Skip to main content
$38,490

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your trim:

1 out of 5 stars

In the shop the first week of ownership

Rach2134, 08/31/2022
2023 Kia Sportage Plug-In Hybrid X-Line 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 6A)

I think I’m one of the first to own the PHEV X-Line Sportage. I already have a 22’ Jeep PHEV that has 0 issues in 5 months. The Kia I’ve had a little over a week and have only driven it a few times. It has warning lights coming on and off each day. Also the power in electric mode is good, and then I can floor it and goes nowhere ti where you know it needs service. I have it at the second Kia service dept so far. Right now it’s in the shop and the entire dash has been removed to figure out why I’m getting transmission code errors. What a mess. I’m gonna take a small loss and dump it. Wish I didn’t sell my CX-9 Carbon for this. The pro are the seats are comfy, its spacious (not as much as gas models), it’s quiet with minimal mirror noise, and the screen is very cool. Cons; Even when the car was working the power was so so, the armrest is solid rock so I got a super comfy arm rest on Amazon, the piano black interior gets finger prints so fast.

3 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars

Almost Perfect

Kyle Morgan, 10/21/2022

I managed to pick up a 23 PHEV Sportage on September 16th. I love it. I had an upper trim Soul, but while it had more features than the base X-line PHEV Sportage, it is not nearly as refined to drive. I mainly chose the Sportage for looks and features, and since I've had a good long history, since 1996, with Hyundai and Kia. I needed something that could tow a bit, and this fit the bill. I considered the gas-only trim, but heard it was somewhat underpowered. Then I looked at the specs for the mild hybrid version. But then I realized that the plug-in hybrid qualified for over $6K in federal tax rebate (I was lucky enough to have a signed buyers order prior to Biden nixing the rebate on imported plug-in hybrids). That made the price of the plug-in hybrid about even vs the gas-only version with the same trim level. I have a short commute to work, and usually can drive to and from work on electric only. Based on my electric rates, it costs me about $0.08 per mile to run in EV mode, vs $0.13 - $0.18 per mile for gas the Kia Soul for the same sort of trips. That's assuming $3.88 per gallon. My main design complaints are that the headlights aren't bright enough, and that it doesn't come with wireless Android Auto or Apple Carplay. The former problem will be fixed when I install the OEM fog lights I bought that are standard on the Prestige model. The second was fixed with a less-than-$100 adapter. It is very odd, however, that there's a wireless charging pad built into the center console, yet you're forced to plug your phone into the USB port to use AA or Carplay? Yet on the base LX model, you have wireless AA and Carplay, but no wireless QI charger? Seems like two different teams were working on each feature (head unit and charger) and didn't work well together! The 1.6T ICE engine is slightly unrefined-sounding when running. But since generally I'm driving at low speed on electric only, or I'm on the highway with the engine running and the tire and wind noise mask it for the most part. The mechanical choice that could have been better was the heating system. As it is, the ICE engine has to be warm to use cabin heating - it has to run to warm the coolant. Oddly enough, the air conditioner compressor is driven electrically, and *doesn't* need the ICE motor to be running. I don't know why Kia didn't turn the air conditioning system into an electrically powered heat pump using a reversible motor. Those handful of things are what kept me from giving it a 5 star review. But I'm still very happy with my choice of cars.

Love this Car

First Kia, 10/21/2022

Great layout. Power is great. Nice looking car. Already 5000 miles and not an issue to be found

Love this vehicle!

VC2022, 11/22/2022
2023 Kia Sportage Plug-In Hybrid X-Line Prestige 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 6A)

I had been looking for a hybrid or a plug-in hybrid at a good price. My first choice was a Toyota Rav4 hybrid BUT was also held back by the lack of tech and no new real design by Toyota. Then the Kia Sportage became available and WoW! The tech is amazing, it is EXTREMELY quiet, very comfortable and responsive. If I had to give it one CON, is the MPG is still hovering around 28-35 which is not bad, but I have yet to see it at 38.