Used 2012 Ford Fiesta Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Fiesta Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Fiesta Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Fiesta model:

A little silver lemon!
By Teresa Dillard

2012 Ford Fiesta Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car in February 2012. Fifteen months later the stereo started "crackling" from a lose wire. Another 4 months later (150 miles past the warranty) the A/C stopped working. Ford repaired the A/C at no cost only after I told them what was wrong with it and how much I KNEW it would cost them for the part. The part was less than $100 and they wanted over $900 to repair it! It took them approximately 40 minutes to repair it while I waited. I've had the car for 3 years and 9 months. The window handle has fallen off, have had A/C and stereo issues, and now there is clutch fluid leaking onto my floor mat! This car just proves that when you buy cheap, you get cheap! I will NEVER AGAIN buy another Ford!!! I'm going back to a Toyota Camry next time. They are most definitely worth the higher car note every month.

Great car for towing behind a motorhome.
By Bill

2012 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car because it has an automatic transmission that allows it to be simply put into neutral to be towed. No special transmission cooler required. The car is light enough so that an auxiliary breaking system is not required in most states. We didn't want to get a stick sift because of our age, this was the best option for that reason. So it's a great car to be towed. The transmission is a bit odd, it was totally rebuilt before it had 10,000 miles on it. Ford has increased the warranty on it to 100,000 miles. I currently have about 47,000 on it. One thing I was told by a Ford service rep was to stomp on the gas when the transmission starts to act up. Odd statement, but it works. We've experienced the shifting issues as many on this forum have had, this has happened when driving in town in stop and go traffic. When I can safety excellerate at full trottle, I will do that and it seems to reset the transmission. Just had it into the dealer for a recall on the transmission control module, they reprogrammed it. The module is now warranted to 150,000 miles. They also replaced the door latches, which I didn't know was a recall. I like the car, it is fun to drive, but not the most reliable. I've had many Ford products in the past, but I'm now driving a Toyota for our primary car. It's odd, but Toyota Camry and Siena are listed as more American built then Ford products. The Global economy has blurred the meaning of American made.

Don't listen to them - This car is great
By Nellie Gordon

2012 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SES 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

First off - DO YOU RESEARCH!!!!! There are recalls for certain parts for this car. They are completely free to have fixed. I did have to have the clutch replaced in my car. (I have the hatchback SFE) This was a recall that Ford had on this model. I waited around 3 months for my service center to receive the part, took it in and had the car back the next day. Prior to the replacement part, there was an engine shudder coming out of first. I can see where this is a problem. This is not a transmission issue. So don't let that throw you off, Ford replaced the part with no questions asked and it didn't cost me a thing. I will continue to have to get the clutch replaced until my warranty is up. Then I'll probably sell it.
The gas mileage is amazing on this car. I refuel once a week for 20 bucks. And I drive a ton. Oil changes are painless. I haven't had to replace or fix a single thing yet on it.
The only thing I don't like about the car is the space in the back for passengers. It's fairly small in the leg room area. For a couple that's always on the go, it's absolutely perfect!
The acceleration is amazing, turning is amazing, I feel like I'm driving my passat for less than half the price for maintenance. No leaks, it's not loud, the transmission runs perfectly fine, my door latches work perfectly fine, everything.

RUN LIKE THE WIND
By Debbie

2012 Ford Fiesta Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

That's what you should do when considering this car. I bought my car brand new in July 2012. The test drive was great and I traded an SUV to get better gas mileage and to have the reliability with a new car. Well, I got the great mileage but everything else about this car has been a disappointment. In the first 2 years I had it, 3 door locks broke. They suddenly would not shut and latch - so you couldn't drive the car without the doors flying open. I had to put someone in the back seat to hold the doors shut to get it to the dealer. I had to physically hold the passenger door shut with one hand while driving to the dealer. And then they didn't have the parts. Obviously I couldn't drive it home so they did get me a rental and the door was fixed within a week. Then, the transmission started to shudder and it felt like I was popping the clutch when it's an automatic. There were times it would barely go from a stop light and you have to be careful not to pull out in front of anyone because it may go and it may not. It's not safe and I absolutely hate this car. Unfortunately I have 3 more years to pay on it and Ford's service leaves alot to be desired. Apparently the transmission has indeed a problem and I took it in last November 2014 - they first told me nothing was wrong with it and all the settings were normal. I threw a fit and told them I needed to speak with the Service Mgr. I spoke with him and he took it out for a long drive and then I got a call saying yes indeed, there is a problem with the transmission and Ford is aware of the problem but they didn't have the parts. They told me it would probably be January 2015 the parts would be in but they would contact me and let me know when they had arrived. It's now July 2015 and I still haven't received that notice. Now there is a recall with an emissions problem - I am 63 years old and have never had so many problems with a new car as I have with this Ford. I will never buy another Ford car - EVER.

Automatic transmission is a disaster
By pintodw

2012 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for good gas mileage as I have a lengthy commute. The vehicle performed well for the first 5K miles but since then I have been in and out of the dealership with automatic transmission problems. My Fiesta now has 23K miles and has been to the dealer five times for transmission work. The last two visits have resulted in major repairs in an attempt to fix the problem and still the problem persists. The transmission shudders, hesitates, and lurches in stop and go traffic or when slowing then starting up again such as at a stop light or stop sign. The dealership has acknowledged there is a problem with this transmission but thus far has refused to replace the transmission. Avoid

Handles well and great gas mileage. Very comfortable seats. Very roomy (I'm 6'7" and have great headroom and leg room in the driver's seat.

Scrap the automatic transmission and go with the CVT like the new Honda Fit or Nissans. If Ford sticks with this bizarre automatic transmission it will be the end of them.