Skip to main content
$38,690

Save as much as $1,919
Select your trim:

5 out of 5 stars

Things other reviews dont tell you. -

Bruce M., 12/27/2022
2023 Kia Sportage Plug-In Hybrid X-Line Prestige 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 6A)

A long review of things you may not have heard about on this vehicle . I have 1200 miles in a month on the car. prestige trim phev. Just back from LA to SF trip. Up interstate 5 and back on 101 with a sidebar trip to Morro Bay Area. Wife doesnt commute so normally is in all electric mode and we charge every night with a 240v home charger. If empty on juice, it charges in just under 2 hours. It does get the approximate 30 miles on EV only . However, when starting the car in the morning, it remembers it is in EV mode. But the Gas engine comes on and stays on for about 3 minutes. I am assuming it is needed to warm the engine to make heat? The dealer told me it needs to warm up the catalytic converter for regulatory reasons. Not sure this is true. After 3 minutes it goes back to EV mode but then about 3 minutes later, the gas engine starts again for no reason and runs for about a minute. Then it's off till the battery is drained. But driving around after that on multiple stop start short trips the car stays in EV mode no problem. Mileage you say? Well on a road trip up the 5 going about 75mph most of the way we got 28 mpg. coming back on the 101 going about 65-70mph it got 32 mpg. Way better than my 2019 Mazda CX5 which got 22mpg on the same trip. If you drive say a 60 mile trip with some city and highway driving with a full charge, you will get about 80 mpg. Here is another tidbit. The gas tank only holds just under 12 gallons. Not a lot. So a full tank and full EV max range will be aproximately 350 miles on a longer mixed road trip. What else does it need? It would be great to have some sort of LED light around the EV plug. In the dark it's hard to see the plug receptacle and you have to poke around with the plug to get it in the holes. A glow in the dark white plastic could work too. Kia, make a note. Car does always reserve about 20% of the battery charge so even on the freeway if you are braking or flat or downhill, it switches to EV mode. Seems to default to the ECO drive mode and you have to put in in Automatic mode. I like auto mode better as it seems to give a little more power to the gas pedal when needed. Sport mode clearly cranks up the acceleration if you need it, but I think it has plenty with auto or even eco mode unless you are a racer. Clearly this car is very thought out and has a few other things to note: It's noisy in highway driving especially on expansion crack cement roads. Wind noise is also quite noticeable at freeway speeds. And you really feel the bumps in the road if it is cement. A smooth asphalt freeway makes the ride great, but it does that in most cars. The Mazda and my Ioniq5 ride much smoother and are very quiet compared to this car. It's to bad Kia didn't make this ride more compliant and quiet the cabin down with better insulation and double glazed glass. Especially the top of the line prestige model for 50k should have done better in these regards. On surface streets in decent shape it rides quite well and is quiet , so it's really a freeway driving issue. The safety features work fantastic as does the display and tech in the car. I have a Hyundai Ioniq5 and they are identical . Highway assist driving works really well but you do have to keep your hands on the wheel or the car will beep and disengage after about 1 minutes or so. Voice controls work great and can do lots of things including temperature adjustment. Many reviewers complain that the haptic display panel is either set to climate controls or to audio controls. You can choose