Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (74 reviews )

Overall one big giant shrug: "meh"
By Maggie B.

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Having previously owned a second gen Prius, a 2006 Ford Fusion, I got to feel very different rides and experience very different levels of sorrow at the gas station. On the one hand, the Volt will get most folks super far on the just electric mode, but on the other the ride is still hybrid and numb. The efficiency drops when I'm in standard city or suburban stop and go traffic, accelerating to 45 on most roads is fine until I have to stop and do it again literally 2 miles later and the electric range just plummets. There is almost no way to recoup one's range by barking or cruising so don't have your hopes up if you previously owned a Prius or other hybrid. Then in dense city areas the efficiency goes up marginally until the city driving is over and then the range just drops as soon as you're back on the highway. That point is especially true for most N Americans outside of largely dense cities. Then there is the technology. Hybrids are the vehicle equivalent of smartphones. The Insight and Prius were the smart phones before Apple iPhone and Volt, Tesla and Leaf are the equivalent of those that came after. Having owned the 2nd Gen Prius it was like having one of the rock solid 3g phones before the iPhone: I thought it would be cooler to upgrade and now I regret it. Sometimes we are too set in our ways to upgrade our hardware, I say this as a millennial btw. The Volt is more like a shiny iPhone 4. One in which you cannot in fact turn off most notifications during meetings. One in which the phone (car) will tell you that you put your phone in your purse or took it out of your pocket or that it's about to turn off due to low battery and so on. And these alerts are not mute-able! Imagine that. It's insane the amount of bells, bongs and rings this Volt makes. I remember the backup signal on the Prius, that was the only alert, and it was bothersome but I would appreciate having only that over all the other alerts on the Volt. And to think I haven't brought up the entertainment system. You have a smart phone or iPod and plug it in and select your favorite band and then ... where's the album list... so you select a song. Now that great song is playing and the next song is whichever song is alphabetically later in the song list. So think you can remember that bands' best album you loved? No, sorry, scroll through the millions of albums and now the songs will play in Alpha order from the album you just selected. If that sounds "smart" then you my friend belong in a VOLT. The touch controls are sometimes responsive and sometimes require a little extra prodding below the touch screen. So memorizing the touch buttons by feel is now impossible. And if you once had a Prius in the always hot SW, you probably got used to adjusting the climate on the steering wheel, and now you get to shift your eyes away from the road, onto the center console, over the the split climate section and adjust every two seconds since eco mode on the climate control is as effective as having a golden retriever pant on your for cooling. Yay, Volt! Now you're turning left, trying to see past the giant six inch pillars which are still in the way no matter whether you lean left or right and then check your rear view mirror which now is misaligned due to slightly shifting your seat and the rear window couldn't possibly get any higher/narrower/less effective now could it? Sure the Fusion has absolute crap rear-view and so do most chunky-reared sedans, but this here Volt is a purported Hatch! So surely you have more window and a better view.. sorry no, this a Volt and even worse, a Chevy. In summary, SUV drivers may love the fuel efficiency and Prius owners may love to up their smugness with this green-hov-sticker qualifying car but the vast majority hate the numb steering, the dead until you've hit something braking and the lack of visibility due to crash test standards where we absolutely must be able to flip five times into a moving train and live. But honestly, give me a plug-in Golf and let's call it a day. This is still a Chevy after all.

Fantastic car for city driving
By Paul S

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I leased a 2012 Volt in April of that year and loved it. Once I learned to always drive in ?L? gear for maximum regen braking, and ?S? drive mode for maximum acceleration at the light the car was so much fun to drive. It was extremely quick and totally quiet. What I like is the acceleration is 100% useable. Since there is no noise, grinding and shifting you can put the pedal to the floor every time you start off without any guilt or spectacle. 90% of my driving is in town and I never have to use gas unless I go on a trip out of town. My only disappointment with that car was that in the third year that I owned it my battery range dropped about 20%. I went from seeing 36 miles after charge in the winter to 30 miles. In the summer it went from 47 to less than 40. Chevy said this was normal, but I can?t believe that since it all happened in the third year. Also in that year I added a level 2 charger at work and started topping the car off both at home in the evening and work in the morning. Turned that car in at end of lease and got a barely used 2014 with every option which I love. It has navigation which the 2012 did not and that is a great feature because of how it integrates with other features. Lots of improvements over the 2012. Now I?m not charging until I drop below 20 mile range and keeping my fingers crossed that I won?t lose driving range in two years.

