2003 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Review: Don't buy into the disgruntled

2003 Land Rover Freelander - Consumer Review

Don't buy into the disgruntled naysayers
By Freelander02 on

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got one of the first Freelanders in the USA. The people who have had problems are very vocal, as is human nature... but there are TONS of these running around with no problems at all. If you want something to just drive and ignore, don't get one. If you plan to get something for ENJOYMENT you'll love this thing. I routinely go off-road and in all the trips I've done I've run right around stuck Jeeps, Discoveries and made a Defender look silly trying to climb a hill behind me. Some of the info on Edmunds is wrong though- Do your homework to get more accurate info.

Heated windscreen is the best invention in recent automotive history. The traction control is amazing if you know how to use it. It's actually quite quick if you use sport mode on the trans or manually shift.

The tyres they come with on the 17" rims are great- the ones on the 16" wheels are terrible. To go off-road, you really need more aggressive tyres. The KV6 engine is so high tech it's unbelievable, but the HP and torque aren't what they should be.