2001 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Great first car
By easye93 on 11/20/14 08:48 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 se 3.4 and its never let me down. I've had it for 3 years, and my mom had it for about 4 years before that. It has 242,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. It gets 30 mpg highway too. I've replaced the coolant temp. sensor a couple times, brake pads and shoes, tires and a radiator hose since I got it, and no major repairs were done while my mom had it. Besides the rust behind the doors, it looks great as well.

Poor Quality
By mikee4667 on 04/26/14 19:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I would not recommend this car to anyone. It had a water leak in the passenger side that shorted out a computer that cost 500 to fix. 3 out of 4 power windows broke, and the passenger mirror fell off when I scraped snow off it. The security light came on and I had to have a new ignition cylinder put in-another 300. I traded it in while it was still running. Just to be clear I changed the oil regularly and kept up the maintenance. Poor Quality--I can see why Pontiac went out of business.

13 years and counting
By eddy37 on 02/07/14 00:40 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine new in 2001. I've taken decent care of it, oil changes, minor repairs. It's never broken down or had any major issues. Has the same issues as other Grand AM's. Side passenger mirror just fell off, AC has been broken for a couple years, fan speeds 1 and 2 don't work, side mirror control broken. The car itself is no longer waterproof. The factory battery lasted 11 years. Took it on a road trip this summer and actually got really good mileage. To recap, it's been paid for since 2005 and has never left me stranded. Going to drive this thing until it explodes.

best car we ever owned
By draybike67 on 10/01/13 23:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

we have put 239,895 miles on this car with no major repairs at all. Still runs and drives great,gets 28 mpg highway. auto trans still works perfect. we replaced the water pump at 189k ,replaced radiator at 200k miles. All you have to do is maintain your car and it will last just like ours. we are afraid to sell this car because it has been so great. we also have a 1996 gmc suburban with 278,000 miles and only had to rebuild the trans at 167k, and one fuel pump at 103k. it still runs like new.

Worst Car I EVER HAD!
By mayhem2013 on 03/23/13 19:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car from a Pontiac dealership in 2006 with 57k miles on it. I was in love! However within the first WEEK of having it, the Security system failed. Since Ive had this P.O.S., everything imaginable has gone wrong, Security/Passlock failure, Intake Manifold Head Gasket, Power seating failure, Side mirror falling off, failing brakes, interior knobs falling off, AC failure...and the list DOES go on! I was horrified but the recalls and complaints online!.... Would NEVER buy anything from Pontiac ever again!

take care of it, it will return the favor
By englisap on 05/01/12 18:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have come to love my Grand Am. I have also come to believe that if you take good care of it, it will repay you. Got it from my mom in 2006 with 25k on it. It had been parked in her driveway collecting waterstains and mice. Initially I named it the lemon (I never liked it, but my husband did) after getting new tires, new fluids, getting rid of rabbits chewing wires and some other normal things, I made a deal with it. It takes care of me and I take care of it. Yes, they have quirks, but if you take really good care of it, it will run like a champ. It thinks it's a sports car. I drive it at least 51 miles everyday. It now has about 145k miles on it and still gets 26mi/gal

Alright
By spurge27 on 02/08/12 09:48 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had mine for almost 11 months and the only thing needed replaced was the fuel pump which as I've read is one thing that normally goes. I've yet to change my brakes or anything like that so maybe its just my car. I did have to keep dumping anti-freeze into my car but checked and found it was just a hose that went bad which I just ficed with liquid aluminum. Other then that this car drives smooth, gets good gas mileage (18-19 cty, 26-27 hwy), fast, good looking, and will get you where you need to go. I got mine with 98,000 miles on it and it is at 120,000 now with only that one problem. Would I recommend this car, no. Would I say that its a decent car, yes!

Well worth the ride!
By docholliday1 on 09/20/11 12:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Have had my GT for 9 years (was a year old when I got her) and haven't regretted it. Fun to drive, plenty of power and great road handling. Major expense in all that time was the head gasket. Brakes need to be replaced more often than I was used to, and had to figure out the work-arounds for the fake codes that appeared a couple of times... but overall a fun and reliable car.

Good first car
By gruvygirl1 on 07/03/11 19:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car that I bought used for $4000 with 107,000 miles. There were a few things that were problematic to begin with -- the driver's side window was difficult to roll down and the air conditioning only worked on speeds 3-5. Eventually, the entire AC system failed and had to be repaired, which did restore the 1-2 settings. About a year after purchasing the vehicle, I had to replace both the alternator and the battery. In the past year, I paid over $600 repairing the ignition switch and the security lock column, only to find that I needed to repair the computer system due to an engine leak, meaning another costly repair, so at 124,000 miles, we finally parted.

Satisfied owner
By philly j on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the GT sedan in 03'and have no regrets! GT looks great and performed well on the road, which is a must for my lead foot. No major repairs until this year (2010) at 160k miles-so the car is unexpectedly reliable.