1999 Isuzu Rodeo Consumer Review: Like a Timex, takes a licking.

1999 Isuzu Rodeo - Consumer Review

LS 4dr SUV (3.2L V6 5-speed Manual)

Like a Timex, takes a licking...
By powderbud on

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4dr SUV

I bought my '99 Rodeo in 2000 with exactly 30k miles on it. I am now at almost 350k miles. This is my 2nd Rodeo. At 100k miles, I had to replace the clutch for $1100. That is probably my biggest complaint about the Rodeo. GM built the engine, and clearly they wanted to insure repair costs were ridiculously high. Even to change the thermostat requires removing the manifold pushing the cost at a shop to over $150. On most cars, replacing an $7 thermostat takes all of 5 min and a screwdriver. I also had the rear diff assy replaced at about 150k miles. Bought one used for $500, been fine ever since. My Rodey blows 4Runners, etc away going up I-70 to the mountains every weekend.

Horsepower: 210bhp. At the time, it was the most power in it's class. 5 spd tranny - never had a problem, and far outperforms any auto tranny I've driven still. DIN sized dash mount for stereo - don't be stuck with the overpriced, low quality manufacturers junk. Reliability. My friends & family still can't believe the miles I've got out of this old truck and it still looks good. Change the oil regularly, the O2 sensors, wash & wax, and you too can get 300,000 or more miles out of these Rodeos. It amazes me that Isuzu couldn't keep up with the competition on creature comforts that sell. Great, reliable vehicles in my opinion.

Don't tie the sunroof option to automatic transmissions. Stupid idea. Forget the 6 disc CD player, they never work for long. Fuel gauge clearly has a problem, find a new supplier. More comfortable seats would make long, multi day drives easier. Move the engine thermostat to where the average DIY mechanic can replace such a mundane part, and put a cabin air filter in. None of these will happen since Isuzu no longer sells vehicles in the U.S.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review