2020 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

$22,995

Save as much as $4,363
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Roomy and Comfy!

tweetconn, 12/15/2020
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my new 2020 Passat SE in September. I had wanted a Passat for some time. I chose the Platinum Gray Metallic color. The car is very roomy with lots of legroom even in the rear seating area. There are many safety features; lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring, backup camera, adaptive cruise control, etc. To my surprise, my car insurance premium actually went down because of them. I like the engine temperature guage (which my 2014 Jetta didn't have) and the torque converted 6 speed automatic transmission. The gas pedal is very responsive and the power from the 2.0 TSI engine is good. Brakes are very responsive. The car handles well and has the typical German car feel. I have done better than the 34 mpg highway mileage rating of 34 mpg. I average 36 on the highway and 32mpg in and around town. My only dislike is that it does not have a CD player, but the Apple Carplay feature helps to make up for that. I intend to cut the oil change interval in half and change the oil every 5000 miles. (It is important to use synthetic oil in turbo motors.) I hope to keep this car for a long time. I also got a great deal, by paying $6000 below MSRP!

Yes, but.....

David Emrich, 09/27/2020
S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I had a 2014 Passat that I hated when I first drove it. But then I adjusted the steering wheel, and seat, and thought, oh. When I bought it, I felt terrible driving it home. I thought I’d made a mistake. It felt like a cheap rental car. But then I got used to it, and I loved it. Ditto this one. I love the motor. So much fun to drive. But it does shake when it warms up. Misses. Salesman says his Jetta does the same thing. 1,100 rpm, then 600 once it’s warmed up. Smooth. You can nit pick this car, but the gestalt of the experience supplants that for me. The sum is greater than the individual pieces.

Buyer beware

Remorseful, 09/15/2020
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned the car for just over 3 weeks. I now have 2400 miles on it, having taken a trip to Florida last week. There are some pluses. The air conditioning is ice cold. The gas mileage on the highway is better than the ratings. The standard radio is impressive for its sound quality. The car does have long legs, and highway miles go by easily. But had I known of the issues I have encountered, I never would have purchased the car. The alignment is off, pulling the car to the right. I had already driven another Passat at a different dealer, and honestly did not think I would have any issues, so I did not test drive this car. I wanted to have the alignment looked into when I was in Florida, but the dealer told me that all costs would have to be covered by me. Needless to say, I did not go that route. Once back home, I had to call VW Cares to set up an appointment at the selling dealer to have it looked at. This is to be done tomorrow. The grille is not aligned properly. The gaps between it and the hood and headlights differ from side to side. Yet relative to the bumper, things look okay. The passenger side rear door is not aligned flush with the fender or the front door, standing proud of the fender, and set a bit deeper than the front door. The driver's side is fine. The car does not have a sunroof. Yet it was built with the control wheel in the headliner, which operates the sunroof. Sealant applications under the hood and in the trunk area are sloppy and clearly not applied in a controlled manner. Dash creaks have surfaced. The driver's door and trunk sound like an old screen door hinge that has not been lubricated in years when they are opened and closed. In short, I have to believe that quality controls or tooling on the assembly line in Chattanooga are sadly lacking. Oh, and this car was built shortly after the factory re-opened following the pandemic shutdown. So, I consider mine to be a Covid vehicle. I worked in a production environment, and I know how factories were re-started, with smaller crews, putting operators in positions that they were not familiar with. My guess is that a car built earlier in the model run would have been superior.

LOVE MY PASSAT

JEEPserviceSucks, 05/03/2021
R-Line 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I now have almost 10k miles on my Passat R Line. I get amazing service with free loaners, car washes etc from every dealership I have been too. No problems at all with my car. I have averaged 28 MPG combined city and highway with a lead foot. On regular unleaded as well. I am a big guy. 6'3" over 300lbs with very wide shoulders as I have to have a 54 long suit and I have plenty of room and the back seat is huge as is the trunk. For the money not a better car on the road. This is my run around car as I also have a big diesel truck. Love it.

Underwhelmed

Richard Maina, 09/22/2020
SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For a car with a $ 33000 msrp it rides like a cheaper car. Transmission shifts erratically and has many features that are very complicated!

Great car and good $ per Value

O, 12/21/2020
R-Line 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Looking for a family car that fits taller than average people, it's the best. My kids are 6.3 and 6.0, and I am 6.0 and have a great room in the back with plenty of room on both the driver and front passenger side. The power is a bit on the low end of the low RPM range, but it has good performance in the higher RPM ranges once you punch it. Good MPG. I get 30 - 33+ on the highway at 70 MPH. I will be using it to go skiing in the winter, and a rear folding seat is a good option for skis and gear.

Comfortable Cruiser

BRM, 03/03/2021
R-Line 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I was somewhat hesitant about buying a car based on such a...mature platform....but I the looks of the R-Line with the 2020 refresh were enough to at least make me want to test drive. Boy, was I surprised. Coming from a Tucson, it was nice to be back in a sedan and it handles like a dream. Suspension is great at smoothing out the ohio potholes, and the big R line wheels dont make it too firm. The driver assistance features work well, and are not terribly intrusive - adaptive cruise works especially well. The room inside is fantastic, and is actually more practical than my old suv. I can fit longer items in the back with seats down, and the rear legroom is NUTS. Overall, considering the nuts incentives that VW has on these, there was nothing close to it in terms of value and style. Some reviews mention odd transmission shifting, and while it can be occasionally slow to upshift, it is generally a non issue for me. The interior also gets complaints from people for being dated, but I like the layout and the simplicity of everything and not having a giant tablet stuck on top of the dash. Overall, great style and an excellent road trip car.

