2011 Ford Fiesta S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Fiesta - Consumer Reviews

2011 Fiesta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Fiesta model:

Sort Reviews by

Transmission is dangerous
By Erin Grey

2011 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The transmission just slipped out of the blue while I was on the highway! We had had some problems before - weird things like the battery died when it was just a couple years old (we didn't leave a light on or anything, it just died). Then the car would sometimes stall when coming to a stop. But nobody could tell us what was wrong, and they all thought I was crazy. This latest highway fiasco is the end for me though. So dangerous! Plus now the clutch is shot. Neither the dealership nor Ford will cover the clutch. This is crazy! This car is dangerous.

Fantastic little blue Fiesta
By moabjeeper

2011 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new January 2011 and have had no problems and have had nothing go wrong with it. It now has 49,000 miles. We have the automatic transmission and once we got used to the way it behaves, have had no complaints. Test drove a manual and the auto beats it hands down. My daughter drives it commuting to school and loves it so much she calls it "her" car. It consistently gets close to 34 mpg in mixed driving. My Son is getting his drivers license and wants a green one.

Favorite Features

mpg, reliability, livability.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

A good buy in my opinion
By az_sports_fan

2011 Ford Fiesta SES 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 2011 Ford Fiesta SES automatic hatchback for about two years now. I will give a few reasons why I would buy it again. My payment for a next-to-new car was reasonable & it's good on gas. My car now has about 83K miles. (When I purchased the car it had about 35K) I have had only one major repair (the back passenger door wouldn't stay closed.) It was $450 to fix that. I love the inside design-it looks nice & is functional. I recently rented a 2013 Nissan Maxima for a trip. I was surprised to find the Nissan had no USB charger & no bluetooth. The only things I don't like is the shifting at low speeds & the lack of power.

Favorite Features

I love the Bluetooth, the USB port for charging my cell phone, the radio display shows more info. than other car radios. (Like song title, artist name things like that.) The ambient lighting is nice. I also love the five cup holders it has in the front seat area alone. Sync is also one of my fav. features, it seems to work well most of the time for me. It's also very roomy for a small car. My brother is 6 ft. 2 inches tall & he fits in the car comfortably.

Suggested Improvements

dislikes- it doesn't have a panic alarm on the key fob. It doesn't have a center console to store things out of eyesight or arm rest. The small compartments meant to hold stuff are not big enough to hold an I phone or sunglasses. No dry cleaning hooks to hang clothes on. They key is very expensive to duplicate.

2011 Ford Fiesta with Dual Clutch Manual Auto Trans in Blue Flame
By grandma1961

2011 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE my car! Bought used in 2013 and 2 months later took a trip from No. KY to TN and then on to LA and then back. For the first leg of the trip, I filled before leaving home, went about 150 miles to pick up Dad, then on to TN another 250. All up and down hills, and ONE tank of fuel! I was speechless! Yes, that transmission takes a little to get used to. Thought something was wrong with it UNTIL I read the owner's manual. You just have to LISTEN to the shifting to get it right. If you accelerate moderately, you won't get that jerky feeling. I could not be happier with it. I drive over 100 miles a day and gas mileage is great. Started with 23K miles and now over 65K on it.

Favorite Features

Love the speedy transmission. Once you get used to it, it really can do amazing things! Also, that Traction/Stability/Slide control. When turned off, you will fishtail in gravel. With it on, it drives like a dream.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of any, except enlarging the back seat so passengers are more comfy.

Fun Car!
By fiestafanatic

2011 Ford Fiesta SEL 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car is my very first car and I am in love! I have the oxford white SEL trim. The only thing that I have an issue with is the Sync. Apparently, there is a factory defect in the software that causes the entire auxillary unit to go out. My radio still works good though. Other than that it has been a dream. Excellent gas mileage!! Almost 40mpg!!! Moonroof, all of my friends fit in just fine! Highly recommend!

