Used 2008 Volkswagen R32 Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used R32 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons
4.63 out of 5 stars

42K follow up

CA, 06/12/2010
2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

Follow up from Sep 2008 when I bought it w/ 12k miles. I now have 42k on this car and it remains rock solid. Over time I've gotten very used to getting the most out of it without killing gas mileage. It's best on long twisty road and takes 20 mph S-turns at 60-70 mph w/o even thinking about it and is so much fun to drive. I get 23 combined and 26 highway MPG but still think it needs a taller 6th gear. It's hard to find a better AWD car. AWD and DSG maintenance is spendy and only had a strut go bad. With all that said I wonder what it would do with an additional 100 hp.

Still Great at 25K Miles

J D Sharp, 06/04/2009
2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I wrote about my car shortly after receiving it in 2007. Here we are nearly two years later, and I still love it. No mechanical problems at all. Gas mileage is still mediocre (25mpg at very best, all highway driving, more like 18 in the city . . .) but understandable when there's so much power on tap. Seats continue to be completely supportive even after two years. Just wanted to chime in and say that the enthusiastic glow that so many of us feel right after buying a car has continued with this one. My favorite car I have ever owned, and that includes a long string of Audis, BMWs and various Japanese makes. No regrets whatever.

5 out of 5 stars

2008 VW R32

jack, 06/28/2008
2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

My wife drives a 2007 bmw 328ix and she loves her car but takes the R32 whenever she gets the chance, for a little more excitement. The complete package is almost perfectly balanced between comfort, performance, safety and can I Dare to say fuel economy. The one thing that stand out among any of the other pocket rockets on the market is the styling. No other car can really compare to the dynamic styling of this car inside and out. It is outside the box and beyond smart. I give it an 11 handling is sweet will keep up with anything on the hairpin road and the some.

3.88 out of 5 stars

Gas Line Problems

Chris, 07/17/2008
2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I too love this vehicle. It is sporty, functional, and fairly comfortable. However, as some of you have mentioned, I too have had this gas tank problem. My R32 was idling when it just started dumping multiple gallons of gas everywhere. The tank wasn't full and it came from the underside of the car. The VW people assure me that this problem was unique to my car. However, all the parts are back ordered. The have had my car for almost 2 weeks and said it could be 2-3 weeks more. Sounds like VW needs to admit this design flaw.

What a great car

ITworks, 06/13/2008
2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

Over the years I have owned or purchased a number of performance vehicles, a short summary: 1997 BMW M3, 2001 BMW M Coupe, 2003 Honda S2000, 2006 Porsche Boxster S. I do have to say the R32 doesn't quite hit the handling and performance of some of these cars, but it does something none of them could do (with the exception of the 97 M3) and that is provide performance and practicality. It certainly beats the M3 in bad weather because of AWD, but in pure head banging acceleration, you won't get it with the R32. What you will get is manners, knowing that the car in under your control, not the other way around, which happens when people buy too much car for their capability. The R32 is great!

4.88 out of 5 stars

Best Small Car in the World

Peter Wechsler, 06/18/2008
2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I am the #1 fan of VW/Audi vehicles and have owned both brands for years. They both make world class vehicles. VW has hit a home run with the R32. I just took possession of the car and the driving experience is incredible. It has all the safety option you need: ABS, AWD, 6 airbags, ESP, seat belt pretensioners, and the list goes on and on. The build and quality in unsurpassed. The AWD and the VR rated tires make this a great handling car. The interior is plush and well thought out. Although I would have like to see 300 hp, the 250 hp V6 engine is sufficient, unless you are racing the car. The car is rock solid throughout. i opted for the car without navigation.

4.13 out of 5 stars

Mature fun

vincenth, 06/20/2008
2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

After taking three long test drives comparing the new EVO, STI, and R32, I decided to purchase the VW. While both the EVO and STI will out perform the R32, I felt the VW was the best overall blend of performance and comfort.

4.63 out of 5 stars

Engine boggs on accelleration

JC, 06/24/2008
2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

Day after I bought the car it started hesitating and the car stall on me in traffic. Took the car to the dealer the next day and they said they couldn't find the problem. After taking the car several times to the dealer they finally found the problem. It took them 13 days to fix it while I was given a rental car. They replaced the "EVAPCANIST".

4.88 out of 5 stars

Whoa!

NewnanR32, 07/09/2008
2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I have had my R32 for 4 days now. I had previously owned a 1995 Jetta VR6. I knew what to expect with the power and performance. However I had no idea how smooth and precise the DSG was until my First Road Trip - from Detroit to Atlanta (750 miles). I learned that "S" means See Ya later! I was comfortable and enjoy the drive. Unbelievable handling and acceleration! This vehicle is low key and stays under the "Radar" with police. I look forward to adding a Cool Air Intake in the coming weeks to help with gas mileage and possibly more.

The Ultimate "Grown Up" Pocket Rocket

Tony, 11/03/2008
2dr Hatchback AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6AM)

I have been wanting this car ever since it hit our shores at the end of 07, however, I didn't want to pay sticker (or more) simply b/c it was a limited edition vehicle. Ended up paying $29K for my new non nav R32. I love the styling, DSG & all wheel drive grip of the Haldex 4motion system. This car really offers the best of the "boy racer" fun, but yet the practicality of a 3 dr hatchback without all the hood scoops and large winged spoilers. The fuel economy is the only real negative; and it's not the 18 mpg in the city that bothers me, its the short cruising range of 225 to 270 mls; the answer would have been a bigger tank. Otherwise no complaints; it's a great car that I would recommend.

51050