Used 2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
Which Sierra 2500HD does Edmunds recommend?
The 2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD is a heavy-duty pickup truck available in four trim levels. The base (Sierra) version comes with basic equipment such as vinyl flooring and steel wheels, but you'll get a lot more if you pick the SLE, SLT or the range-topping Denali. On upper trim levels, items such as a remote-locking tailgate, leather upholstery and navigation become available.
Edmunds' Expert Review
- Powerful diesel engine option
- Immense hauling and towing capabilities
- Solid build quality
- Rougher ride than competing 2500 series heavy-duty trucks
- Visibility compromised by thick pillars and small mirrors
- The brakes don't inspire much confidence
- Regular-cab Sierra 2500HD is no longer available
- Short-bed Double Cab model removed from the 2500HD lineup
- Part of the third Sierra HD generation introduced for 2014
The 6.6-liter diesel V8 gives the Sierra 2500HD big towing numbers and impressive acceleration. Steering and braking are less awe-inspiring, but objectively this truck performs well by most standards that matter to truck buyers.
It has a harsh ride from the stiff and bouncy suspension. But as heavy-duty trucks go, the Sierra HD is relatively comfortable. Put a big load back there and you'll have a road-trip-ready vehicle. But day-to-day comfort suffers, so you might want a 1500 if you don't need the 2500's extra towing capacity.
While it might not be the most luxurious vehicle in the class, this 2500HD has a totally livable interior. The overall design is dated, but the materials quality is sufficient.
The 2500HD can tow and haul massive loads, and it has abundant interior storage. But offerings from Ford and Ram outclass it in a couple of key categories.
Using GMC's tech interface is pretty simple upfront for the most part, but we had several usability issues with our test vehicle. The finicky voice controls and subpar device integration made for a frustrating user experience.
Most helpful consumer reviews
Denali 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)
An incredibly powerful and proven truck. Super happy with every aspect of the truck except the dated built in nav functionalities. It is too cumbersome to use while driving. Full cell phone integration overcomes this. Diesel/Allison tyranny combo is powerful but quiet. Denali trim makes for a very comfortable ride. My friends said it is like riding in a giant very comfortable luxury car. Lots of places to plug in all of your mobile gadgets.
Features & Specs
Our experts like the Sierra 2500HD models:
- OnStar Telematics
- Includes features such as roadside assistance, remote door unlocking, stolen-vehicle assistance and turn-by-turn navigation.
- Lane Departure Warning
- Alerts the driver when he or she is leaving the lane, which can be especially helpful on such a big truck.
- Teen Driver Mode
- Uses custom vehicle settings associated with a specific key fob to limit certain driving features such as vehicle speed and radio volume.