2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (69 reviews )

2012 Volt Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Best Car I've Ever Owned
By mcgoody

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Bought this car brand new on New Year's Eve 2012. After 2 years of ownership I am nothing but impressed. I've owned many different makes and models and this is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. Lifetime MPG is 228, with over 39K on the ODO (33K+ Elec. mi.). Service has been minimal; oil changes and tire rotations. I'm over 6 feet tall and have no issue in the driver's seat. Those behind me are snug, but it's doable. Car is designed well, solid inside and out, and is extremely reliable. Being in the mtns I was concerned for weather. No problem. The centered weight of the car makes it phenomenal in snow and great on ice. I really don't work for GM, I promise. :)

Favorite Features

Savings on gas (i.e. - filling up every 2-3 months vs. every week), instant torque/power from pedal to wheels, unlike other EV's... I can drive this car across the country like a regular vehicle and never concern myself with range, the tech in the car is unlike anything else, it draws a lot of conversation from strangers

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in the back seats, needs to be a 5 seater, new price vs. depreciation is terrible, power front seats, better marketing from GM (you guys missed the mark promoting Volt), shorten/redesign the front air dam (scrapes on everything)

Leased for 2 years. Loved every minute.
By cargirl88

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I jumped on a 24-month lease deal that my Chevy dealer was offering to promote this car. I'm coming up on my 30k mi limit and will be turning the Volt in come May. I will miss it. At the end of those 30k, I will have averaged about 110mpg - saving me around $2500 in gas alone from my previous car's 28mpg average (VW Jetta). This was about 7 months' worth of payments ;) I don't know of any other car that can offer this kind of gas savings. I didn't buy because the concept is so new (and expensive), but for the 2 years I had it, it was a pleasure. In a few years, after consistent production and refining, I will most definitely consider buying.

Favorite Features

Unbelievably quiet. It's really something to drive it on EV power down a quiet road. A very cool experience. Accelerates flawlessly. 0-60mph in about 8.5 seconds - not bad for a "lame" hybrid ;) Just plain fun to drive Great exterior styling. My Volt got more looks that any sports car. It's something of a car unicorn - everyone has heard of it but no one has actually seen one. A great conversation starter. Tight turning. It will park and fit anywhere. Surprisingly great in snow! Due to the huge battery in the center, weight is distributed evenly and makes for a safe drive on slick roads. The "power-flow" visual - understanding exactly how much energy you're using in real-time.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem I ever had was with the charging port failing at around 18k, but it was under warranty and fixed by the dealer with no question. The heater is very slow to warm up when on EV power only. The center console layout is busy and pretty confusing. Lots of unnecessary buttons. It's obvious that GM spent the majority of the Volt's efforts on the EV capability and not the interior design. Seats are rather stiff and plastic-feeling.

Excellent car but beware if you have an accident!
By urbanlegend711

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have been really impressed with the car overall. It has great acceleration, handles beautifully and didn't give me a single problem in 1.5 years and 22k miles. I had a minor front-end collision in September and the car still ran when I left it. Apparently because it's a hybrid the electronics need to be disconnected for welding. The car went to a dealer to have this done, the body shop then repaired it, but now...2 and a half months later, the dealer cannot get the car to run at all. Repairs appear to be very involved, expensive and risky with this car.

Favorite Features

Really cool styling, excellent handling, great acceleration, Volt display for fuel efficiency, excellent navigation, Bose sound system rocks, comfortable and stylish interior.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to figure out how to repair this car in the event of accidents. It's a great car and a wonderful move toward making electric vehicles livable, but GM dropped the ball on foreseeing potential repair needs. Hopefully they can get this resolved and make the Volt a truly exceptional vehicle.

2013 Chevy Volt
By standres

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased the Chevy Volt 2013 in June 2013 and I already drove over 1500 miles and I had only put in gasoline (not premium) three times. The gasoline tank capacity is about 9.5 gallons (full). The car was making 51 miles only using the battery and about 43mpg using the gasoline alternator, so about driving 94miles with the use only 1gallon of gasoline. Smooth drive when is using the battery, a little vibrating and nose when using the gasoline alternator. The front seats are manually operated. Already from the 2012 model has not yet change in this 2013 is the lack of space for the rear passengers (legs and head).

Favorite Features

Nice firm seats, great acceleration car ride. OnStar very helpful as well mobile apps that allow starting the car lock and unlock the door, all from your phone.

Suggested Improvements

This car is very nose inside so the use of the Bluetooth/hands free for your telephone is very limited due to the other end that you are talking to can't listen. The other cons that I see is the touch controls are so sensitive that easily can activate some other while you try to work in your screen touch. One important fact to consider prior to choose this car is the home charger, the car comes with one for use only in any outlet 110v, (full charge between 10-16 hours), GM endorse only Bosh manufacture for the charger to use 220v (4 hours full charge) that goes from $ 450 to $ 3000 (just the charger) and installation from $900 to $ 1000 ++

2012 Chevy Volt
By stratoguy

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased this car on May 31, 2012. I have had the car now for almost 13 months and I have only put in gasoline after 12 months and only because it said the gas was going stale so I should add gas. It came with 9.5 gallons (full) and so I only used 7 gallons in one year and over 9500 miles. It is amazing. Because I mostly drive the car optimumly by the computer suggestion of keeping the Turning Earth in the center target, I usually get between 44 and 48 miles per charge which is enough for me to do most of my errands and tasks without running the gas generator most of the time. The cost here in CA for a full charge of electricity to go those 44-48 miles is only $1.50. Amazing.

