Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Volt

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (71 reviews )

The best Car we have ever owned
By lock11

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

We just retired. The key to a successful retirement was to control our expenses. I decided to invest in some Green solutions. First we installed a Solar Array on our roof. Then I researched electric Cars. The only one that answered the question "What happens when I run out of Juice?" was the Volt. I paid 20, thousand for a 2012 with 20 thousand miles. It was loaded. I got a Tax credit of $7500. so net out the door was $12,500 not a bad price. WE charge it and it goes, no problems and it is the most dependable car ever. So far it has cost me an additional $O to operate.

Favorite Features

There are a few. Quiet, smooth, comfortable and has no maintenance to speak of. I know a man that has 212,000 on his Volt and they checked his original Brakes, No wear. No transmission , no real fears. The "Re-Generator" slows the car down, not the brakes.

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can not think of any

Can't wait to Drive it
By breggers

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I bought this 2012 model off lease at 17500 mi, and have had it for 1000 miles. So far I have used 6.3 gallons of gas total, that is no exaggeration. I am excited to get in this car and drive it every day. It drives like a dream, completely silent except for the top notch sound system on which I am playing XM jazz. In the Wisconsin spring, when no climate control is needed, I am getting 43 miles on a charge, which easily handles my 24 mile round trip commute. I take care of this thing like it's a Maserati, I always have a microfiber in my hand. I always chuckle at all the Priuses I pass struggling to get 55 mpg, burning gas with every mile.

Favorite Features

While not a luxury car, it has many small luxuries, including the leather seating and steering wheel which I think is higher quality than my Infiniti SUV. The navigation is very good, the sound system is easily the best I have ever had. Plus little things like the auto heated seats (yes auto - never had that in my Lexus) and and child window locks that still allow you to control the windows and the auto locking doors. Some things are cheap like the feel of the door handles and the window glass, which always seems to be dirty, but I love the car anyway. Why anyone would buy a smart car or a prius instead of a Volt is beyond me.

Suggested Improvements

I can't wait to trade it in one day for a 2016 model.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By mcgoody

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Bought this car brand new on New Year's Eve 2012. After 2 years of ownership I am nothing but impressed. I've owned many different makes and models and this is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. Lifetime MPG is 228, with over 39K on the ODO (33K+ Elec. mi.). Service has been minimal; oil changes and tire rotations. I'm over 6 feet tall and have no issue in the driver's seat. Those behind me are snug, but it's doable. Car is designed well, solid inside and out, and is extremely reliable. Being in the mtns I was concerned for weather. No problem. The centered weight of the car makes it phenomenal in snow and great on ice. I really don't work for GM, I promise. :)

Favorite Features

Savings on gas (i.e. - filling up every 2-3 months vs. every week), instant torque/power from pedal to wheels, unlike other EV's... I can drive this car across the country like a regular vehicle and never concern myself with range, the tech in the car is unlike anything else, it draws a lot of conversation from strangers

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in the back seats, needs to be a 5 seater, new price vs. depreciation is terrible, power front seats, better marketing from GM (you guys missed the mark promoting Volt), shorten/redesign the front air dam (scrapes on everything)

Leased for 2 years. Loved every minute.
By cargirl88

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I jumped on a 24-month lease deal that my Chevy dealer was offering to promote this car. I'm coming up on my 30k mi limit and will be turning the Volt in come May. I will miss it. At the end of those 30k, I will have averaged about 110mpg - saving me around $2500 in gas alone from my previous car's 28mpg average (VW Jetta). This was about 7 months' worth of payments ;) I don't know of any other car that can offer this kind of gas savings. I didn't buy because the concept is so new (and expensive), but for the 2 years I had it, it was a pleasure. In a few years, after consistent production and refining, I will most definitely consider buying.

Favorite Features

Unbelievably quiet. It's really something to drive it on EV power down a quiet road. A very cool experience. Accelerates flawlessly. 0-60mph in about 8.5 seconds - not bad for a "lame" hybrid ;) Just plain fun to drive Great exterior styling. My Volt got more looks that any sports car. It's something of a car unicorn - everyone has heard of it but no one has actually seen one. A great conversation starter. Tight turning. It will park and fit anywhere. Surprisingly great in snow! Due to the huge battery in the center, weight is distributed evenly and makes for a safe drive on slick roads. The "power-flow" visual - understanding exactly how much energy you're using in real-time.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem I ever had was with the charging port failing at around 18k, but it was under warranty and fixed by the dealer with no question. The heater is very slow to warm up when on EV power only. The center console layout is busy and pretty confusing. Lots of unnecessary buttons. It's obvious that GM spent the majority of the Volt's efforts on the EV capability and not the interior design. Seats are rather stiff and plastic-feeling.

Excellent car but beware if you have an accident!
By urbanlegend711

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have been really impressed with the car overall. It has great acceleration, handles beautifully and didn't give me a single problem in 1.5 years and 22k miles. I had a minor front-end collision in September and the car still ran when I left it. Apparently because it's a hybrid the electronics need to be disconnected for welding. The car went to a dealer to have this done, the body shop then repaired it, but now...2 and a half months later, the dealer cannot get the car to run at all. Repairs appear to be very involved, expensive and risky with this car.

Favorite Features

Really cool styling, excellent handling, great acceleration, Volt display for fuel efficiency, excellent navigation, Bose sound system rocks, comfortable and stylish interior.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to figure out how to repair this car in the event of accidents. It's a great car and a wonderful move toward making electric vehicles livable, but GM dropped the ball on foreseeing potential repair needs. Hopefully they can get this resolved and make the Volt a truly exceptional vehicle.