Fun and Quirky Redline
By danhaab on
2004 Saturn ION Red Line 4dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl S/C 5M)
While helping my parents shop for a new SUV at Saturn, I decided to test the Redline on a whim; I had no plans to purchase the vehicle. After a test drive and a $3750 reduction in price, I decided that this was the car to purchase. The car's quirks are pleasantly surprising. I was not sure I would like the center mounted gauges; however I found them surprisingly easy read and unobtrusive. The quad style coupe is also an interesting feature. The suicide style doors open wide and allow easy entry to the rear seats. While straight-line performance doesn’t match up to the Neon SRT 4, the car acquits itself well among the rest of its competitors in the sport compact car scene.
Favorite Features
The supercharged 2 liter engine pulls all the way to it's redline and provides more than enough acceleration. The shifter's throws are short and positive and definitely add to the car's sporty feel. The Recaro seats take some getting used to but are very comfortable and supportive.
Suggested Improvements
While the car doesn't exhibit severe torque steer, a limited slip differential would definitely be an worthwile improvement. Of course, you can never have enough horsepower, so another 20 ponies under the hood would also be appreciated!