Used 2003 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews

Used Alero for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...9

Pros
Cons

Loving It!

Loving It!, 06/19/2008

I love this car. What I really wanted was a grand am but i couldn't get one due to my credit so i got the closest one to it. I absolutely love this car! It has about 111K on it, it has a few squeals in the front i think its just because I hit a pothole too hard and the ignition sticks a bit but nothing serious so far. I love that it has that sporty feel to it and it beats the hell out of my Mercury Tracer I had.

Great Car, so far.

Chris, 07/25/2008

I purchased my car from a private dealer that buys wrecked vehicles at auctions and repairs them. The fact that it had a salvage title made me a little weary but I couldn't complain for $4500 and only 32k miles. The only problem I've had so far is the wheel bearings at around 45k miles, could be from wreck. Although the motor is strong for a 4 banger it could use a little more power from the get go. A little tip for the gas mileage, buy a k&n air filter and use Lucas fuel injector cleaner every oil change, I was getting about 28 mpg average and now 33 mpg average. I have had a problem with hydroplaning in heavy rain even with brand new tires maybe because the car sits so low to the ground

Tough to trade in

Greg, 09/05/2008

I bought my Alero new and have had no problems with it at all. Anything that did go wrong was covered under warranty. Car has been so reliable that now 6 years into it, I'm having a hard time letting it go to trade in. I think I'm going to keep it. Handles great (I loaded the options when I ordered it). Only complaint is the V6 is a gas hog but makes up for it in the handling and power dept. Too bad Olds closed down.

Problems with Security System

voiceinharmony, 09/10/2008

I bought my car used with 25K on it. It has great power when you drive it but does not give very good gas mileage, about 28 mpg. After it hit 60K I started having problems with the Security System. Basically, my car could start. I was able to find out in the Manual that it has a Pass Lock Safety Lock. So in order to start the car you have to leave it on for 10 minutes on the ON ignition key. So far I've heard it may take $300 to fix the problem. I also have a click, click sound on my signals that won't go away.

Down with the quickness

ken, 10/01/2008

I bought my alero in march of 05, it had 73,000 miles now in Oct of 08 117456 no problems replaced front brakes a year ago tops, and one tune- up. V6, power everything 0-60 5.4sec pretty impressive. rides a little rough I thought mine did great in the snow. Unplowed country roads after 8 inches of snow never got it stuck. it is a glorified grand am i would definitely own another one

Not your old Olds

Mike, 11/01/2008

I bought this car used with 20k miles from a decent dealer. Have owned Olds before and was disappointed in the quality. At 80k miles, gets decent gas mileage both in town and on the road, 20/30. It's a small car and rides like it. Had the security key module replaced three time and then finally the on board computer, which is quite costly when out of warranty. Replaced the front strut assemblies as they were worn out by 40k miles. I would look for a foreign make instead of this.

2003 Olds Alero

alero_blues, 11/10/2008

I bought this Alero in 2004, for 12K being a year old with only 23K on it, seemed like a good deal. Still paying it off today, have had the front rotor replaced, brakes, tires, battery, fuel pump and windshield replaced. The only problem I keep on having is a small water leak into the fuse box from somewhere around the windshield area, had it replaced, was good for a year, then it started leaking after a 3 day rain. By this point I am tired of dealing with the cost of trying to find the problem and just want a car that doesn't leak. I love my Alero, but i need something that is a little less water loving. Great design, like the seat and stereo set up, even though car is compact and comfy.

My Oldmobile Alero

Kedibee, 11/12/2008

I bought this car in 2006 with 63,000 miles on it. I have driven it for exactly two years now and have changed both bearings in front two times. Right now, it looks like I need to change them again. I will be driving it for straight 1700 miles, of course with sleeping breaks as long as 6 hours. I will know after this trip if this car is truly a good one.

Basic GM Econo-box

Jeff, 11/24/2008

I purchased this car in 2005 with about 20,000 miles on it. It was an ex-rental from California. I now have have about 63,250 miles on it and it has/had some problems. The passlock had to be replaced ($460), the suspension starts squeaking annually and I have to take it to the dealer to get it lubricated, and the CD player only takes CDs when it wants to. The 3.4L V6 is nothing to write home about either at 170HP. Based from what I've read, I've been lucky with this car. My dashboard hasn't started peeling and I haven't had to replace any pumps or bearings. Although functional, the interior seems cheesy. Also, this car can't handle in the snow. The rear end gives out even with good tires.

Car has been great so far

BJ, 11/25/2008

I have had the ignition problem but seems to have gone away after taking all keys off except house key and ignition. I have 120k on it and have only replaced front hubs at 86k and fuel pump at 96k. Everything else works great and I love the rds stereo system. I use synthetic oil and have had the car since it had 56k on the odom. I get 26 in town and 34 on the highway with the 2.2 4cly as long as I drive it easy.

12345...9