Favorite Features

Touch screen controls and soft touch sensing buttons. Nice firm seats and great acceleration and sports car ride. I have had a Porche, Corvette, Infiniti, and so many nice luxury and sports cars but I can honestly say this is one of the nicest cars I have had and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Solar panels on the roof to run A/C and keep car cool on the road without using the extra electricity to do that and keep car cool when parked.

Great design BUT poor implementation by GM
By ronmaf

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I purchased two Volts, One for my wife and one for myself in July 2012. We drove them all over. One went to Baltimore the other to Tampa. The car averaged 130 MPG. at the 7th month of ownership I started hearing this loud sound like an electric Drill every time I coated to a stop of hit the brakes. I gave the car to the dealer, it took them a week to fix. 10 days and 300 or so miles later the car has the same obnoxious sound. I went back to the dealer. This time they called in a GM Engineer to take a look. They have had it for a week already with no fix in sight. I really loved the technology of the car, but GM cannot get the quality right. there is the GM-Volt forum with more info.

Favorite Features

MPG and Torque is great, not to mention the Bose sound system and the Navigation was top notch. It was also really the quietest car I have ever owned. Too bad it isn't as reliable as I expect from a $45000 car! So far my Wife is not having any major issues from the car!

Suggested Improvements

Reliability! GM...QUALITY ASSURANCE, please invest in it! Center touch console is annoying after some time. For the money a Cadillac-esque console would be welcome.

100 mpg +++++
By borchone1

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Over 5900 miles and used 21 gallons of gas and $135 elect. ZERO problems. Handles great in snow. Heater is great. Grandkids stay warm in back at 0 degrees. Yesterday drove 54 miles and total cost elect and gas was $2.33 and it was 34 degrees outside. 34 miles in elect and 20 miles on gas. Summer gives me 45-50 miles on elect. Cost me at most 69 cents to charge per night. Special time of day rates with elect. co. Great car and only stopped at for gas 3 times in 7 mos. Fast, fun and great car. One of best cars i'ved owned out of 41. Great car GM and thanks to Pres. George Bush for helpping get this started.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage after battery runs down. Great battery range, even in winter if you watch the heater.

Suggested Improvements

Back windshield wiper.

Volt is a No-Brainer over Prius
By ntvolt

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

It's like a game driving this car, to see how far I can go. I average 45-53 miles on a single charge. 3 year lease is Cheaper than a regular Prius BEFORE the $1,500 CA rebate. Volt = $329 MO vs. Prius at $299 MO. Volt is $1,080 more over 36 mos. But you get a $1,500 rebate on the volt, bringing the 3 year cost from the time you walk in the dealer till the time you turn it in to $420 less than a Prius. 36,000 miles each, Prius will use 720 gallons of gas no matter what at $4 per gal. = $2,880. If you drive less than 40 miles a day, Volt will cost you $0 in gas and about $1.50 per full charge for 40 miles. $1,350 for 36,000 miles. 3 year savings = $1,950

Favorite Features

5,500 miles so far, I've used 4.2 gallons in gas. I still have yet to see a gas station with this car. Even for those that use 50% electric and 50% gas driving 70 miles a day, that still means they are only using 1 gallon of gas per day! You'd use 514 gallons over 36,000 miles at 50/50 driving. This car with the weight of the batteries down low, rides nicer than my Jaguar. It is so amazingly solid for a small car. The Prius feels like a toy car compared to the Volt. The $40,000 price tag scares people away, but as the numbers show, it's cheaper than a regular Prius and FAR cheaper than the plug-in Prius that goes 12 miles on electric only. No Comparison! And I have CARPOOL lane stickers!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Put run-flat tires on it, get rid of the spare and throw a few extra batteries in that space and bring up the range to an EPA rated 50 miles on electric only and this thing would be amazing. I get 45-53 miles on my EPA rated 35 mile Volt, so with a 50 mile EPA rating, I'd be pushing 65 miles a day. At least make it an option to buy another 3 kilowatts worth of batteries.

Free Car
By bluevolt

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I just bought a volt and am actually being paid to drive it. I put zero down financed at 0%. My payments come to $5,800 a year for six years. I get paid a $9,000 tax credit (live in California). I save $2,000 a year on gas and $500 a year on tolls ($15,000 over six years). So, even if the car loses half of it's value, at the end of six years I own a car worth $17,500 and my out-of-pocket expense came to only $11,000. In other words, I get to drive a car for six years and am essentially paid $6,500 to do so.

Favorite Features

Cost

Suggested Improvements

Charge time

Good car - Lousy people
By woodybap

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I am so [non-permissible content removed]! First the damn Volt is dead in my own driveway. Four months old and it goes feet up. No prob, I think, we have Onstar. Onstar tries about 3 times and then tells me that the car has apparently shut down due to some security glitch. The car needs to be towed to a dealership. Numerous calls between me and Roadside Assistance. They tell me that they can provide me with the number of their outfit that arranges loaner vehicles. Turns out that number is to a service that apparently does nothing more than provide the names of local rental car agencies. A glorified phone book, if you will. Heck, I could do better with Google. So the tow truck guy shows up. Has no clue

Suggested Improvements

Better customer service training of personnel