2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Consumer Review: Gone for a reason

2008 Mercury Grand Marquis - Consumer Review

2008 Mercury Grand Marquis

LS Sedan (4.6L V8 FFV 4-speed Automatic)

Gone for a reason
By j_rob82 on

2008 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I write this tonight as we have just sold our 2008 Grand Marquis LS. It's pillowy ride can lead to car sickness if you drive it on a curvy road. It wallows and bounces up and down like an ocean liner in a bad storm. Speaking of storms, it does horrible in adverse weather and to top it all off, we had a few quality concerns, though the drivetrain has ran flawlessly. Our previous Mercury, a '97 Sable, was the exact opposite experiance. The ride and handling were ballanced well and traction was never a problem. It also seemed to have more leg room which is why we sold the Grand Marquis and are purchasing a 2012 Taurus tomorrow. The quality of the leather alone in the Taurus is 10X that in the G

Rear wheel drive great for doing burnouts, but other than that, uselsss in everyday driving. I got compliments from a late teens/early 20s black guy expressing his desire to put 24" wheels on it. Not kidding.

Do what they have already done, replace it with the new-design Taurus. The quality is so much better, the fit/finish, the smell and feel of the leather, how hushed the cabin is without any rattles or squeeks. There is a reason the Grand Marquis is out of production, and any one's question to that fact would be answered by a drive in the car that replaced it.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By topvalueguy
on 09/26/15 22:56 PM (PDT)

Mine handles quite well. My son had a 2001 and I had a 2004. The 2004 was night and day better handling than the 2001, due to a model year 2003 suspension upgrade. I also have Michelin Symmetry tires all the way around and the ride is smooth and quiet. If yours didn't handle well, I wonder if you perhaps had cut price tires on it, or possibly too low tire pressure. Proper inflation can sometimes firm up a ride that has gone soft.

By lesabrelover
on 10/28/15 13:12 PM (PDT)

From this review I can tell that the writer is not used to driving a rear wheel drive vehicle. I've been driving 41 years and have owned 3 Grand Marquis and never got sea sick. And as someone else said, you have to have good tires in them> I put Firestone Ecopia's on and I inflate about 3 pounds more than recommended which helps gas mileage and makes the ride a littler firmer. If you make a mentl note of how many cars you see on the road that are more than 8 or 9 or 20 years old you'll see that a very high percentage of them are Grand Marquis. That should tell you something.