2012 Volvo S60 Long-Term Road Test

2012 Volvo S60 T5: Getting Reacquainted with the T5

July 01, 2011

2012_volvo_s60_actr34_lt_613112_1600.jpg

Photo credit: Scott Jacobs

Last time I drove a Volvo S60 was a year ago, when the redesigned sedan first launched. But that was the T6 model, the one with a 300-horsepower, turbocharged inline-6 and the six-speed automatic driving all four wheels through a Haldex all-wheel-drive system. That car felt quick, sharp through corners, almost like a sport sedan.

When I got into our newest long-termer last night, it was immediately apparent this S60 has the same chassis underneath -- it has the adroit responses and direct steering that distinguish this generation of the S60 from previous Volvo sedans. But it also has the engine that time forgot -- the T5, the company's turbocharged, 2.5-liter inline-5. And this time the automatic is driving only the front wheels.

Twist the key Insert the key into the slot, press Trident-gum-shaped button, and the engine awakens like a large man roused mid-snore who then proceeds to grumble his way to the bathroom. That really sounds unflattering, but the sounds are familiar and endearing, and so far the torque has been adequate for all the passing and merging I've done.

Moreover, our 2012 Volvo S60 T5 has a 20 mpg city, 30 mpg highway EPA rating, so it will be interesting to see how it does in the mpg race versus our similarly rated Acura TSX wagon and Buick Regal CXL 2.0T.

I have the S60 for the long weekend, and while no road trips are planned, we'll be going to at least two baseball games. Anybody planning a road trip for the 4th? If so, make sure you do a fuel economy run and share the results here. Ha.... actually, if anybody is that motivated, snap a photo of your car and send the relevant year/make/model info, plus your blog handle, odo, trip, gallons to eriches (@) edmunds.com and I will post them on the blog in Tuesday's S60 entry.

Leave a Comment

Research Models

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Edmunds Insurance Estimator

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volvo S60 in VA is:

$125 per month*
* Explanation
ADVERTISEMENT