Used 2003 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews

Used Alero for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...9

Pros
Cons

Not a bad second car

D. Ahart, 03/21/2009

Bought this car with about 21,000 on the odometer. Now has 53,000 mi. and so far it's still running well. The front tires seemed to wear down evenly, but quickly. Make sure you do tire rotations regularly. Love the way the Alero handles on dry road...even wet not too bad, but less than stellar in the snow.

2003 Alero

GrammaB, 03/22/2009

I bought this Alero from a dealership as a used vehicle with 11,000 miles on it. The fuel pump died at 58,000 miles, and the brakes had to be replaced once. All other expenses were my fault. This has been a great car. Gas mph averages about 24-26 mph, a bit more on highway. It has about 66,000 miles on it now. Sure am sorry GM discontinued Oldsmobiles! I am trading for a Chevy Malibu, hope I am not disappointed.

Awesum lil ride

Steven, 04/04/2009

I bought mine in 05 w/ 9,000 miles. now has 120,000. has NEVER let me down. Only minor maintenance costs so far except for the intake gasket, which the dealer covered. Ive customized mine with a new wing, body kit, tinted glass and fancy wheels, and it turns heads everywhere I take it. Both my sons are jealous and want me to hand over the title. (not gonna happen!!!)

Do not buy this car

dsh1127, 01/18/2008

I bought this car new in April 2003. It was a nice car until about 50,000 miles. At that point, my opinion on this car changed greatly! It started having one problem after another, and had so many squeaks, rattles and air leakage that you would think it was a 20 year old car. This car was in the shop so often that everyone knew me on a first name basis! The final problem was a major computer meltdown at 68,000 miles. I left it at the shop (unrepaired), got what I could for trade, and bought a used Nissan Maxima! Do not waste your money and time on an Alero!

Okay Car

Marissa, 06/16/2009

I purchased this car about 8 months ago and have put lots of mileage on it. I have replaced 2 front rotors and brakes and drivers side window regulators. The interior is made real cheap and you can tell, and stereo keys fell off within weeks of having the car, but it has been pretty much reliable. I would not buy another one, but its been okay while it lasted.

So far so good

sharon, 08/05/2009

My alero 2003 has been so far pretty good. Going on a 2,000 mile trip within the next couple of days. Only problem I have is front driver side tire seems to have problems - rotate every 2,500 miles and gas mileage not the greatest. Used to buy Fords but they have the worst paint jobs in my opinion. Rust out. Chev's never have rusted; my dad always bought Oldsmobile so thought I would take his advise.

Problems

Elly, 10/16/2009

I had to replace the intake. It was covered under warranty. Then my rear defroster broke. It would cost me $100 because it was not covered under warranty. Now five years later my valves need to be replaced in the engine. What a joke. No warning. It started cutting out one day. Also last year 2008, I had to replace the wheel barrings in it.

Not a big fan, overall

NeglectedMind, 09/08/2010

I have had so many problems with this vehicle, that it was really not worth the money I paid. I have replaced the brakes more often than I should have to, and have had numerous problems with the security system, that no one seems to be able to fix. I will take it into the shop, and they will temporarily fix the problem, and it will stop again. I have changed the spark plus, the ignition system, brakes, bearings, command start, and the clutch. It drives nicely when it is working, but not worth the money that I have had to put into it. All in all, I plan on buying a new car and ditching this lemon of an Olds. Do not buy!

Alero is a great car

johnpelder, 07/26/2002

Every aspect of this car has been outstanding. Fit and finish are first rate. The GX sport package is a great value, and the 5-speed getrag tranny is very tight and crisp. I'm not usually a fan of 4 cylinder engines, but the 2.2 ecotec is super smooth, yet still torquey.

Good as a Honda for thousands less

holly, 08/08/2002

I purchased my Alero after three years of debating between it and a Honda Accord. Though I have to admit the Honda seems more refined, it wasn't $5000 more refined than the Alero. I enjoy driving this car because of the big 16 inch wheels, the torquey V6, and the excellent 8 speaker sound system. Once I heard about the free 5 year warranty, it just didn't seem worth pursuing the Accord anymore. The only thing I would like changed about the Alero is the transmission's aggressiveness. At highway speeds, a downshift requires a substantial stab of the gas pedal. Overall, I love this car and plan to keep it for 200k miles.

12345...9