Favorite Features

Moonroof Easy Controls in the cabin Gas mileage Smooth ride Ambient Color Change Lighting

Suggested Improvements

SYNC

Quiet, Comfortable and Fun to Drive
By davep101

2011 Ford Fiesta SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My Fiesta hatchback has 35K miles now. I am very happy overall with the performance and style of this little car. I drive mostly on the highway and get 42 mpg overall. I have the automated manual transmission and concur with the frustration some people have voiced. I spoke with a Ford mechanic about the design of this automated manual vs a traditional automatic transmission. It is apparent to me that there is a learning curve when it comes to driving this transmission. Dealers should be explaining to customers how this trans differs from a traditional automatic with a torque converter.

Favorite Features

My favorite features include comfortable front seating, sound screen windows that reduce wind noise, blue tooth connectivity, electric assist steering and ergonomic lay-out of controls.

Suggested Improvements

The automated manual transmission needs improvement so that it shifts more smoothly at low speeds and does not transmit vibrations through the steering column. Need arm rests on front seat and center pull-down arm rest for rear passengers. Rear hatch area has limited cargo room. Leg room in rear is limited. Rear seats should fold flat to handle more cargo in rear (like Honda Fit).

Good car...especially for the money
By qwerty14

2011 Ford Fiesta S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2011 Fiesta with 68K miles and I have experienced NO issues at all. The car drives fine and for the price(<$15K) you can’t beat it. Need I remind all of the Fiesta bashers.... this is not a high end $20K+ car. You get what you pay for and for less than $15K, this is a nice car. The only thing I have done to the car so far with 68K miles is oil changes and one set of tires. As far as the transmission is concerned, yes Ford has used a manual-automatic transmission and you simply need to get used to it. The “jerky” transmission that many have complained about is because you don’t have a feel for the car. You can’t come to a complete stop and then try to give it gas right away.

Favorite Features

You need to either ease into the turn and “gently” accelerate, or come to a complete stop and again “gently” accelerate or you will get jerked around. It is a matter of getting the feel of this over time. I have an automatic transmission. Gas mileage is incredible.... 36 in normal everyday driving in town and I just got 42 on a recent hwy trip. The interior fit and finish is nice for a less than $15K car and is as good as a number of $20K+ cars.

Not one of Ford's Better Ideas!
By godzilla1957

2011 Ford Fiesta SES 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Though the SES is very sharp looking, gets pretty good MPG (though a friend's TDI Passat at twice the size gets just as good MPG) it has many flaws and I honestly wish I hadn't bought this car. The 6 speed auto trans had to be reprogrammed, I'm reading about those who had to get new trans and I'm nervous since I'm 2K miles out of warrantee. I can't enter or exit a driveway with any grade without scraping. I can't see though the back window due to the read hear rests, no center console creates right arm fatigue. The AC vents blow right on my hands creating aches. At 5'11" I sit way too low, the back seat is basically worthless and SYNC is an abomination. I'm an unhappy camper.

my 2011 fiesta(cockroach)
By cockroach2

2011 Ford Fiesta SES 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no issues with it, love it. For me it runs great. I have no regrets. I do accelerate hard now after first 1000 miles. I have 15k on it now.

Favorite Features

blue tooth, over all look of the car

Suggested Improvements

6 speed manual and reclining front seats

LEMON DO NOT BUY
By stevienae

2011 Ford Fiesta SES 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2011 Ford Fiesta in August of 2010. It is an automatic, not manual transmission. Within a month it was back at Ford with transmission issues and has continued to have problems despite at least 10 trips to the Ford Shop. I was told by Ford Engineer that it must be the way I was driving it. They felt I was breaking with my left foot with my foot not completely off the gas. I do not break with my left foot. I just had it voluntarily repossessed as I cannot in good conscious sell it to somebody. This was after the New Car Lemon Law process and denied, I offered to walk away from it and have the dealer resell it and laughed at for being upside down when asked to trade it in.

Favorite Features

None that were worth the trouble of the bad transmission!

Suggested Improvements

Ford should stand behind their products. I've noticed there is not a selection for any Ford Fiesta Review with an automatic transmission. All reviews are for manual transmission. Hmmmmmmmm????????