Used 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Buick Roadmaster - Consumer Reviews

Estate 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )

Power, Great Value, I've owned 5 of Them
By roadmaster5

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

I echo what the other reviewers said, but the car does have its faults: the roof windows leak, not a lot, but they all do it enough to make the interior foggy on cold mornings. I park mine facing uphill and drill drain holes in the spare tire well and storage bin. The side rubber moldings come off after a dozen years, but don't throw them away. 3M exterior mounting tape puts them back as good as new, same for the interior door trim pieces whose tabs always break. The rear vent windows come off their hinges. Cynoacrylate gel does a decent job of putting them back. Rear windows go cockeyed after a plastic piece breaks--every car eventually. It's a $1 part and removing the door panel.

car for life?
By Mike

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

Love this car. Fast, reliable, comfortable and economical even for a big V-8. I load 12 foot surfcasting rods right down the middle or 4 X 8 sheet rock flat with the tailgate down. This car is so functional, reliable and so comfortable to drive I have difficulty buying a 2010 Anything! And it still looks great!

Favorite Features

L1 Corvette Engine performance High quality leather interior Grand Touring Suspension Climate Control

Suggested Improvements

Exterior trim doesn't age well Spotty body rust along lower perimeter

The best free car ever!
By sideiwnder13us

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

I was driving a 1986 v6 5 speed camaro that I got for $100.00 for 2 yrs. It was on its last broken leg. I was told of this 96 ESTATE WAGON for free. the old man was sick & dieing his family said If you want it you can have it. It's got just under 300. miles on it and it needed a fuel pump & a battery that I got out of my camaro. I have had it for 2 yrs now & I love it.

Favorite Features

(FREE) for me.

Suggested Improvements

Make a 2011. I would like to see it.

Oldie but goodie
By Steve

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

I bought my Estate collector's wagon from a friend who bought the car new in 1996. I had looked a these wagonsin '96 but thought they were priced to high. I got this one for a good price and only 25Kmiles and still has the dealer plastic wrap on the folding back seats.! I've driven it to CA. twice during the past two summers. I averaged 23 mpg and didn't feel tired after the drive. The powerful engine does well for this heavy of a car and the ride, although wavey, is not bad at all. I won first place in it's class at this summer's car show!

Favorite Features

The stereo is fantastic for only 4 speakers. Engine, ride, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Too latenow, no longer in production. Sadly, it's tough to get white wall tires that fit.

last of the best
By tikiwagon

1996 Buick Roadmaster Wagon Estate 4dr Wagon

I had been wanting a "Roadie" wagon since i was 16 and now that I finally have one i'm not disappointed. the best car ive owned... there are owners clubs out there for these cars (they are called B-Bodies ). parts are still readily available. i live in hilly western pa and I get 22-25 hwy mpg i have gotten as high as 28 in flat florida on vacation. the car drives smaller than it is. and is not hard to park. it will carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the tailgate closed. the areas to look closely at when buying one are 1. body rot particularly the 1/4 panel just past the rear tires. 2. air compressor issues (if air suspension equipped) 3. rear axle leaks 4. water leaks.

Favorite Features

couch-like seats, POWER! since its a chevy engine its cheap to modify for even more power. has the towing capacity of a fullsize pickup. has the seating capacity of a suburban with the ride of a cadillac. the fuel economy (considering the cars size) is great.

Suggested Improvements

they need to make a full size body-on- frame wagon again. they do not make anything like this anymore.