Love Electric Powered, BUT BEWARE!
By ns2935

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The Volt I purchased was a left over 2012 model I purchased Aug 2013 with 600 miles on it. The car's exterior and motor was a mess. It took the dealership some six days to clean the vehicle to new looking. I drove the car for additional 18 months prior to trading it in for a Cadillac SRX. I had taken the car to various dealers of GM, Mitsubishi, Subaru. The dealers all expressed concern on taking the Volt in on trade and that concerned me even more and finalized my reasoning for getting rid of the Volt. Just too much unknown on this vehicle for us consumers. Cadillac dealer who took the Volt in trade doubts they will resale on their lot and will send to auto auction to get rid of it.

The Volt delivered in both electric drive of approx. 40-42 miles and when the regenerative engine drive runs delivered 38mpg's. The electric drive is awesome in power, quiet operation under the hood until the engine runs and it is noticeable until fully warmed up. Exterior and interior was of good quality, but very compact for us. This vehicle is not capable of pulling any trailer.

Volt should improve the duration of charge the Volt operates. Summer months the Volt delivered 40-42 miles per fully charged battery. What is not told by sales is that in our northern climate's cold temps the fully charged distance can drop to 16-20 miles. Fortunately the gas regenerative engine fills in. The car uses a Cruze frame and for the price of the Volt does not provide a smooth ride. GM should used impala frame in place of the Cruze frame. Watch out if you open the two rear windows as your driving. The wind pressure hits the hatchback and it sounds like the glass will push out. 3yr/36,000 warranty is a joke today and needs to be improved by GM. Price $35,000 avg is too high.

The best Car we have ever owned
By lock11

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

We just retired. The key to a successful retirement was to control our expenses. I decided to invest in some Green solutions. First we installed a Solar Array on our roof. Then I researched electric Cars. The only one that answered the question "What happens when I run out of Juice?" was the Volt. I paid 20, thousand for a 2012 with 20 thousand miles. It was loaded. I got a Tax credit of $7500. so net out the door was $12,500 not a bad price. WE charge it and it goes, no problems and it is the most dependable car ever. So far it has cost me an additional $O to operate.

There are a few. Quiet, smooth, comfortable and has no maintenance to speak of. I know a man that has 212,000 on his Volt and they checked his original Brakes, No wear. No transmission , no real fears. The "Re-Generator" slows the car down, not the brakes.

I honestly can not think of any

Can't wait to Drive it
By breggers

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I bought this 2012 model off lease at 17500 mi, and have had it for 1000 miles. So far I have used 6.3 gallons of gas total, that is no exaggeration. I am excited to get in this car and drive it every day. It drives like a dream, completely silent except for the top notch sound system on which I am playing XM jazz. In the Wisconsin spring, when no climate control is needed, I am getting 43 miles on a charge, which easily handles my 24 mile round trip commute. I take care of this thing like it's a Maserati, I always have a microfiber in my hand. I always chuckle at all the Priuses I pass struggling to get 55 mpg, burning gas with every mile.

While not a luxury car, it has many small luxuries, including the leather seating and steering wheel which I think is higher quality than my Infiniti SUV. The navigation is very good, the sound system is easily the best I have ever had. Plus little things like the auto heated seats (yes auto - never had that in my Lexus) and and child window locks that still allow you to control the windows and the auto locking doors. Some things are cheap like the feel of the door handles and the window glass, which always seems to be dirty, but I love the car anyway. Why anyone would buy a smart car or a prius instead of a Volt is beyond me.

I can't wait to trade it in one day for a 2016 model.