FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Edmunds.com Provides Money-Saving Car Rental Tips
"The choices offered at the rental car counter can be overwhelming," said Philip Reed, Senior Consumer Advice Editor for Edmunds.com. "Knowing what to expect ahead of time can make your experience less stressful — and easier on your wallet, too."
Some of Edmunds.com's car rental tips are:
- Rent by the Week — If you're planning on having the vehicle for five or more days, look for weekly rentals. You can save as much as 30 percent paying the weekly rate compared with paying for a seven-day rental on the daily rate.
- Research your Insurance Coverage — Before going to the rental car counter, check your insurance and credit card coverage. Most insurance policies offer liability coverage and others cover rental-car coverage via comprehensive and collision coverage, while some credit card providers have a built-in protection for rental car insurance.
- Think Twice About Prepaid Gas — When you prepay for gas, you agree that you will pay to fill the entire gas tank as if it were empty. If you're sure that the entire tank won't be used, decline the prepaid gas option and save money replacing only what you use.
- Be Careful of Upgrades — Car rental companies sometimes offer free upgrades to larger vehicles in order to save the more fuel-efficient vehicles for specific requests from those aiming to save money on gas. Larger vehicles will cost you more in fuel costs. If you want to save that money, decline the upgrade.
- Avoid Airports When You Can — A 2005 Travelocity study showed that travelers are charged 25.8 percent in taxes and fees when renting at an airport location, while being charged only 14.1 percent at non-airport locations. Texas airports were the largest offenders.
"Avoid sticker shock at the counter by researching the taxes and fees you will be charged," said Warren Clarke, Consumer Advice Editor for Edmunds.com. "It's a great idea to comparison shop using the car rental company Web sites and travel sites like Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline and Travelocity, but be sure you're comparing prices after taxes and fees have been computed."
For more tips on saving money at the car rental counter, see the complete list of top ten car rental tips at http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/116640/article.html.
About Edmunds.com, Inc.
Edmunds.com publishes three Web sites that empower, engage and educate automotive consumers and enthusiasts. Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive consumer information and its most popular feature, the Edmunds.com True Market Value®, is relied upon by millions of people seeking current transaction prices for new and used vehicles. Edmunds.com was named "Best Car Research Site" by Forbes ASAP, has been selected by consumers as the "Most Useful Web Site" according to every J.D. Power and Associates New Autoshopper.com StudySM, was ranked first in the Survey of Car-Shopping Web Sites by The Wall Street Journal and was rated "#1" in Keynote's study of third-party automotive Web sites. Inside Line launched in January 2005 and is the most-read automotive enthusiast Web site. CarSpace launched in February 2006 and is an automotive lifestyle social networking Web site for anyone with an interest in automobiles. The company is headquartered in Santa Monica, California, and maintains a satellite office in suburban Detroit.