1999 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montana model:
Why not??
By jdb1601 on 08/20/12 21:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana 3dr Minivan

I bought this van 2 years ago with intentions of using it as a beater, Well this van now has 140,000 miles on it and i have drove it the last 40,000 miles (20,000 a year) heck with only one oil change. It is more reliable than any other car i have owned. I read others reviews but come on seriously people usually only write a review when they have problems. I would absolutely buy another at the drop of a hat!

12 years and still running
By cpa0217 on 08/31/11 10:44 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana 3dr Minivan

I bought my Montana new 12 years ago. It currently has 172,000 miles on it. Overall, I have been very happy with it, but I have had a couple of moments. I've had to replace the intake gasket twice - clearly an issue with this vehicle! Everything else was a result of age & normal wear & tear.

Great Van -few problems
By mare on 06/28/10 17:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

I love my van. Had trouble with intake gasket at 75,000 replace for under $500. Routine maintenance and fuel pump. Rides well and comfortable. I drive my van to work and on long trips with extended family. We have put carrier on top and loaded it full. It is still running strong. Could not ask for a better minivan.

Should have know better!!
By J.L. on 05/12/09 21:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought new since it was first minivan with VHS entertainment system. Overall was fun to drive but had several major mechanical problems. Had to replace intake gasket twice so far - 1st time at 24k and 2nd at 60k, needed major transmission rebuilt at 56k at $2500 cost. Just right now the AC went out. Cupholders next to seat were useless - didn't hold anything and spilled coffe often. We will probably get rid of it now since we are getting afraid we will get stuck. If reliability would be better, would have been great experience - this is the reason GM is going out of business.

Should have listened to Edmunds!
By K White on 09/01/08 13:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana 4dr Minivan

Bought this van second hand, with 153,000 km. Since then, I replaced water pump,spark plugs, wheel bearing, rocker panels, head gasket, intake gasket, thermostat. Also, roof leaks, needs front and rear struts, rear windshield wiper doesn't work, abs light is on, air bag light comes on and off. Front end vibrates. Get about 500 km to a tank. Needs a transmission part, up shifts and down shifts hard.

Lots of Miles
By Kirk on 08/09/08 19:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

My van has 281,000 miles on it. The major problem with them is related to antifreeze. Everything that has cost me money to fix was antifreeze related. I had to replace parts that wore out like struts, steering components and such. I use it as a cargo van daily loaded down with 1500 pounds of weight daily and carry a ladder on top. I get about 17 mpg. When I drive it empty I still get 24mpg. The body is still in good shape, I just had to replace the door hinge because I open the door way too many times. The v6 is still has a lot of torque with all those miles. At 250k it finally got a hole in the leather seats, not to bad for a work truck.

Great Vehicle for Family
By andy on 02/16/08 09:33 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

I bought the vehicle brand new, I do not have any complaint about the product. Great, reliable, dependable, comfortable van. I'm going to purchase one more of it soon. No other vehicle beats it.

Best Minivan- Pontiac Montana
By pjk on 12/18/07 16:04 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

re: true cost to own. 9 years I would like to submit my true cost to own a 1999 Pontiac Montana I sold recently to buy my new Buick. Total repair cost for 9 years. $82 Two rear stop lights... price $12 One tie rod end ... price $50 first part to fail 8.5 years old. 75K miles Charge A/C ..... price $20 one can of refrigerant. total $82 The rest of repairs were two sets of tires two sets of brake shoes oil changes every 3K Thats it. Van bought new $17k plus tax. Van sold 9 years later $5100 $11900 total depreciation $1322 depreciation per year. This Van was driven 95% in the Pgh area .. salt in winter potholes,hills, average trip was about 3 miles. It still looked like new no rust

Love My Van
By B C Harvey on 11/13/07 19:49 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

I purchased this van and immediately was impressed with the comfort since I have 4 major disabilities with my lower back. Secondly, it was fun to drive and felt like a solid (no rattles)automobile. Being a 7 passenger is handy at times as I live in Sr. housing and often transport my friends to and from their appointments. And, they are also impressed with the can and the comfort.

None better
By Pontiac on 08/08/07 17:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought our Montana new and have had very good luck with it. We just got back from another trip to NY and got 28 mpg.. very good for a 4,000 lb safe vehicle. We get approx 30,000 on a set of average tires and 30,000 miles on brake pads, unlike stories I hear from other vans. The body looks like new. The galvanized body panels are the best, they resist rust better than any other metal. The original stainless steel exhaust will last much longer. It's still in great shape. The interior does not show wear after all this time. The best interior material we ever had. Our Montana has moved, hauled and transported many kids and material. We will be buying another Pontiac.