Used 1999 Pontiac Montana Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Pontiac Montana - Consumer Reviews

1999 Pontiac Montana

View reviews for a specific Montana model:

Why not??
By jdb1601

1999 Pontiac Montana 3dr Minivan

I bought this van 2 years ago with intentions of using it as a beater, Well this van now has 140,000 miles on it and i have drove it the last 40,000 miles (20,000 a year) heck with only one oil change. It is more reliable than any other car i have owned. I read others reviews but come on seriously people usually only write a review when they have problems. I would absolutely buy another at the drop of a hat!

Favorite Features

The handling

12 years and still running
By cpa0217

1999 Pontiac Montana 3dr Minivan

I bought my Montana new 12 years ago. It currently has 172,000 miles on it. Overall, I have been very happy with it, but I have had a couple of moments. I've had to replace the intake gasket twice - clearly an issue with this vehicle! Everything else was a result of age & normal wear & tear.

Favorite Features

The built-in air compressor!!!

Great Van -few problems
By mare

1999 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

I love my van. Had trouble with intake gasket at 75,000 replace for under $500. Routine maintenance and fuel pump. Rides well and comfortable. I drive my van to work and on long trips with extended family. We have put carrier on top and loaded it full. It is still running strong. Could not ask for a better minivan.

Favorite Features

Handling and comfortable ride. Like the second row captain seats. love the third row seat fold down or take out. Lots of room in back of 3rd row.

Suggested Improvements

poor cup holders. Second row seats need roll down windows.

Should have know better!!
By J.L.

1999 Pontiac Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Bought new since it was first minivan with VHS entertainment system. Overall was fun to drive but had several major mechanical problems. Had to replace intake gasket twice so far - 1st time at 24k and 2nd at 60k, needed major transmission rebuilt at 56k at $2500 cost. Just right now the AC went out. Cupholders next to seat were useless - didn't hold anything and spilled coffe often. We will probably get rid of it now since we are getting afraid we will get stuck. If reliability would be better, would have been great experience - this is the reason GM is going out of business.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, steering wheel controls, entertainment system, overall roominess, good acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Quality & Reliability!!Quality & Reliability!!!Quality & Reliability!!!! You didn't get this, now you are going out of business!!!!!! Secondly, have dealer mechanics know what they are doing - overall dealer service experience was very poor!!!!

Should have listened to Edmunds!
By K White

1999 Pontiac Montana 4dr Minivan

Bought this van second hand, with 153,000 km. Since then, I replaced water pump,spark plugs, wheel bearing, rocker panels, head gasket, intake gasket, thermostat. Also, roof leaks, needs front and rear struts, rear windshield wiper doesn't work, abs light is on, air bag light comes on and off. Front end vibrates. Get about 500 km to a tank. Needs a transmission part, up shifts and down shifts hard.

Favorite Features

Captain's chairs, room, power.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable, better gas mileage, gaskets, tranny, etc.