, stay hard on the pedal and steer around the obstacle. You'll feel and hear the pulses of the system working. On slippery surfaces, ease up slightly until the pulsing only happens about once per second.
- Stop efficiently without anti-lock brakes: On a slippery road, push the brake pedal hard until the wheels stop rolling, then immediately release the brake enough to allow the wheels to begin turning again. Repeat this sequence rapidly. This is not the same as "pumping the brake."
- Prepare for the tough spots. Icy patches tend to occur on bridges, at intersections and wherever water runs across the road. Just like a race car driver awaiting a sharp turn, be ready for the potential danger at predictable spots.
Edmunds.com provides additional useful information in its articles "How To Survive the Top 10 Driving Emergencies," "How to Drive in the Snow," "Winterize Your Vehicle," and "Tips and Techniques for Driving in the Rain." Each is accessible by clicking on the Edmunds' Car Tips and Advice tab from the site's home page.
About Edmunds Inc. (http://www.edmunds.com/about/)
Edmunds Inc. publishes four Web sites that empower, engage and educate automotive consumers, enthusiasts and insiders. Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive consumer information, launched in 1995 as the first automotive information Web site. Its most popular feature, the Edmunds.com True Market Value®, is relied upon by millions of people seeking current transaction prices for new and used vehicles. Edmunds.com was named "Best Car Research Site" by Forbes ASAP, has been selected by consumers as the "Most Useful Web Site" according to every J.D. Power and Associates New Autoshopper.com Study(SM), was ranked first in the Survey of Car-Shopping Web Sites by The Wall Street Journal and was rated "#1" in Keynote's study of third-party automotive Web sites. Inside Line launched in 2005 and is the most-read automotive enthusiast Web site. CarSpace launched in 2006 and is an automotive social networking Web site and home to the oldest and most established automotive community. AutoObserver.com launched in 2007 and provides insightful automotive industry commentary and analysis. Edmunds Inc. is headquartered in Santa Monica, California, and maintains a satellite office in suburban Detroit.