which you want as the default by holding down either "emblem" for 3 seconds. You can still change modes but it will go back to your default. . I choose climate control as the default and it is really what driver and passenger can adjust with depending on need so better IMO. (Climate control in the car works quite well although on the cold freeway drive today in the rain, I had to bump it up to 74 degrees where normally 72 degrees is perfect.) ALL of the audio controls are easily done on the steering wheel which is safer than reaching for the haptic controls. This is why Kia did this and felt you dont need redundant haptic controls for both climate and audio. Once you have your station presets done, you dont need to use the haptic panel anymore for audio. You can still use the huge touch screen for anything, so you have many choices on how to operate all the functions. So really, this "Issue" that so many complain about is easily solved and not an issue once you learn it, and get used to how to use the car in my opinion. Inside, really looks luxury all around. Nicely done Kia. Fit and finish is excellent and attention to detail is abundant wherever you look. BUT... I wish they had a bit more soft material instead of hard plastic on the front area. Especially on the center console where on the sides your knee/leg leans on when driving. It's hard plastic and a soft plastic is way better for comfort. Plus soft plastic absorbs more "sound" to make the cabin quieter which is something this car could use as well. My Mazda signature CX5 had EVERYTHING soft so it works. (A piece of self adhesive neoprene from Amazon for 5 bucks solved the issue knee plastic issue for me if you are interested) Space in the car is the best. Way more than the Mazda CX5 both in cargo and in seating comfort and legroom. I also found the front seats more comfortable than Mazda on the long trip by a long shot. My only seat complaint is why they dont use leather seats in front for the top of the line trim. That is the ONE thing the Hyundai Tucson PHEV top of line trim DOES have that KIA does not. So you are sitting on plastic and it can get hot. Good news is ventilated seats do help and these work well, but leather is much cooler to sit on than plastic. Cmon Kia, you have leather in all your other cars so what's up with this? Did some night driving in the pitch black wilderness roads of Morro Bay Area and the headlights work great including the audio "bright" headlights feature which even dim when you approach a car from the rear , not just for ongoing cars. So again, many high end luxury features executed really well in this car. Audio quality from the higher end Harmon system sounds excellent especially at higher volumes. However it is missing the "cabin noise cancelling" feature my Bose system in Ioniq 5 has and this car could use it. Two other gripes...Kia and Hyundai need to address is that the car does NOT have walk away door locking. You have to push the button on the key fob or door handle or on the kia connect app to lock the car. Many other cars have walk away proximity locking, including Mazda. Seems like this should be a software update? Also... no power folding mirrors on a 50k car? It seems the international versions of this car have them. Why were they left off the American model??? And also, NO auto day night mirror unless it is a dealer ordered option from the factory. It is not on the high end model as standard which is Crazy! I bought the OEM one at dealer and it is quite complicated to install and they charged me $200 bucks to do it and it took 3 hours of waiting. Mirror part itself was 300 dollars. So keep in mind if you want this feature and it was not ordered on your car. Still gets 5 stars and no regrets. The best PHEV around today!

