2005 Lexus GX 470 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - What an SUV should be

2005 Lexus GX 470 - Consumer Review

Base 4dr SUV (4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

What an SUV should be
By Ken on

2005 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

An older design that has held up very well. Light on certain features vs newer competition but so well executed it doesn't matter. I've owned too many SUVs and was let down by their quality and resale value. Finally, I looked for the best 50K-60K SUV out there and worked backwards from the resale figures. What I found was a capable and incredibly reliable SUV. Stout mechanicals covered with Lexus jewelry. I have no complaints and my wish list isn't really valid... what I wish for generally wasn't allowed for in the design years ago. One thing amazes me though, the HP & torque figures are pretty lame considering the weight (235/320 & 4900+), Toyota somehow makes it feel much stronger.

Favorite Features

Quality & reliability hands down. Classy & "un-trendy" looks. Interior that is abundant in nuance and detail. Tracks like a train on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Storage is a joke. RES/DVD impossible to control without remote. Rear a/c controls another joke. ES 330 has ventilated seats and passenger memory but not us? Vehicle too tall for a full overhead hatch, but what about a clamshell design with upper power assist? Wheels look silly (design and size).