Step 4: Where to Advertise Your Car
Now that your car is looking great and running well, it's time to advertise it for sale. In the past, people advertised in expensive newspaper classified ads. But now, on-line classified ads are the preferred method, not only for convenience, but also because they have a wider geographical reach.
Here are the main markets for advertising used cars:
- Web sites: AutoTrader.com, Cars.com, Craigslist.com and eBay Classifieds are the most popular. Craigslist and eBay classifieds are free. The others are not.
- Social media: Use Facebook and Twitter to let your circle know you are selling your car. Ask your contacts to spread the word.
- Message boards: Many online car forums have classified sections in which you can list your car.
- Word of mouth: Tell your friends, co-workers and family.
- The car itself: It's old-fashioned, but putting a "For Sale" sign in the car window can be an effective way to sell it.
One last word of advice about advertising: if you run a classified ad, be sure you are available to take phone calls from possible buyers. Many people won't leave a message for a return call. So answer the phone and be polite. Creating a good first impression is the first step in getting buyers to see the car in person.
Next: Create Ads That Sell
To find a dealership that knows how to treat shoppers right, please visit Edmunds.com's Dealer Ratings and Reviews.