2014 Mazda Mazda6 2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - Best choice for a manual

2014 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Review

i Touring Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Best choice for a manual transmission - 3 months in.
By stirmyown on

2014 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

When you've got to stir your own gears, your choices are limited these days. It seems like you can do it if you opt for a stripped down small car, or a tricked-out european performance sedan. In the mid-level market there is pretty much Mazda and Subaru. Good luck actually finding a stick in America for any other brand. Since I have kids in car seats, rear seat room was an issue. Car seats are ridiculously huge these days. So I had to go a little bit bigger but I didn't want a large SUV. They just aren't fun to drive. I loved my old Subaru Forester, but unfortunately Subaru killed the driving feel in their effort to mass-market and Camry-ize the new Forester and Outback.

Favorite Features

It makes sense on paper to try out the Mazda if you're looking for a mid level sedan with a stick. So I tried it out. It's fantastic to drive! Almost as much fun as a sports car, though it's actually a pretty big sedan. It also looks beautiful to my eye. Not vomit-inducing horrible like the previous generation of joker-grin Mazdas. I'd say it's almost as attractive as the new Ford Fusion, but a little more restrained - and not so blatantly ripping off Aston Martin. The interior is nice. Not wonderful, not offensive, but nice. Not intrusive. I thought the backup camera and blind spot detection would be a gimmick but I actually like it.

Suggested Improvements

There are some stupid ergonomics - all having to do with the "infotainment" system. So you have this big screen in the middle of the dash which is great. But the UI is clunky. Also, it's a touch screen, but they include a BMW i-drive-like joystick. You have to look at the screen anyway, so every single person is just going to touch the screen and never learn how to use the complicated joystick. I'd rather have a place to keep change. The radio station buttons on the screen are up and down, but the button on the steering wheel is right-left. You can only see 6 stations at a time on the screen but there is room for about 30. Etc. It works though. Pairs nicely with phone.