Used 2001 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Would Buy Again if they still made Pontiac
By Linda

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car New in 2001. It's an SE not a GT but there wasn't a choice for a 2 door SE, 6 cyl 3.4. It is now 2015 have 123k miles. Two repairs while under warranty, one was an oil leak and one was the ignition switch. Very little maintenance over the years other than oil changes and brakes. Did not do any of the other recommended maintenance. Replaced the alternator, tie rods and a sensor. Replaced the original battery at year 8 and still driving on the second. Starts right up with no hesitation. Still has speed and handles well. I am getting 26 miles/city more than when it was new. Biggest annoyance is the power Windows. Both had to be replaced and you have to replace the whole thing window and all. Over $300 per window even though the glass was still good as well as the motor, just the clips broke. Less than $2000 in repairs over 15 years. Not bad at all. Best car I ever had. Biggest complaint would be the rust (seems like all of them rust in the same place between the doors and the back tires). Started about year 7 and is pretty bad now. I do have to say I live in Chicago and the car has been outside it's whole life and I did not rust proof or undercoat and I probably haven't washed it in the last five years. Other than that area the paint and body has held up good. Time for a new car as I know I have some major suspension work that needs to be done. I'm hearing some mighty loud and strange noises when going over bumps in the last year. The service engine light goes on and off and the air conditioner blows hot this year. Leary to put any major money in a 15 year old car. All in all considering the original cost of the car, loan interest , repairs and maintenance it's has been an average of somewhere between $1600 & 2000 per year for this car, so tops $166 a month (not counting gas of course) to run this car. In all that time it only didn't start once (ignition switch) I was driving when the alternator went out so with some fancy driving I was able to drive home the 5 miles. The battery I replaced before it totally died but was taking a couple tries to start so I had some warning and after all it was 8 years old. As a woman it's reassuring to have a reliable car. It actually makes me sad to get rid of it. This was my first new car purchase on my own about a year after my divorce. It's almost like one of my kids, no wait way more reliable this both my kids combined.

My very fist car (Grand Am Se 2001 4 sp auto)
By Reinaldo

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in January 2012 for $ 950 and 176660 miles. It was what I could afford. turn signal switch worked when it wanted to. With ZERO mechanic skillsThe AC started working after the Ac relay was replaced under hood and has never quit working. As a maintenance tip, I run the AC for several minutes in winter time for proper system lubrication. Replaced tranny fluid at 182 K. Right after that I made a trip from Phoenix to Kansas City and back (2460 miles) and got 32 mpg. I replaced the factory fuel pump at 210 K ( $ 58 on Ebay). After several ten minutes waiting for passlock system restart, finally I bypassed. Breaks were replaced with ceramic pads (do not used semi-metallic ones ) and it´s been two years now and no problems. I went ahead and replaced timing chain, water pump and thermostat as a preventive maintenance last year at 218 K, but I was not having any problems with them. Never had random lights on dash but whenever I see Service Vehicle Soon, it means there is a blown bulb or fuse. My only complaint: rough idle but with almost 223 k miles I guess it has given me a lot for the money.

Great first car
By easye93

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 se 3.4 and its never let me down. I've had it for 3 years, and my mom had it for about 4 years before that. It has 242,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. It gets 30 mpg highway too. I've replaced the coolant temp. sensor a couple times, brake pads and shoes, tires and a radiator hose since I got it, and no major repairs were done while my mom had it. Besides the rust behind the doors, it looks great as well.

Styling, performance, MPG

none

Poor Quality
By mikee4667

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I would not recommend this car to anyone.
It had a water leak in the passenger side that shorted out a computer that cost 500 to fix.
3 out of 4 power windows broke, and the passenger mirror fell off when I scraped snow off it.
The security light came on and I had to have a new ignition cylinder put in-another 300.
I traded it in while it was still running.
Just to be clear I changed the oil regularly and kept up the maintenance.
Poor Quality--I can see why Pontiac went out of business.

Nice styling

Trade it in while it still runs.

13 years and counting
By eddy37

2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine new in 2001. I've taken decent care of it, oil changes, minor repairs. It's never broken down or had any major issues. Has the same issues as other Grand AM's. Side passenger mirror just fell off, AC has been broken for a couple years, fan speeds 1 and 2 don't work, side mirror control broken. The car itself is no longer waterproof. The factory battery lasted 11 years. Took it on a road trip this summer and actually got really good mileage. To recap, it's been paid for since 2005 and has never left me stranded. Going to drive this thing until it explodes.

Exterior design, engine, stereo.

Bring back Pontiac