Used 2012 Ford F-150 XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Great, but the Competition is Much cheaper
By aguywhowrite

2012 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Cost $21,500 stripped. Now an additional $1,000 rebate. Quite a lot of car for the money. Ford has done an excellent job with this truck, but I argue that Ford has done a better job of causing the competition to cut prices, at least on the low end trucks. GM about $1,500 cheaper, with bed-liner, cruise control standard. Dodge maybe $1,000 cheaper with Hemi engine. Both have better warranties than Ford. Buying a car is bizarre these days. You have to look for the coupons that work. Are you with USAA? Are you a former GM owner? I'm not so I didn't buy GM. I happen to be a GM shareholder. Would that have counted? I forgot to ask.

Favorite Features

Crazy engine. 3.7L is only sane in comparison to twin-turbo Ecoboost. This thing revs easily to 7,000 rpm, and puts out 302 hp with only 226 cubic inches. It's kind of like James Dean's truck. Well appointed interior for a stripped truck. Value for money. (But see above). Truck is very civilized, but when Ford had to choose between suburban poseurs like me and working guys they defaulted towards the "Built Ford Tough" standard. I respect that.

Suggested Improvements

None, really, but be advised this truck really isn't geared towards regular gas. It just has a good knock sensor. Manual says to use 87 octane regular gas. Do you live at altitude where gas is 86 octane? Tough. Get 87 anyway (per manual). Truck "benefits from" higher octane gas (per manual).