2014 Mazda 6 Consumer Review: Initial thoughts

2014 Mazda 6 - Consumer Review

2014 Mazda 6

i Grand Touring Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Initial thoughts
By choppa on

2014 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

**Updated**

57,000 miles. Car has remained very, very reliable. Been through a few winters, no major issues in the snow with the stock tires. On my second set. The light sand leather interior can get dirty so extra care is needed. Gas mileage is great. Still recommend

Previous Honda Accord owner who in the end was looking for something a little bit different.
With the latest Consumer Reports Auto edition praising the new Accord, along with my bias towards Honda, I was sure I would end up in a new 2013.
Driving what everyone else drives wasn't a big concern to me.
However, I took the time to get to know the redesigned Mazda 6.
There were many positives - styling, interior look/quality (especially on GT), EASY to use tech features, fun to drive factor, innovative skyactive engine, chasis, tranny (for those not into CVTs) and Mazda reputation for quality.
In the end, there was enough to push me in a new direction.
Time will tell but I like it so far.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By sj1417
on 07/14/13 12:05 PM (PDT)

Did anyone drive the 13 Accord vs. the new 6? I'm curious because I too am a long-time Honda man who absolutely HATES the ride quality on the new Accord. After 9 months I am planning on getting rid of it, because it is miserable on all sorts of roads. I was just wondering if the 6, which is said to also have a firm ride, is better. My Accord is not just firm, it's harsh. Thanks.

By tundradweller1
on 04/01/13 07:02 AM (PDT)

I keep hearing the requirement for synthetic oil yet it does not state this anywhere in the owners manual.

By tundradweller1
on 04/07/13 08:29 AM (PDT)

Brought the 6 in to have the oil changed and the dealership used 5-20 blend oil. I asked about synthetic and it is not required. If you look at the international specs 0-20 is only for north America. No doubt to comply with CAFE standards.

By shinysideup
on 06/14/13 11:06 AM (PDT)

Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you. Have owned or leased a string of Honda vehicles along with having a Honda ATV and motorcycle. The newest Accord is a step in the right direction styling wise, but I'm not sure it has the sporting character I'm looking for. So while I've had lots of enjoyment with my HOnda experience, it may be time for a change. I just test drove an Optima SX and was very impressed with interior materials fit/finish etc. And there's no denying the turbo 2.0L has lots of gitty up, but not sure the driving experience is as good as it could be. Sounds like I really need to check out the 6.