Love this vehicle!

VC2022, 11/22/2022

I had been looking for a hybrid or a plug-in hybrid at a good price. My first choice was a Toyota Rav4 hybrid BUT was also held back by the lack of tech and no new real design by Toyota. Then the Kia Sportage became available and WoW! The tech is amazing, it is EXTREMELY quiet, very comfortable and responsive. If I had to give it one CON, is the MPG is still hovering around 28-35 which is not bad, but I have yet to see it at 38.

Almost Perfect

Kyle Morgan, 10/21/2022
2023 Kia Sportage Plug-In Hybrid X-Line 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric plug-in hybrid 6A)

I managed to pick up a 23 PHEV Sportage on September 16th. I love it. I had an upper trim Soul, but while it had more features than the base X-line PHEV Sportage, it is not nearly as refined to drive. I mainly chose the Sportage for looks and features, and since I've had a good long history, since 1996, with Hyundai and Kia. I needed something that could tow a bit, and this fit the bill. I considered the gas-only trim, but heard it was somewhat underpowered. Then I looked at the specs for the mild hybrid version. But then I realized that the plug-in hybrid qualified for over $6K in federal tax rebate (I was lucky enough to have a signed buyers order prior to Biden nixing the rebate on imported plug-in hybrids). That made the price of the plug-in hybrid about even vs the gas-only version with the same trim level. I have a short commute to work, and usually can drive to and from work on electric only. Based on my electric rates, it costs me about $0.08 per mile to run in EV mode, vs $0.13 - $0.18 per mile for gas the Kia Soul for the same sort of trips. That's assuming $3.88 per gallon. My main design complaints are that the headlights aren't bright enough, and that it doesn't come with wireless Android Auto or Apple Carplay. The former problem will be fixed when I install the OEM fog lights I bought that are standard on the Prestige model. The second was fixed with a less-than-$100 adapter. It is very odd, however, that there's a wireless charging pad built into the center console, yet you're forced to plug your phone into the USB port to use AA or Carplay? Yet on the base LX model, you have wireless AA and Carplay, but no wireless QI charger? Seems like two different teams were working on each feature (head unit and charger) and didn't work well together! The 1.6T ICE engine is slightly unrefined-sounding when running. But since generally I'm driving at low speed on electric only, or I'm on the highway with the engine running and the tire and wind noise mask it for the most part. The mechanical choice that could have been better was the heating system. As it is, the ICE engine has to be warm to use cabin heating - it has to run to warm the coolant. Oddly enough, the air conditioner compressor is driven electrically, and *doesn't* need the ICE motor to be running. I don't know why Kia didn't turn the air conditioning system into an electrically powered heat pump using a reversible motor. Those handful of things are what kept me from giving it a 5 star review. But I'm still very happy with my choice of cars.

Amazing tech, decent ride

CSH _ SD, 05/18/2023

I immediately fell in love with the X-Line Prestige’s interior appointment and its gorgeous matte grey exterior. The seats were comfortable. The driving experience was fine. Better in the Plug-in Hybrid over the standard hybrid. I’m no performance car driver, leaving a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, but I noticed that the vehicle feels heavy and not super fast. Ultimately I decided against purchasing it because the EV range wasn’t sufficient to my needs and the gas mileage plus the small gas tank didn’t make up for it. But for sheer beauty and style, the Sportage delivers.

3 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars

5 out of 5 stars

Fun car with distinctive exterior & interior style

Aman Gupta, Santa Clara, CA, 05/04/2023

I bought this car a month back and have driven about 1300 miles on it. Drive Experience: This has been fairly positive. Car runs smooth and interior noise is minimum. I really enjoy the power in this vehicle, and the car can reach 0-60mph in 7-8 sec which is decent for the 261hp engine. PHEV: I get around 33-34 miles with EV only. The range actually depends on your driving style a lot. A lot pf people complain about car not running on EV mode with heater on. This is bummer, but I guess its not too bad given your gas in the tank gets used once in a while due to this feature. Also, you can drive on all EV, with heated seats and heated steering wheel which doesn't use gas. AC can run on electric only. Interior: They are simply great. For the money, I think Sportage Plug-IN Hybrid X-Line Prestige has excellent interiors. Again, I heard a lot of people complain about the selection panel on the screen - you have to choose between temperature and music control on the same panel. It got some getting used to, but it is not a deal breaker for me. Safety: One the reason I was interested in this car was the safety features and they haven't disappointed so far. Self drive, lane assist, blind spot monitors and all the other safety features are very helpful. The blind spot cameras appear in the odometer circle, which takes some getting used to but is actually very convenient once you get a feel for it. Comfort: Seats are comfortable - not too soft, not too hard. The seat leather in the Prestige trim is breathable. I am 6 feet tall and I did not have any issue with the headroom while driving. Also, while seating behind the headroom is a bit less but the Sportage comes with a feature of recliner rear seats which is very useful on long drives. The car overall is roomy and comfortable. Music and display: Sound is great with HK speakers. I like the sleek display very much. Some people complain about the display icons to be very dull and not visible. I completely disagree with that statement. I think they go very well with the feel of the car. Misc.: Looks are great. Exterior color selection is good. I would highlight that car only comes with Level2 charge support, so if you are using a public charger it takes almost 2 hours to get a full charge of 40 miles on this car. But, if you want to use a 110V home charger then overnight charging should do it. Overall I would highly recommend this car to people looking for compact SUV with a decent daily commute to work which can be done in all electric. Kia gives a lot of features at an affordable price and have come a long way as a brand.