Too bad

Lewis, 10/23/2020
R-Line 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Hello Not long ago, Volkswagen purchased a new 20-year Passat R line with finance. Since August, my existing car broke down, so I was thinking about buying it, but I heard that there is a Korean dealer in Atlanta because I like Volkswagen, so we talked about it and thought about buying it. My grandfather passed away from late September to October, so I went to Korea in a hurry, but as I was re-entering Atlanta from Korea on Saturday, the 10th, I visited by Atlanta Volkswagen dealership to buy a car. I was told to write the contract first because the car I liked on the Internet was not stocked yet, so I test-drive the car with the same color option trim and bought it at the end of 5 hours and came back to Montgomery, Alabama. I had too much luggage. I came back home feeling complacent because I needed to adjust to the time difference and because I was in such a hurry to leave the company for a long time, and because I was in a test drive. When I arrived at home and I checked the exterior and interior of the car, and found that the car was not able to be restored with black marks and A-pillar scratch trunk hinges. I've been commuting to and from work, so the tire balance and wheel alignment didn't fit at all. When I told the dealer these facts because the rear parking aid (alarm) or the front vehicle operation brake (automatic deceleration) does not work properly and the wind noise or road noise is so severe if it exceeds 50 miles per hour, he was lucky in two hours, so he finished the inspection quickly and he said the Passat car was perfect . When I will come to Atlanta, he said he'd test-drive with me. What's more disgusting is that it's my first time buying a new car, so I didn't know the other options (accessories), so I thought it was the original condition that my car had no tints and leather protectors. So I asked the dealer how much tint it was and he said 399 dollars. Yeah, well, I thought that it's a new car, so I had to invest. But when I got home, I looked at the contract and found out that it should have basic tanning and leather seat protection. When I called the dealer, he said he was mistaken. He said he would do it when I will come up to Atlanta because of a car problem and tinting. I am so angry now and I think that I have no eye for people, not because of the Korean sentiment but because of the fact that there are a lot of discounts when purchasing cars in the U.S. since it is the end of the year with Corona. I'm glad I'm working in the quality department in the car manufacturing industry and my coworkers are familiar with cars. I almost fell for it thinking that I had a bad luck with the car I've written down all these facts, but can I get a refund or a car exchange if I tell Volkswagen headquarters about my claim or complaint? I feel so bad and I feel bad and annoyed when I ride a new car every day. Help me. The trim in the rear seat’s door does not fit at all and there are too many sealers in the driver's compartment. Obviously, this car has not been inspected properly or is a defective vehicle.

Good look and feel

Bobby M, 04/28/2021
SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My wife and I bought the 2020 Passat SEL a year ago at the beginning of the pandemic. In that year we have come to really enjoy the look and feel of the drive. The pluses: * Huge trunk space * huge back seat with back seat leg warmers * Automatic mirrors, * Passenger side power seats * easy and smooth ride * quiet ride unlike previous years models, literally really quiet the Bad * carnet wasn't installed, I was suppose to get 5 years free but they ended up not having it installed even thou I have the buttons for it. It is being installed tomorrow, a little more than a year since I bought it. * touch screen tech is sooo small for today's standards. They couldn't put in a 9 inch screen? * The car is slow to accelerate, you really have to step on the gas to get going. * Gas Mileage on the highway is rather fantastic, in the city, expect 23-24, on the highway, 35. The carnet thing was a huge bummer, but I would recommend this car.

My car of choice

Edna Siltman, Mason City, IL, 05/07/2021
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My first Passat was a 2008, driven to 230,000 miles. I knew I would eventually own another so when I found this 2020 Passat it was inevitable. Very pleased with the engineering and handling as well as overall look and luxury. Thank you Volkswagen.

Great midsize sedan

Gokhan.Kamber, 05/08/2021
S 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my 2020 Passat S model in October 2020 for only $17,500. Great value for this midsize sedan. It drives very well. It has enhanced torgue with 2.0 Turbo engine. It is very roomy and has good standard safety feautures. I drove it with 120 mph on the highway without hearing any noise and vibration. I also love it's super size roomy trunk. It has 4 years 50,000 warranty which has more than competitors except Hyundai Sonata. It also has good gas milage.

3 out of 5 stars

Not as hoped for, not what I paid for

I 95 commuter, 07/04/2021
SEL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Previously I owned a Passat wagon for 6 years, leased 2 CCs and am about to end a lease on a 2018 Passat SEL which was the top of the line Passat at the time - that's 15 years with VW. Though the Passat is a larger sedan for its class, sits higher and is less expensive than its cousin the Audi A4, my 3 year experience has been disappointing overall. Though it came loaded with options, its performance and the functionality of those extra options have been inconsistent. This car was made in TN, not Germany. I had no issues with the German made VW's. This Passats turbo needed replacing after 1 year - yes it was covered by warranty, yet for many months I experienced a lackluster drive, and it has never been consistently powerful since. To fold down the rear seats, you must pop the trunk to pull two seat release tabs which are in an inconvenient position- they should be on the top of the rear seats, not in the trunk, and the left side never worked consistently. The heated mirrors did not work. The push engine start button I learned is covered with thin metal plating or foil which one day had literally peeled into a triangular shape and cut my finger. This occurred during early Covid shut down, so I opted to cover the button with 5-6 layers of glass tape, which still remain. I never write reviews, but thought buyers should be aware. It's time to lease again, and I am looking elsewhere.

51050