2003 Mazda Protege5 Consumer Review: Fun little car

2003 Mazda Protege5 - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Fun little car
By ADrugAgainstWar on

2003 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car last year at a dealer. The first thing that grabbed my attention was the body design, and i still love it. i think the new Mazda3 is a little too bubbly, when they designed this thing they weren't afraid to add a few edges! Fun to drive, has some of that "zoom-zoom" at lower speeds. unfortunately, the little 4-banger does have to try a bit to get up steep hills, and it is very sluggish when four friends are packed inside. Oil filter is kind of a pain to get to. This baby does have a good clutch though. catches in the exact same place every time. I kind of wish it was RWD, but that's wishful thinking. it's as close as you can get to having a miata that you can haul people in

Favorite Features

Body style, hands down. it looks sensible, yet aggressive. it doesn't take itself too seriously. Fun to drive. solid suspension, good clutch. quick, nimble, good handling. comfy ride, even in the back seats (or so i'm told). fog lights are nice. brakes are solid.

Suggested Improvements

Variable speed intermittent wipers, RWD (I can dream, can't I?), More Horses under the hood. the headlamps are the most ridiculously complicated thing to change on the car. couldn't it just be a simple click-turn? a 6th gear would be nice, but only if it had more power. a full-sized spare.