FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Edmunds.com Editors' Top-10 Car-Themed Gifts for Kids
The Newest Toys, Books and Video Games Guaranteed to Delight Budding Car Enthusiasts
SANTA MONICA, Calif. — December 15, 2005 — Editors at Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information, are coming to the rescue of parents who want to indulge their kids' budding enthusiasm for cars, yet haven't found the ideal gift as the holidays quickly approach.
Even if getting their driver's license is years in the future, lucky kids will take delight in a wide range of new car-themed toys, books and video games that range in price from $7.95 to $299. The Edmunds.com editors' favorites (just in the nick of time):
1. Lego Ferrari F430 Spider Ages 9-14 Lego makes racer models priced from $3.99 to $49.99, but the Edmunds.com editors' favorite is the $39.99 Spider, an authentic 1:17 scale copy of the Ferrari 430 Spider.
2. Nintendo Mario Kart DS Bundle Rated: E for Everyone; best suited for those over 6This special holiday pack bundles the Limited-Edition Hot Rod Red Nintendo DS portable with the high-quality, kid-friendly Mario Kart DS game. The bundle costs $149.99, but the game can be purchased separately ($34.99) if the child already owns a Nintendo DS.
3. Electronic Arts Burnout Revenge Rated: E10+ for mild violenceWinner of "Best Racing Game" at the 2005 Electronics Entertainment Expo (e3), "Burnout Revenge" even makes rabid fans out of driving-game haters. Available for PS2 and Xbox, $39.99.
4. Fisher-Price Power Wheels Cadillac® EscaladeTM Custom Edition Ages 2-6 This Fisher-Price/Toys "R" Us exclusive has almost as many features and "bling" as the real thing. Like its namesake, this top-of-the-line pick has a hefty price tag: $290.
5. Safety 1st C5 Racer Corvette Ages 3+ Chocked full of features, this sturdy, super-realistic ride-on-top model seats two, has great racing sounds and is priced at $299.99. Colors include Bubble Gum Pink with flower decals for the girls.
6. Have Fries — Will Travel! The Adventures of a Veggie-Powered Car and an Eco-Rap Star By Linda K. Hempel and Kathy DotsonAll agesA unique book (complete with celebrity introduction by Daryl Hannah) that makes the "green" subject accessible and fun. Published by New Society Publishers and priced at $12.95.
7. Everything I Know About Cars: A Collection of Made-Up Facts, Educated Guesses, and Silly Pictures about Cars, Trucks, and Other Zoomy Things By Tom Lichtenheld Grades 1-4 Author/illustrator Tom Lichtenheld is a longtime favorite of children everywhere, having penned similar "Everything I Know..." books about monsters and pirates. In his new "Cars" book, kids will learn a made-up history of cars and motor travel, how cars (supposedly) work, how to be a good passenger, and even offers tips for kids on how to design and draw their own vehicles. It retails for $16.95.
8. Crashed, Smashed, And Mashed: A Trip to Junkyard Heaven By Joyce Slayton Mitchell and Steven BornsGrades 3-6What happens to a car after it dies? This new paperback edition of the 2001 hardcover gives kids (and adults) a glimpse into a world they might not ever see for themselves. From Tricycle Press for $7.95.
9. NASCAR, a DK Eyewitness Book By James Buckley Grades 5-8 There are plenty of other NASCAR books, but those who have read DK Eyewitness books know that nothing compares to the way they tell the story via large color photos, graphs and fun facts. The book retails for $15.99.
10. Reed and Barton Silver-Plated Race Car Bank Silversmiths Reed and Barton, well-known for their flatware and giftware, offer this classy 6 ¾-inch, tarnish-resistant model from their Antique Toy Bank Collection. If the child's first word (after "Mama" or "Dada") was "car," this shiny toy priced at $35 will elicit the kind of squeals that don't come from tires.
For more details about these gifts, additional "honorable mention" ideas for car-themed kids' presents, and time-saving links to find these gifts online, go to http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/108469/article.html.
About Edmunds.com, Inc.
Edmunds.com is the premier online resource for automotive information. Its comprehensive set of data, tools and services, including Edmunds.com True Market Value ® pricing, is generated by Edmunds.com Information Solutions and is licensed to third parties. The company supplies content for the auto sections of NYTimes.com, AOL, CNN.com, About.com and IGN.com, provides weekly data to Automotive News, and delivers monthly data reports to Wall Street analysts. Edmunds.com also publishes Inside Line (www.insideline.com), a free online magazine for auto enthusiasts. Edmunds.com was named "Best Car Research Site" by Forbes ASAP, has been selected by consumers as the "Most Useful Web Site" according to every J.D. Power and Associates New Autoshopper.com StudySM , and was ranked first in the Survey of Car-Shopping Web Sites by The Wall Street Journal. The company is headquartered in Santa Monica , Calif. and maintains a satellite office in suburban Detroit.