1999 GMC Jimmy Consumer Review: Don't buy one of these

1999 GMC Jimmy - Consumer Review

SLE 4dr SUV (4.3L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Don't buy one of these
By sponzo on

1999 GMC Jimmy SLE 4dr SUV

I have owned this car for four years and have had numerous electrical problems that were never solved, even by certified GMC dealer service shops. The transmission went at 72,000 miles, ending up in pieces in the oil pan. It has run rough after the 100K mile mark, a few times spewing transmission fluid all over the engine and causing it to smoke. The last time I took it for a drive, the engine spontaneously caught fire while I was driving. I pulled over and watched the entire SUV be overtaken in flames, including the interior and all personal belongings inside. Nothing was salvagable. The car had only 125K miles.

I did like the comfortable front seats, but they were definately not flame retardant.

Construct a vehicle that does not catch fire while driving down the road. If I had my children in the backseat they would have burned to death. The entire SUV was consumed in a matter of less than five minutes.