Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (69 reviews )

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By mcgoody

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Bought this car brand new on New Year's Eve 2012. After 2 years of ownership I am nothing but impressed. I've owned many different makes and models and this is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. Lifetime MPG is 228, with over 39K on the ODO (33K+ Elec. mi.). Service has been minimal; oil changes and tire rotations. I'm over 6 feet tall and have no issue in the driver's seat. Those behind me are snug, but it's doable. Car is designed well, solid inside and out, and is extremely reliable. Being in the mtns I was concerned for weather. No problem. The centered weight of the car makes it phenomenal in snow and great on ice. I really don't work for GM, I promise. :)

Favorite Features

Savings on gas (i.e. - filling up every 2-3 months vs. every week), instant torque/power from pedal to wheels, unlike other EV's... I can drive this car across the country like a regular vehicle and never concern myself with range, the tech in the car is unlike anything else, it draws a lot of conversation from strangers

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in the back seats, needs to be a 5 seater, new price vs. depreciation is terrible, power front seats, better marketing from GM (you guys missed the mark promoting Volt), shorten/redesign the front air dam (scrapes on everything)

Leased for 2 years. Loved every minute.
By cargirl88

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I jumped on a 24-month lease deal that my Chevy dealer was offering to promote this car. I'm coming up on my 30k mi limit and will be turning the Volt in come May. I will miss it. At the end of those 30k, I will have averaged about 110mpg - saving me around $2500 in gas alone from my previous car's 28mpg average (VW Jetta). This was about 7 months' worth of payments ;) I don't know of any other car that can offer this kind of gas savings. I didn't buy because the concept is so new (and expensive), but for the 2 years I had it, it was a pleasure. In a few years, after consistent production and refining, I will most definitely consider buying.

Favorite Features

Unbelievably quiet. It's really something to drive it on EV power down a quiet road. A very cool experience. Accelerates flawlessly. 0-60mph in about 8.5 seconds - not bad for a "lame" hybrid ;) Just plain fun to drive Great exterior styling. My Volt got more looks that any sports car. It's something of a car unicorn - everyone has heard of it but no one has actually seen one. A great conversation starter. Tight turning. It will park and fit anywhere. Surprisingly great in snow! Due to the huge battery in the center, weight is distributed evenly and makes for a safe drive on slick roads. The "power-flow" visual - understanding exactly how much energy you're using in real-time.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem I ever had was with the charging port failing at around 18k, but it was under warranty and fixed by the dealer with no question. The heater is very slow to warm up when on EV power only. The center console layout is busy and pretty confusing. Lots of unnecessary buttons. It's obvious that GM spent the majority of the Volt's efforts on the EV capability and not the interior design. Seats are rather stiff and plastic-feeling.

Excellent car but beware if you have an accident!
By urbanlegend711

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have been really impressed with the car overall. It has great acceleration, handles beautifully and didn't give me a single problem in 1.5 years and 22k miles. I had a minor front-end collision in September and the car still ran when I left it. Apparently because it's a hybrid the electronics need to be disconnected for welding. The car went to a dealer to have this done, the body shop then repaired it, but now...2 and a half months later, the dealer cannot get the car to run at all. Repairs appear to be very involved, expensive and risky with this car.

Favorite Features

Really cool styling, excellent handling, great acceleration, Volt display for fuel efficiency, excellent navigation, Bose sound system rocks, comfortable and stylish interior.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to figure out how to repair this car in the event of accidents. It's a great car and a wonderful move toward making electric vehicles livable, but GM dropped the ball on foreseeing potential repair needs. Hopefully they can get this resolved and make the Volt a truly exceptional vehicle.

2013 Chevy Volt
By standres

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased the Chevy Volt 2013 in June 2013 and I already drove over 1500 miles and I had only put in gasoline (not premium) three times. The gasoline tank capacity is about 9.5 gallons (full). The car was making 51 miles only using the battery and about 43mpg using the gasoline alternator, so about driving 94miles with the use only 1gallon of gasoline. Smooth drive when is using the battery, a little vibrating and nose when using the gasoline alternator. The front seats are manually operated. Already from the 2012 model has not yet change in this 2013 is the lack of space for the rear passengers (legs and head).

Favorite Features

Nice firm seats, great acceleration car ride. OnStar very helpful as well mobile apps that allow starting the car lock and unlock the door, all from your phone.

Suggested Improvements

This car is very nose inside so the use of the Bluetooth/hands free for your telephone is very limited due to the other end that you are talking to can't listen. The other cons that I see is the touch controls are so sensitive that easily can activate some other while you try to work in your screen touch. One important fact to consider prior to choose this car is the home charger, the car comes with one for use only in any outlet 110v, (full charge between 10-16 hours), GM endorse only Bosh manufacture for the charger to use 220v (4 hours full charge) that goes from $ 450 to $ 3000 (just the charger) and installation from $900 to $ 1000 ++

2012 Chevy Volt
By stratoguy

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased this car on May 31, 2012. I have had the car now for almost 13 months and I have only put in gasoline after 12 months and only because it said the gas was going stale so I should add gas. It came with 9.5 gallons (full) and so I only used 7 gallons in one year and over 9500 miles. It is amazing. Because I mostly drive the car optimumly by the computer suggestion of keeping the Turning Earth in the center target, I usually get between 44 and 48 miles per charge which is enough for me to do most of my errands and tasks without running the gas generator most of the time. The cost here in CA for a full charge of electricity to go those 44-48 miles is only $1.50. Amazing.

Favorite Features

Touch screen controls and soft touch sensing buttons. Nice firm seats and great acceleration and sports car ride. I have had a Porche, Corvette, Infiniti, and so many nice luxury and sports cars but I can honestly say this is one of the nicest cars I have had and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Solar panels on the roof to run A/C and keep car cool on the road without using the extra electricity to do that and keep car cool when parked.