Used 2001 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Pontiac Grand Am

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Great first car
By easye93

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 se 3.4 and its never let me down. I've had it for 3 years, and my mom had it for about 4 years before that. It has 242,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. It gets 30 mpg highway too. I've replaced the coolant temp. sensor a couple times, brake pads and shoes, tires and a radiator hose since I got it, and no major repairs were done while my mom had it. Besides the rust behind the doors, it looks great as well.

Favorite Features

Styling, performance, MPG

Suggested Improvements

none

Poor Quality
By mikee4667

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I would not recommend this car to anyone. It had a water leak in the passenger side that shorted out a computer that cost 500 to fix. 3 out of 4 power windows broke, and the passenger mirror fell off when I scraped snow off it. The security light came on and I had to have a new ignition cylinder put in-another 300. I traded it in while it was still running. Just to be clear I changed the oil regularly and kept up the maintenance. Poor Quality--I can see why Pontiac went out of business.

Favorite Features

Nice styling

Suggested Improvements

Trade it in while it still runs.

13 years and counting
By eddy37

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine new in 2001. I've taken decent care of it, oil changes, minor repairs. It's never broken down or had any major issues. Has the same issues as other Grand AM's. Side passenger mirror just fell off, AC has been broken for a couple years, fan speeds 1 and 2 don't work, side mirror control broken. The car itself is no longer waterproof. The factory battery lasted 11 years. Took it on a road trip this summer and actually got really good mileage. To recap, it's been paid for since 2005 and has never left me stranded. Going to drive this thing until it explodes.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, engine, stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back Pontiac

best car we ever owned
By draybike67

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

we have put 239,895 miles on this car with no major repairs at all. Still runs and drives great,gets 28 mpg highway. auto trans still works perfect. we replaced the water pump at 189k ,replaced radiator at 200k miles. All you have to do is maintain your car and it will last just like ours. we are afraid to sell this car because it has been so great. we also have a 1996 gmc suburban with 278,000 miles and only had to rebuild the trans at 167k, and one fuel pump at 103k. it still runs like new.

Favorite Features

great style. handles awesome.been very dependable!!!!! Good Job GM!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

plastic vents need better design.

Worst Car I EVER HAD!
By mayhem2013

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car from a Pontiac dealership in 2006 with 57k miles on it. I was in love! However within the first WEEK of having it, the Security system failed. Since Ive had this P.O.S., everything imaginable has gone wrong, Security/Passlock failure, Intake Manifold Head Gasket, Power seating failure, Side mirror falling off, failing brakes, interior knobs falling off, AC failure...and the list DOES go on! I was horrified but the recalls and complaints online!.... Would NEVER buy anything from Pontiac ever again!

Favorite Features

She was a beauty inside and out! She was a speed demon and had a wicked sound system!

Suggested Improvements

I am currently trying to sell this heap of junk @ 160k! Pontiac should be sued and run out of business!