Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (80 reviews )

Might just want to walk..
By binarydos@gmail.com

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Honestly it's not all bad.. there are some good parts to this car.. As far as american cars go, it has no squeaks, no rattles, no broken electronics, no issues with interior pieces breaking. It's pretty surprising like that.. The ride quality is amazing, it is smooth, quiet, and pretty nimble in the dry weather.. The Snow performance is about as bad as it gets, my Mustang GT was better, my 1985 Mustang is better.. Generally drive that if it is going to snow.. When you drive it in the summer you get decent AC, and a quiet nice ride.. This car IMO is not a good car for people who live in cold climates.. It gets horrible MPG if you like heat.. and if it snows, it's not the going, it's the stopping, .. simply it wont.. Reliability.. Lack of completely.. i traded in a 2001 Sienna with 379K miles on it, which i would take back today if they still had it.. So far i have owned it for 4K miles.. I have put about the same on courtesy cars. It has been in a total of 48 days for repairs.. So far.. (It's at the dealer right now as i write this) 1. Ignition module, can can't find the key if you charge the car at night. (replaced the ignition module and fixed the issue for 2 weeks.) 2. Ignition module, and steering dead spot while driving on the highway.. (TSB on this, replaced under warranty, new ignition module, OK for 2 weeks) 3. Ignition module, Steering column issue returned, no turn signals, no start in very cold. (All fixed under warranty, new ignition module) 4. Ignition module, Electrical issue shorted out my house while charging, as well as a Voltec charging station (Under warranty, replaced ignition module, replaced the inverter, replaced, the charge port, replaced charge port door, and charge port sensor. (-1500.00 for electrician to fix my home) 5. Ignition Module, Front clunk from strut mounts, rust issue under hood, no heat in the winter, and extremely bad MPG. (Replaced ignition module, and gave me 3 new keys and batteries, replaced the front strut mounts, replaced the hood and repainted it to match the car, can't explain the 9MPG in the cold) 6. Oil leak, coolant leak, and issues with over heating engine in -15 degree weather. (Replaced the Oil pan gasket, Coolant line for the battery cooler, and head gasket (at 14K miles) ) 7. exhaust leak into cabin, loud engine, sounds like rocks in a drier while running gas, brake squeak in the right rear brake, ebrake sticking, mileage is extremely lessened in the winter, way bellow the EPA estimate, Ignition Module. (Dealer replaced leaking exhaust manifold gasket, engine sounds like rocks in it due to oil starvation and needs to have the engine replaced, brake was sticking in the rear right, front battery bank over heated.. needs to be replaced, Ignition module needs to be replaced again, will get the car back likely in March.. ) If you don't live in the Cold climates, i would imagine most of these things would not happen.. Also if you have owned Toyota, or Honda, do NOT trade it in for anything american, while they are better than they were, they are NO WHERE NEAR as good as Honda and Toyota as per reliability.. Resale Value: Honestly, the car's value sinks faster than the Titanic.. You will shell out 18-20 certified pre-owned.. In 6 months it's worth 8-10, and in 12 months you are looking at 6K.. It's resale is horrific.. Buy a moped.. You'd be better off.. MPG: Charging cost in summer - 48cents per full charge at .06 per kilo watt hour. Charging in the winter - 6.00 per full charge due to the battery warmer, it's expensive to charge in the winter, 6.00 at .06 cents per kilowatt hour. All Gas Winter driving MPG - (Less than 35 Degrees - 12MPG, More than 35 Degrees 23MPG) All Gas Summer Driving MPG - (under 75 degrees - 38MPG, over 75 degrees 32MPG) All electric range Summer - 42 Miles per charge All electric range Winter - 9 Miles per charge (with heat on) All electric range winter - 14 Miles per charge (No heat) So there it is, while it is a nice thing to drive when it works, it is horrific in reliability.. The saving grace is the dealerships for GM are very nice around my area, and while i hate the GM product line, they have always had me in a car to get back and forth to work.. Unfortunately, after driving nearly every GM in the product line as a loaner car, i have to be honest, i can't see ever buying any GM product, unless it is a Vette..

Gas saver
By Dale todd

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I bought this 2012 as a leftover on the lot in late 2013. Dealership titled it to save the tax deduction thus making it a used car with 800 miles. I own a pharmacy and we make deliveries for customers. I installed a rapid charger at Rx for about $600.00 and avg 220 mpg. I go months without fueling up. Plug ins are great for the right person and situation. In SC the weather does not impact the charge range as bad as up north. Worst I have had is 38 miles vs 44 in summer. Overall it is a great vehicle so far. No issues other than a recall notice I received and dealership handled. Not even sure what it was it gave me no problem.

Don't buy into the hype...
By T. Lewis

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I bought this car because my husband is a Prius owner and we have become gas snobs over the last few years. The car was pricey for a Chevy (this is my first American brand car), but with the fuel economy rating (99 mpg is what the tag said), I figured it would pay for itself soon. I live in Cincinnati and bought the car in the summer. The battery gave me about 50 miles per charge and I was filling up once a month. Once the winter hit, the car ran mostly on gas (the engine had to come on to warm the car) and my battery miles were reduced to 28-31 miles per charge and my fill ups were weekly instead of monthly. In short, in the winter months, I am averaging around 40 mpg. I considered trading it in this year (the car is 3 years old with 40k miles) and discovered that the trade in value of the car is @ $12k, which is a considerable depreciation from the $38k price tag 3 years ago. Huge let down.

Just be prepared for the keyless remote going dead
By Dave

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Bought my 2012 Chevy Volt with 34K miles about 6 weeks ago. As quiet as the 3 Toyota Camrys I've owned. Great acceleration (considering I've only owned 4-cylinder cars), and love, love, love the fact I can drive round trip to work on zero gas. LD trips out of State (Atlanta, 280 miles) I can easily get 35+mpg, or 45ish if I drive 70, and use the normal setting for all uphill / mountain, and "mountain" for all downhill/flat. My ONE complaint occurred this weekend, when my keyless remote was suddenly (and without any prior warning) not picked up by the car. Luckily there is a key entry in the driver door, but no way to start the car using that key. Was stuck 10 miles from home with nobody available to get a ride. Bought two replacement batteries, but no change. Finally sat in the car for 15 minutes tapping my remote until suddenly the car recognized the remote and would start. From now on, I've hidden a second remote with batteries removed (plus 3 batteries) in a small bag inside the car. If this happens again (and it has) and the remote stops working, I can access the second, slap in a battery, and hopefully get this thing started. There really needs to be SOME option for starting the car using the key.

Beware as they age....
By S. Moore

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

what started out as a love affair has turned into a headache/nightmare. My volt started out great but as it has aged it seems to be heading into the service dept more and more for repairs. Chevy has covered all of these repairs under warranty even though my car is well past the 3yr/36k mile point without a fight which leads me to believe that I am not the only owner experiencing these sort of problems. When I called to complain about the more and more frequent service dept visits, GM CS told me I really don have anything about as they have covered all the repairs even though my car is long out of warranty. While I appreciate that, I really don like that the service dept at my local dealership know me by sight. I really hate that I have fallen out of love with it, handles well, incredible acceleration, quiet and awesome gas mileage....well over 500mpg. Down side is repeated service visits and a lot of time in a loaner car as they fix mine. Really wonder what the long term will bring.

• SUV